New BBC Media Player APP

Guest RussellS

Right, what a load of BS. Just been testing this out and the new app is terrible, also the BBCiPlayer mobile site is almost as bad now, arrrgg. I mean they really messed up the quality :angry2: .

OK, solution: use the desktop version of the BBCiPlayer website on your mobile phones browse(http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/). Favourites it to your speed dial and it's business as usual with far better quality than the BBC app or mobile browser site. :)

Guest RussellS

Right, what a load of BS. Just been testing this out and the new app is terrible, also the BBCiPlayer mobile site is almost as bad now, arrrgg. I mean they really messed up the quality .

OK, solution: use the desktop version of the BBCiPlayer website on your mobile phones browse(http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/). Favourites it to your speed dial and it's business as usual with far better quality than the BBC app or mobile browser site.

Thanks Rico_89, That's much better using the desktop iPlayer site.

One thing that is really annoying though is that after selecting "request desktop site" I have created a bookmark for the iPlayer desktop site and also a shortcut on my homepage but whenever I select either of these it defaults to the mobile site again and I have to go back into the menu and select "request desktop site" again. Why the hell does software always try to second guess me and thinks it knows what I want better than I do.

Is there any way to force a bookmark (and shortcut) to open the desktop site by default.

Edited by RussellS

Guest RussellS

You can try this http://www.bbc.co.uk...ayer/bigscreen/ may or may not help (can set to high or normal in settings)

That's not the problem. The problem is that if you browse to the iPlayer website with a mobile device it will automatically redirect you to the mobile website (www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer). The trouble then is that any video you try to play from the mobile site uses the new BBC media player app that doesn't seem to work for some, me included. I get audio but no video.

However, following Rico_89's advice, by going to the browser settings and selecting "request desktop site" the browser will redirect back to the normal desktop site at 'www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer'. Any videos you play from there will play using Flash the same as it will on a desktop PC and will NOT use the BBC media player app. Videos then play absolutely fine. The problem is that even if you bookmark this location, the next time you open that bookmark it will default back to the mobile site again because it thinks it knows better than I do what I want view.

Guest MickJack

looking again at the 'BBC media player' app, its just updated, but still as you say sound & no picture. I do find the bigscreen url works for me, playing about with size to start but items play well.