phone dropping off network (emergency calls only)

Guest Smiff2

ok got two G300s both with this problem, one running stock b888 i think, one on AtomicMod, both on GiffGaff. other phones on GiffGaff in same house don't do this.

basically the signal strength shows something like 3 ASU, but phone is "emergency calls only" and network state "disconnected".

Toggling Airplane mode sometimes fixes this, so does doing a manual network scan and choosing o2. then it'll show GPRS and a higher signal strength (e.g. from 3 to 7 ASU) and work fine.

Pretty serious, because obviously calls can't be made or received and not obvious it's happened if user doesn't see the "emergency calls only" on pulldown (the signal strength indicator in status bar still looks weakly connected!).

I can't see what's triggering this but it seems to happen sometimes overnight.

Could it be connecting to wrong network? i haven't tried making an emergency call for obvious reasons.

Kernel problem? hardware problem? ROM problem?

Any chance updating baseband fixes this with ICS?

Edited by Smiff2

Guest TangerineTractor

Mine's done this twice, on Voda UK, on different roms. Goes to no network, reboot fixes it.

I wonder if it's because network selection is set to automatic, and it's roaming for a stringer signame laybe?

does toggling airplane mode reconnect for you too? (try this next time?)

i'm not sure if i had auto network selection, or if i choose o2 from list, or if that makes any difference!

good to know it's not a giffgaff/o2 thing only..

to be clear to everyone, phone is in same physical place with reception so it shouldn't be losing the network connection due to signal strength, though i suppose it's possible it's losing it briefly and failing to reconnect then.

Edited by Smiff2

Atmospherics, time of day, junk radiation from the sun, humidity, badly shielded electrical sources, temporary line of sight issues ley lines, supernovae, goats, el nino and what you had for breakfast all effect your signal.

yes... but the problem is the phone never reconnects until user intervenes (reboot, airplane mode, select network again through 4 submenus). this is not normal, and it's very very bad for a mobile phone.

afaik it will stay on emergency calls only forever.

also i don't know how to tell if its disconnecting due to a normal signal loss, or dropping off from some other fault.

Edited by Smiff2

"Toggling Airplane mode sometimes fixes this, so does doing a manual network scan and choosing o2. then it'll show GPRS and a higher signal strength (e.g. from 3 to 7 ASU) and work fine."

I take it you are not in O2 "3g" coverage? I would expect to see HSDPA but not in a 2g only area of course.

Edited by Hogweed

that's correct i'm not in a 3g area. not sure if that's relevant though?

the signal whilst connected is pretty good (though in a week signal area, it's better than iphone, worse than Blade).

Edited by Smiff2

Smiff2,

Just wondering if the problem might occur only for those not in a 3g area.

TangerineTractor,

are you in 2g or 3g area when you see this happen?

I've never seen it happen myself. I have 3g coverage.

Guest TangerineTractor

Smiff2,

Just wondering if the problem might occur only for those not in a 3g area.

TangerineTractor,

are you in 2g or 3g area when you see this happen?

I've never seen it happen myself. I have 3g coverage.

I just noticed it at home,which is usually 3g. I hardly ever use my phone for voice, so when I'm at home its always wifi so I wouldn;t notice if the network had died.

i think you'd notice next time you want to make or receive a call or text.

can anyone remind me what that app is that allows you to script events? if i can get the phone to toggle airplane mode at 6am every day, that'd probably do as a workaround, since it seems to be most mornings its dropped off the network :wacko:

my other plan is to try a later rom like atomicmod, or even ics, if i have time.

Edited by Smiff2

i think you'd notice next time you want to make or receive a call or text.

can anyone remind me what that app is that allows you to script events? if i can get the phone to toggle airplane mode at 6am every day, that'd probably do as a workaround, since it seems to be most mornings its dropped off the network :wacko:

my other plan is to try a later rom like atomicmod, or even ics, if i have time.

Tasker?

• 1 month later...
Guest Aradalienz

I was having the same problem its definatley todo with roaming network because

for me forcing voda 3g fixes it perfectly solid 5 bars all the time in the house.

• 2 months later...

This is wrecking my head. At first I was blaming the ROM's as my wifes phone on stock doesn't have the same problem but I don't think it is cos it's happened with CM10 too. Anyone find a solution yet?