The BBC screw us over...again

Guest razzmataz1478

Guest razzmataz1478

Most of you probably now know that Flash Player has been stopped, which has forced BBC to create a new player for it's content. Now, seen as this is obviously not flash, you'd expect the BBC to have some sense and compile this for armv6. <br /><br />And as you can see by the title, we have in fact been forgotten about again.<br /><br />Thoughts

Edited by razzmataz1478

Guest razzmataz1478

Yeah. Depends on whether it is a lib or just a small thing which can be worked around like Google Now. I suspect a lib

Just had a look at the system log.

Any guess what the suspect is? (It's really easy!)

air.uk.co.bbc.android.mediaplayer

And here we see "air", no guesses this is the armv7-only Adobe Air. I don't think the BBC have grasped the concept of an amazing new web syntax called HTML5, which allows you to play video without any special libs.

Edited by razzmataz1478

Guest Redstarr1

I think that's a hoax. It didn't work with the Belgian television streaming app anyway. It's almost as if Adobe is pushing their software to every television company. It's about time Adobe realizes that stuff like Flash and Air are unnecessary.

Guest razzmataz1478

Agreed, Adobe need to get out of the mobile scene quickly, I don't think they've yet to realise that HTML5 beats every aspect (except DRM) of Flash and Air.

And especially, do the BBC really need DRM? They're free. I'm going to email them and ask why use Air.

Guest WestWallPoma

The whole iplayer experience hugely unpleasant at the best of time. Simpler really, to use get_iplayer, download at your leisure and into a format that is h/w playback compatible on your device.

Guest razzmataz1478
The whole iplayer experience hugely unpleasant at the best of time. Simpler really, to use get_iplayer, download at your leisure and into a format that is h/w playback compatible on your device.

Never seen this way. I guess you put that in a URL...care to explain a little further ;)