[Q] Hyper Threading ?

I thought this would be a good discussion seeing as with the ICS update we have the ability to disable hyperthreading.

So what do we know about it when it comes to battery performance ? I no nothing which is why I am asking, hoping the more in the know will drop by and share their thoughts :D

I know it enables our cpu to be as good as dual core performance wise, and hyperthreading makes the cpu more efficient, but as this feature was born in pc cpu's that need not worry about batteries running out, is it better on or off ?

Guest i am not a hacker

On is better as it turns on itself when needed. Also it saves battery anyway due toefficiency.

Its like having a 5kg weight given to one person, he will last 1 hour before doing it or turning hyper threading on and giving 2.5kg each and they will last twohours.

Hyper threading helps with multi tasking too.

They included this feature for the better

I had previously thought it was better for battery but with the ICS update seeing an option to disable it in battery tweaks got me thinking.

Anyway, it feels more cool to have hyperthreading turned on, it even sounds cool so I am going to say it again, Hyperthreading :lol:

Feels like some startrek powered device, engaging hyperdrive :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Simon O

Leaving Hyperthreading enabled won't affect battery life.

Anyone know what the processor frequency setting does? It doesn't appear to change anything I can see with noFrills CPU control.

Guest shootomanUK

test it out with a benchmark app, run the banchmark on 1.6ghz and then run it on 600mhz and see what score you get.

i tried it with no frills cpu control doing the same thing and the scores was totaly different obviously, however the phone seemed to still feel quite snappy on a lower cpu speed.

you could gain a much longer battery at the cost of not that much performance loss, really good if you want your battery to last longer.

Guest Simon O

The odd thing is it's set to 600MHz by default which makes me think it's the lowest CPU speed and not the highest. Doesn't seem to do anything if I change it.

I think it is something like minimum frequency. It is set to 600MHz, so it will not go under this frequency (except in sleep mode of course). If you set it to 1.6GHz, you might have some battery issues.

Again, I'm not sure about that, but it is the only thing that made sense to me :)

Guest BlueMoonRising

I think it is something like minimum frequency. It is set to 600MHz, so it will not go under this frequency (except in sleep mode of course). If you set it to 1.6GHz, you might have some battery issues.

Again, I'm not sure about that, but it is the only thing that made sense to me :)

That's how I read it. Try a higher figure, set a new custom ref in betterbatterystats and check CPU states.

Edit :- yes, just tried it, it sets a minimum processor speed. Seems a bit pointless to me but YMMV.

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest Simon O

That's what I thought. Very useless considering it's in battery settings. Being able to set a max speed would be better.. 1GHz rather than 1.6 for even better battery life. Could always do it with Nofrills CPU control though.

Guest BlueMoonRising

That's what I thought. Very useless considering it's in battery settings. Being able to set a max speed would be better.. 1GHz rather than 1.6 for even better battery life. Could always do it with Nofrills CPU control though.

Presuming you've rooted of course.

I had a good half hour session of Angry Birds in Space last night(it was VERY quite at work), I checked the CPU states immediately after(in BetterBatteryStats) and the spread was almost exactly 50-50 split between 900Mhz and 1.2Ghz for the whole half hour. I'd imagined that any game would max out the CPU.