Ad hoc Wifi woes, connected but no internet

Guest travesty

Guest travesty

Hi all,

I've been trying to get a wifi connection from my laptop for a while, and I've got it to the point where it can see the hotspot, get past the ip address issues and connect. However, even though it says it is connected, no internet is available and nothing works. The computer is sending packets, but not receiving from the phone

I've set both ends to static ip, and enabled the internet sharing on the ethernet link, can't work it out

I'm running the cold fusion x CM9 ics rom, latest version, on an omc skate, and I'm running xp on the laptop

I'd be grateful for any help, everything on the internet seems to be about getting the phone to see the network, or getting past the ip address issue

cheers

Edited by travesty

Guest hugobosslives

yer i could never get this to work either. last year i had a time when I only had one Ethernet cable connection which was always in my laptop. I tried for a while to get a working wifi connection to my skate and I eventually got to the same state as you are at.

aparently it is possible as tillaz told me he got it working but the steps he described failed for me. I eventually ended up buying an extremely cheap router and used that to broadcast the wifi instead.

Have you tried with a modded wifi supplement? I wasn't on cm9 at the time but a lot of roms have a stock based file which lacks the lines for this. You may need to track it down in one of the old threads.

Sorry I can't be of more help..... :(

Guest travesty

No, I haven't tried yet. I was on skatie until this morning, but when I upgraded, the connection became visible, so I assumed the mod was already in the rom. Maybe I'll give it a go then

Guest Redstarr1

I tried doing this myself, didn't even get as far as you. I found some guides where I had to click "share internet" after setting up the adhoc connection, but the screen was different on my laptop, no internet sharing button. Might be because I have Win 7 Home Edition, but I figured that my hardware just doesn't support it. I once used an adhoc-network of a friend to have internet on my own laptop. He had a Macbook though...

Can't get it working on my desktop with a wifi-dongle either.. Sorry :). It's not something I use since I can use quite a lot on my data plan, I actually tether more.

Guest hugobosslives

I tried doing this myself, didn't even get as far as you. I found some guides where I had to click "share internet" after setting up the adhoc connection, but the screen was different on my laptop, no internet sharing button. Might be because I have Win 7 Home Edition, but I figured that my hardware just doesn't support it. I once used an adhoc-network of a friend to have internet on my own laptop. He had a Macbook though...

Can't get it working on my desktop with a wifi-dongle either.. Sorry :). It's not something I use since I can use quite a lot on my data plan, I actually tether more.

yer thats the annoying thing. works like a charm on mountain lion. Dunno what the hell is going on but could never get windows 7 (home premium) to do it.

as you say. it works the other way fine. just not from laptop to phone.

Edited by hugobosslives

If you have windows 7 and wifi adapter that supports wifi miniport driver there is a possibility to use native hotspot that's built in windows7.

The advantage is that the same wifi adapter can be connected to internet and act like a hotspot for other devices at the same time - great if your wifie

signal is too weak to work with the phone's wifi reciever and ethernet is not available. Of course, ethernet connection can be used for internet access, too.

Depends on which adapter you set internet sharing on.

Here's my google translated guide.

http://translate.goo...19.html&act=url

Edited by C3C0