ICS now officially released UK

Guest chohan01

Guest Jamie :)

So it's eventually *official*, how is it for people that have it? Better than B940/B944? Giving my G300 to my sister and need a stable rom, preferably stock and wasn't sure about the official ICS.

ps. goodbye G300 forum! Decided to get a Galaxy Ace 2 yesterday :-)

Galaxy Ace 2. Haven't you heard about the Nexus 4 release on Nov 14th?

Yeah haha! I got the Ace 2 for £140 though. I have to get driving lessons soon, if I didn't; I would be getting a Nexus 4! The Ace 2 will do me until August or whenever my contract is up, It's surprisingly fast!

Edited by Jamie :)

Guest thepolodoc

Yeah haha! I got the Ace 2 for £140 though. I have to get driving lessons soon, if I didn't; I would be getting a Nexus 4! The Ace 2 will do me until August or whenever my contract is up, It's surprisingly fast!

until you use it for a few weeks and it just becomes as slow and clunky as the old Ace! I hate that series of phones with a passion

until you use it for a few weeks and it just becomes as slow and clunky as the old Ace! I hate that series of phones with a passion

My original Ace never slowed down actually! Maybe a little but nowhere as much as the G300 did!

Guest DaddyBaddy

I bought a Huawei Ascend G300 1 month ago from Sainsburys for £99 with view to getting it up and running on ICS, but having read lots of forums of people bricking their handsets trying to get a custom ICS ROM on there, I decided to hold off and wait for Vodafone to push the updates out OTA. In the meantime I unlocked my G300 via IMEI unlock code off eBay for £5.

Straight out of the box, it was running Gingerbread 2.3.6 on ROM U8815V100R001C02B885.

Within minutes of switching it on, an OTA update came through, upgrading it to ROM U8815V100R001C02B892.

I've happily been using that for a few weeks on giffgaff.

Last weekend (3rd November 2012) a new OTA update came through to my handset saying that ROM U8815V100R001C02B895 was available, which I understand gives you new Huawei All Backup software in preparation for migration from 2.3.6 Gingerbread to 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. I did the 22mb upgrade and it worked 100%.

I then checked for new firmware from the handset and a 609Mb file (UPDATE.APP) U8815_VODAFONE_B936_F came down automatically via wi-fi which was the official ICS package. All installed 100% without any errors. I'm now running U8815V100R001C02B936.

I'm happy to say it is running faster and smoother than the stock Vodafone 2.3.6 Gingerbread. ICS is so much nicer than Gingerbread.

A couple of things to note:

Battery life seems better. (Good!)

The dictionary is not working (not a massive problem).

The volume is noticeably louder. (Good!)

The voicemail number is still locked to 905 (Tesco mobile). Not a major problem. I just dial 443.

The Huawei boot logo has been replaced by a (not as nice) animated Vodafone logo.

Vodafone bloatware is back, but most of the useless Vodafone apps can be disabled and hidden from within ICS without 3rd part removal software.

Overall ICS is a much better OS for the Huawei Ascend G300.

I've not rooted it or messed with any custom ROMS, boot loaders, partitions or anything else at all. Having read some of the horror stories on forums about bricked G300's, I figured Vodafone would release the official update when they were good and ready to and was prepared to wait for it. It just goes to show that good things come to those who wait!

Edited by DaddyBaddy

Guest tykatem

Good post DaddyBaddy & many thanks as I'm in a similar position with my G300, it's running ROM U8815V100R001C02B892 and have been informed that ROM U8815V100R001C02B895 is now available to download. You've given me confidence to start the procedure and hopefully updating eventually to B936F and ICS.