Huawei G300 unlock, upgrade and customization experience

Guest inamesh

Hi folks.

Firstly, a big thank you for everyone on these forums for the dev work and guides, especially the guy who wrote the "Explained like you're 5" guide.

So I ordered a Huawei Ascend G300 from ebay and as expected it was locked to Vodafone UK (I'm in Greece). I ordered an unlock code from korter_gsm on ebay and while waiting I upgraded it to the latest Infusion ROM using the steps mentioned in the guide.

Now (and this might be an Infusion bug or something else), when my unlock code arrived, I inserted my other SIM and it wouldn't allow me to even enter the unlock code. I was getting the "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped" error before I could even input the code.

So I force updated (volumeUP+volumeDOWN+POWER) the same B936 repack I had downloaded as part of the "Explained..." guide.

Now I was able to enter the unlock code but it wouldn't work! I finally managed to unlock it after inserting a Vodafone Greece SIMcard!

Now I didn't want to go back to Infusion but I wanted to lose all the Voda crap so I downloaded and installed ES Explorer and removed the bloatware with the help of this guide.

So the only Vodafone imprints left were the startup and shutdown animations.

In the \system\media folder I deleted the bootanimationex.zip and shutdownanimation.zip files, and replaced the bootanimation.zip with the Dice V3 zip file available here. This animation fits perfectly into the G300 screen and looks great (IMHO). There are also others to choose from here.

Everything is now peachy, but it has been a tense day and a half!

I hope this helps another newbie.

Thanks again!

Now I didn't want to go back to Infusion but I wanted to lose all the Voda crap so I downloaded and installed ES Explorer and removed the bloatware with the help of this guide.

So the only Vodafone imprints left were the startup and shutdown animations.

In the \system\media folder I deleted the bootanimationex.zip and shutdownanimation.zip files, and replaced the bootanimation.zip with the Dice V3 zip file available here. This animation fits perfectly into the G300 screen and looks great (IMHO). There are also others to choose from here.

Hi inamesh - I'm a newbie on B886 and want to install a stock ROM but am unsure what to remove to get rid of the VF bloat, do you have a list of what you removed?

Thanks

Guest Colossae3.23

Now I was able to enter the unlock code but it wouldn't work! I finally managed to unlock it after inserting a Vodafone Greece SIMcard!

Did you do this in the first instance, like when you were on infusion? Just thinking, that it's possible that you have to have a sim card in the phone in order to enter an unlock code?

Hi inamesh - I'm a newbie on B886 and want to install a stock ROM but am unsure what to remove to get rid of the VF bloat, do you have a list of what you removed?

Thanks

Sadly, I realized this much later that I should have posted a list. But I just removed the ones that looked like bloat. Don't remove the Wiper app, or anything else that has the android logo. The rest should be obvious enough. There were just 2 of them. Discover was one if I remember correctly.

Did you do this in the first instance, like when you were on infusion? Just thinking, that it's possible that you have to have a sim card in the phone in order to enter an unlock code?

Yes I had my other local SIM (Wind) in. With infusion, it did give me the text box for entering the unlock code. I just never got the chance to enter it! I mentioned the Vodafone Greece SIM because that's what it took for the unlock code to work. It didn't work with my the Wind SIM.

Sadly, I realized this much later that I should have posted a list. But I just removed the ones that looked like bloat. Don't remove the Wiper app, or anything else that has the android logo. The rest should be obvious enough. There were just 2 of them. Discover was one if I remember correctly.

Thanks very much for the feedback. I've searched the forum and found information in a few threads. I've documented them and will post a full list when I install a new ROM.