Best way to back up my phone

Guest jeannot18

Guest utternoob

Contacts are synched with Google, to backup SMS use SMS backup and restore by ritesh sahu. I think that works best. To back the rest up, use Clockwork Mod Recovery if installed

Guest Josh92

GOBackup is a great in phone backup app, give that a go, does both of those + more (inc messages etc, all optional).

I'd also recommend storing contacts with Google for easy sync/instant backup.

Guest jeannot18

Contacts are synched with Google, to backup SMS use SMS backup and restore by ritesh sahu. I think that works best. To back the rest up, use Clockwork Mod Recovery if installed

Yes I have got Clockwork Mod Recovery, I will to read about it as I have forgoten how to use this, thanks.

Installing apps has been a problem lately as my phone is full apparently. I will have to post something about this as I have a 16Gb SD card and I have moved all application to my card so I don't why I am running out of space

Thanks guys

JC

Guest utternoob

Partition SD card. Backup ALL data on SD card to computer, as it all gets wiped in partitioning. There is a guide in the forum somewhere, but I found it easier to use the option in recovery. /advanced menu/partition SD card. It gives an option for size and swap. Go for around an 8th to a quarter of the card, so 2 or 4 gb

Guest Josh92

You want Link2SD or S2E, will fix your low space issue. They move apps entire data inc cache etc, not just the apk. You need to set it up properly with a partition on the SD card for it to work fully though.

Guest jeannot18

I am bit confused now. I setup my phone ages ago and TBH I have not been following the development on the site. Currently I am running CM7 and the phone has been working ok. But when it come to space, I am running out of space. I have got Link2SD, and if go to Storage Info, I have got the following:

Internal (2% free) - Total used 162MB; Used; 158MB; Free 4.31MB

SD Card (73% free) - Total used 13.79GB; Used; 3.68GB; Free 10.11GB

SD Card 2nd Part. (64% Free)- Total used 500MB; Used; 180MB; Free 321MB

From this i am guessing that I have got my partition setup, but how do I transfer some of the apps to free some space from the internal memory to the SD card? Thanks for any explication (try not to be too technical if possbile). Many thanks

JC

Guest Josh92

Yeah, also go Menu button -> More -> Link Dalvik Cache Files. Check your space available after that. If your TPT is sensible you should get at least 30mb free once everythings linked. You want it to say linked not on SD card underneath the apps.

Guest jeannot18

I have tried that but I am getting the following error message:

Failure

pkg/mnt/asec/com.myfitnesspal.android-1/pkg.apk Failure

[iNSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE]

This is the same with any apps

Any clue?

JC

Guest Josh92

I've had a similar issue with CFX2 actually, seem to need to have about 24mb free to download/link anything for some reason, never had it before though on CM7.

I'm not sure what your options are other than uninstalling them all & reinstalling them again, setting Link2SD to link by default. You could probably do this by backing up with GoBackup, removing the apps, then restoring the backup. I think Link2SD will still link apps from the backup automatically. Maybe test it with 1 or 2 apps first (if you can that is).

Might be a better way around it mind you.

Btw, you'll definitely want to get out of the low space area soon as, sync & therefore notifications for any internet based stuff (email etc) won't come through until you do so your phone losses a lot of important features.

Edited by Josh92

Guest jeannot18

I've had a similar issue with CFX2 actually, seem to need to have about 24mb free to download/link anything for some reason, never had it before though on CM7.

I'm not sure what your options are other than uninstalling them all & reinstalling them again, setting Link2SD to link by default. You could probably do this by backing up with GoBackup, removing the apps, then restoring the backup. I think Link2SD will still link apps from the backup automatically. Maybe test it with 1 or 2 apps first (if you can that is).

Might be a better way around it mind you.

Btw, you'll definitely want to get out of the low space area soon as, sync & therefore notifications for any internet based stuff (email etc) won't come through until you do so your phone losses a lot of important features.

Thanks for that, I am in the process of doing it. I have uninstall a few apps in order to free some space from the internal memory and creating links with the remaining apps.

JC