sim card for osd

Guest kav173

Guest schkinx

i popped my cut down virgin sim into the phone , but its come up as T mobile in apn settings . got a message from virgin saying it would send the settings to the phone , but they aint arrived yet :(

can anyone give me a link to the payg settings for virgin .. pleeeeeeease :)

Guest BlueMoonRising

i popped my cut down virgin sim into the phone , but its come up as T mobile in apn settings . got a message from virgin saying it would send the settings to the phone , but they aint arrived yet

can anyone give me a link to the payg settings for virgin .. pleeeeeeease

http://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/connecting-3g-supplier.pdf you'll have to google any others.

1gb of data for £10 tempting, as I'd probably never exceed it, better than the £15 I pay for 600mb currently.

And no unlock fee. Was tempted by giffgaff but this may swing it.

Very tempting...

Guest schkinx

virgin's connection seems more stable than orange . I know their using the same network , but the speeds are up on virgin .

Gob bless Mr Branson lol :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Simon O

Bit of feedback for the Virgin Media Big DATA Tarrif. I picked a SIM up last month and topped up £10. Called 789 to switch the tarrif over to the Big DATA then waited for it to be enabled. 15 days before the end of the month it was activated and I got my 300 texts and unlimited DATA.

Speeds are excellent. Fastest download speed I can get consistently is 600kB/s and this is with 2 bars of signal on a USB dongle stick (as my phone is being repaired). Services like TVCatchup and bittorrent work fine.

I'm not 100% if the package is fully unlimited as the information shown in my account has an allowance of 95GB per month - however this looks like it rolls over so this might just be a quirk of the system not showing the unlimited status properly.

There IS a fair usage but it's extremely fair. If you download more than 10GB of DATA then between 6PM and midnight you are throttled to 3G speeds. Outside of these times you can get your full HSPA+ speeds. Since I got the SIM I've used 25GB of DATA.

I consider this to be a perfect pay as you go SIM for the Orange San Diego as it will function without the device being unlocked. You will need to cut the SIM down as Virgin Media don't provide microSIMs yet. Also if you have a mifi or a tablet then this is also idea for them. The terms & conditions do not explicitly state you cannot use the sim in a dongle (they just say the service isn't meant for them) but I assume if you take the piss they will politely ask you not to.. but they really don't have any way of detecting dongles unless they checked IMEI nunbers against databases. I would strongly suggest you don't use a Virgin Media branded dongle with this SIM though as they are likely to have the IMEI numbers listed.

So want a SIM? Get one of these. £10 a month top up = unlimited DATA, 300texts plus your £10 for use on calls.

Guest Simon O

Hi flibblesan

This is great stuff... any idea where I can pickup a dongle that uses a 3G sim card from...? mellow.png

Sorry but that's just a lazy question. All 3G dongles use SIM cards. Have a look on ebay etc

Guest DumonKri

Bit of feedback for the Virgin Media Big DATA Tarrif. I picked a SIM up last month and topped up £10. Called 789 to switch the tarrif over to the Big DATA then waited for it to be enabled. 15 days before the end of the month it was activated and I got my 300 texts and unlimited DATA.....

Thanks for the info. This tariff seems just about perfect except for the small amount of text messages. If it had more i'd jump on it so i could finally use the phone. No company seems to do a decent text and internet tariff like GiffGaff with the unlimited text and unlimited data, the 250 mins phone time for me is just a bonus.

Guest rickywyatt

got my virgin sim this morning form shop topped up £10

2 hours later got this message

virgin

All done! You're now on our Big Data Texts Tariff. We switched you over on 03/12/12

then this

virgin

Thanks for topping up. Your unlimited data and 300 texts will be ready to use from the 1st of next month. They'll last a month.

then this witch I can bleave

virgin

Your unlimited data and 300 texts to other mobiles are ready to use now. Think of it as a special joining bonus. They'll last 45 days.

in acount I see 98gb and 300 text

Guest Simon O

got my virgin sim this morning form shop topped up £10

2 hours later got this message

virgin

All done! You're now on our Big Data Texts Tariff. We switched you over on 03/12/12

then this

virgin

Thanks for topping up. Your unlimited data and 300 texts will be ready to use from the 1st of next month. They'll last a month.

then this witch I can bleave

virgin

Your unlimited data and 300 texts to other mobiles are ready to use now. Think of it as a special joining bonus. They'll last 45 days.

in acount I see 98gb and 300 text

Exactly what I got from them. I'm finding it to be much faster than Orange and it's been good for downloading films on :D

Guest Simon O

Aha! Seems Virgin do a very similar tariff to GiffGaff albeit with 100mins less talk time. It's pay monthly £12 gets you 150mins, unl.Txt and unl.Data. I'll finally be able to use the phone! biggrin.png

Here's the link to the page if any one is interested.

http://store.virginm...ay-monthly.html

Thanks for the link. As for giffgaff.. I'll never go back. They've had several outages this year thanks to O2 and I hate the way they only do customer service through a forum. Useless when an outage means you have no DATA services!

Guest DumonKri

Thanks for the link. As for giffgaff.. I'll never go back. They've had several outages this year thanks to O2 and I hate the way they only do customer service through a forum. Useless when an outage means you have no DATA services!

Yeah tell me about it. The value is what keeps me using it. But i think i'll get a better signal where i am using virgin's and orange's network, especially as the two cities i live in got selected for 4G.

Just to mention the virgin pay monthly only sim means you have to give them your direct debit details. It's essentially a monthly contract that you can cancel whenever you like. So a bit different to giffgaff but i set that up with auto payment so doesn't really make much difference.

Being able to use this phone has put me off buying a nexus 4 for a while. I'll wait to see what happens in the mobile phone market at the start of next year.