Will rooting void my warranty ?

Guest John Young Photos

Guest John Young Photos

I have the Huawei G300 which I love by the way, but just wondering if I root it will that void the warranty ?

Its been unlocked with code from Vodafone

Also if I don't root it but as I say its already unlocked will I still get the 'over the air' update for the phone when (or if) it comes out

Guest Colossae3.23

yep...

I think its worth the risk though. Not sure on the OTA's from Voda or Huawei, but to be honest the custom roms on here are way better. In my opinion that is.

Guest Colin Whiteside

You'll still get OTAs, as far as I know. It may be unlocked to take different SIMs but it should still be looking at Vodafone's servers to get OS updates.

Guest Colossae3.23

that is the rub. My 1st smartphone was a ZTE Blade and I was quite hesitant to root it, cause of the warranty issue. Waited like 6 months, but once I learned to do the stuff, the difference in the phone was amazing and I never looked back.

So, I waited less than a month on the G300, just to be sure there were no initial defects. If you do go for it, follow the pinned guides. They are excellent. Just take your time to digest it all and then ask questions along the way. Most people on here are glad to help.

I've just gone 50, and I'm no expert at all, and I did it! So really, any monkey can do it :) Just invest a bit of time to learn the jargon and the ways of things.

that is the rub. My 1st smartphone was a ZTE Blade and I was quite hesitant to root it, cause of the warranty issue. Waited like 6 months, but once I learned to do the stuff, the difference in the phone was amazing and I never looked back.

So, I waited less than a month on the G300, just to be sure there were no initial defects. If you do go for it, follow the pinned guides. They are excellent. Just take your time to digest it all and then ask questions along the way. Most people on here are glad to help.

I've just gone 50, and I'm no expert at all, and I did it! So really, any monkey can do it :) Just invest a bit of time to learn the jargon and the ways of things.

Well said :)

Best to wait a few weeks from your purchase date to make sure there's no initial faults - then your good to go.

Guest John Young Photos

Thanks, yeah I will wait for now. I have had the phone about 2 weeks now but I can wait longer... phone is still great as it is

I have rooted my tablet computer (Hannpree Hannspad) and that made a HUGE difference but when I rooted that I never thought about warranty... Luckily its been great

Edited by John Young Photos

Guest popoyaya

Go on live a little and root! I don't know how anyone can bear having a device that's not using its full potential. I had mine rooted and Infused within a day of buying it.

ROOTING "DOSE NOT" VOID YOUR WARRANTY....

why dose everyone think this ??? :huh: :huh: :huh:

adam from xda explains all the legal stuff in this video

[media=]

you should also understand that you can fully unroot your G300 at any time

Guest John Young Photos

adam from xda explains all the legal stuff in this video

[media=]

you should also understand that you can fully unroot your G300 at any time

Thank you and very interesting but does that only apply to US law... I am in the UK ?

Guest Colin Whiteside

Because the world is not America and as such US law doesn't apply to other countries and warranties in such countries?

Thank you and very interesting but does that only apply to US law... I am in the UK ?

you can un-root the phone... at any time, so law really should not matter

i'm in the uk... have sent 3 phones back for warranty repair, no questions asked all been rooted and had custom rom's on them..

obviously put them back to stock before you send it off...

and i know lots of other people have done the same on modaco,

never to this day have i heard someone refused a warranty repair / replacement because of root

if someone started a thread / poll asking if you have successfully returned a phone under warranty that had been rooted ect.

you will be surprised at how many actually have with no questions asked...

Guest krishang3

From point given from me, If you can find Superuser in the market, ROOT CANNOT BE ILLEGAL, I REPEAT IT CANNOT BE ILLEGAL!

Rooting, this apply for all, rooting doesn't void warranty either, I had my bro's G300 under full warranty, it had an OTA update, and i rooted it again then the phone stated to play up with the display, sent it for warranty came back few days brand new, So no rooting is not voiding warranty...

Guest Colossae3.23

thanks, all, for setting me straight. I mean that B)

So do you think this mis-information may have come from the fact that you can't get warranty for a software fault, that you've caused?

Or is that not always true either?

I have to say, it does seem judging from all the info above, that most telecomm companies are fairer than I first thought.

Edited by Colossae3.23

Guest Colin Whiteside

From point given from me, If you can find Superuser in the market, ROOT CANNOT BE ILLEGAL, I REPEAT IT CANNOT BE ILLEGAL!

Two points. There are literally hundreds of illegal apps on the Play Store. Also, whether something is illegal or not has little say on whether or not it invalidates your warranty. It's entirely legal for me to stick my phone in the dishwasher for eight hours; it still invalidates the warranty.

Most manufacturers and retailers are usually happy to replace and repair rooted devices if it's clear that rooting wasn't involved in the device failing, but they're under no obligation to do so for software failures when rooting was involved, AFAIK. If you root your device, and something goes horribly wrong and it winds up bricked, don't expect the warranty to cover it. I don't believe it's ever been tested in court, but AFAIK there's nothing to stop a manufacturer or retail putting a clause in their limited warranty stating that users root their device at their own risk and the warranty becomes null and void thereafter.

Guest Colin Whiteside

... and this is also very important: SuperUser is up on Google Play because that's how Google lets people access it for Nexus-series phones. It runs on practically everything, but that can't be taken as tacit approval that you can root any device without invalidating the manufacturer's or retailer's warranty.

I doubt there are many manufacturers out there who would get pissy over it, but if rooting was entirely without risk of losing your warranty protections then people on here wouldn't return their devices to stock and unroot when they send them back.

If you root your device, and something goes horribly wrong and it winds up bricked, don't expect the warranty to cover it. I don't believe it's ever been tested in court, but AFAIK there's nothing to stop a manufacturer or retail putting a clause in their limited warranty stating that users root their device at their own risk and the warranty becomes null and void thereafter.

i totally hard bricked jikobutsu's G300 on here, when we where where messing with the partitions... he got a brand new phone 3 weeks later

tilal6991 bricked his zte skate trying to unlock it, he got a brand new phone..

if you hard brick your phone rooting or because of having root, they could not prove what's been done as the phone is totally dead lol

meaning they have no choice but to replace it...

huh, i know of people who have hard bricked there phone on purpose

because of cosmetic damage, knowing it would not get replaced on those grounds alone

so bricked the phone to force a replacement lol

anyway, the method we use for root is totally removable and untraceable... so root on the g300 cant really void your warrant...

some phones can track flashes and stuff though... but the g300 is not one of them :D

Guest Colin Whiteside

Yeah, I doubt anyone's going to argue the toss over a £100 phone that rolls off the factory floor for £30. But don't go installing some obscure ROM from a Khazak highschool student on a Galaxy S3 then expect to get it replaced when it bootloops and swaps your phone's boot screen with a picture of Borat.

Guest popoyaya
tillaz' timestamp='1347353714' post='2019457]

huh, i know of people who have hard bricked there phone on purpose

because of cosmetic damage, knowing it would not get replaced on those grounds alone

so bricked the phone to force a replacement lol

Any tips for hard bricking my scratched G300? ;)

Edited by popoyaya

Guest John Young Photos

Yeah, I doubt anyone's going to argue the toss over a £100 phone that rolls off the factory floor for £30. But don't go installing some obscure ROM from a Khazak highschool student on a Galaxy S3 then expect to get it replaced when it bootloops and swaps your phone's boot screen with a picture of Borat.

Sorry that is just funny :D

But thanks everyone for all the helpful info.... Hmmm.. tempted now

So does the ICS Rom make a BIG difference to an already (in my opinion) excellent phone ?

Guest thepolodoc

hmm I had a HTC explorer before my G300 and its still away for repair after they called me up to say they found illegal software on it (superuser) and so they said i would have to pay £90 for them to remove it then they would fix the aerial problem. HTC are twats, never going with them again. Luckily with this phone its incredibly easy to remove anything but on my HTC they had quite low level system protection and were rather crafty. Typical with large companies eh?

Lets be clear: There is manufacturer's or vendor's warranty, and then there is your legal rights in your jurisdiction. Warranty does not affect your legal rights.

Your defect may not be covered under warranty but that doesn't mean you don't have rights to repair or replacement.

In the UK if the product fails within 6 months then the supplier would have to provide a remedy or prove that the fault was caused by you. After six month you have to prove that the fault was not caused by you. A simple way to do this is to restore the phone firmware and see if it still works.

This may also help those with "water damage" caused by humidity of keeping the phone in your pocket (a dumb idea anyway) as the vendor has to prove that the moisture sensor was not affected by humidity,

(This is all my opinion)

Edited by samjam