[22/07/2013] Eco CM7 - A minimalist cm7 build

Guest jventura

Guest Snap.IT

Hi there, no idea.. Try to download it again, wipe data, cache and Dalvik-cache, reinstall again from the beginning...

Hi jventura, i've noticed this question a lot and you always seem to miss the obvious... overclocking.

In all cases with my previous work it's been the culprit.

Guest jventura

Hi jventura, i've noticed this question a lot and you always seem to miss the obvious... overclocking.

In all cases with my previous work it's been the culprit.

Well, since Tom Cox said that there is no reason he could determine, I guess someone who overclocks his phone and sees reboots, logically will determine that overclocking is the culprit.. Or maybe not.. :)

Guest Snap.IT

Well, since Tom Cox said that there is no reason he could determine, I guess someone who overclocks his phone and sees reboots, logically will determine that overclocking is the culprit.. Or maybe not.. :)

Maybe not is a good guess, the usual reply after they tell me they are overclocking is "i used to overclock my other phone and it worked just fine, your ROM sucks". :D

This forum is one of the best though, but users are a bit overwhelming at times and for some reason reading earlier posts is not something most are capable of doing for some reason.

Anyway, this is a nice ROM and i appreciate your work both with this and generally, keep it up. :)

Guest fahad.sagittarius

I am currentlt on RLS7. I want to know that, is this ROM faster and have better battery life than RLS7? And what changes are being made to original CM ROM to make it even more battery efficient and faster? If i compare CM and RLS7, RLS7 is much smoother. So is this ROM even better then RLS7?

Guest jventura

I am currentlt on RLS7. I want to know that, is this ROM faster and have better battery life than RLS7? And what changes are being made to original CM ROM to make it even more battery efficient and faster? If i compare CM and RLS7, RLS7 is much smoother. So is this ROM even better then RLS7?

Hi fahad, I left your post unanswered, did not see it!

Well, regarding Swedish Snow rls7, one user has already mentioned that can get more 12h of usage out of this Eco CM7 comparing to rls7. Here is what he said:

I've been running Eco CM7 with sej's kernel for 10 days now and i must report that everything (including battery life) is great. I can now leave my 3G connected all day and charge only every two days, which is an improvement of at least 12 hours over Swedish Snow RLS7. Battery life was the same with the original kernel, sej's kernel fixes some wifi issues on my Blade.

To see the list of changes, check 2nd post, and for tips regarding battery, read the 3rd post. When I use Eco CM7 (sometimes I use Eco CM9 because of my girls which prefer cm9), I usually get 4/5 days of battery our of it, with some calls, sms, and some sudoku playing (light usage)..

• 2 weeks later...

hi jventura, thanks for your mod. i am facing one visible problem - have you taken out tts? my copilot satnav flips out half-way through loading. some other apps crash too. then i suspected that tts might be missing. i just confirmed. settings -> voice input & output -> text-to-speech settings -> force close.

any chance you could put it back - even if only english? atleast those apps that depend on it will start.

Guest jventura

hi jventura, thanks for your mod. i am facing one visible problem - have you taken out tts? my copilot satnav flips out half-way through loading. some other apps crash too. then i suspected that tts might be missing. i just confirmed. settings -> voice input & output -> text-to-speech settings -> force close.

any chance you could put it back - even if only english? atleast those apps that depend on it will start.

Check the addons in the first post. The Assortment_EcoCM7.zip has several apks inside, including PicoTts.apk and TtsService.apk..

Copy both files to /system/app, or if you don't know how to do it, delete the apks you don't want from that zip and install it using CWM. It solves your problem?

Guest fahad.sagittarius

Auto retrieval of MMS doesn't seem to work. I sent a MMS from different phone to my blade. Only text portion is received. I am not able to download the photo in it..

Edited by fahad.sagittarius

Guest jventura

Auto retrieval of MMS doesn't seem to work. I sent a MMS from different phone to my blade. Only text portion is received. I am not able to download the photo in it..

It is working.. Check if you have the auto-retrieval setting "on"..

Guest fahad.sagittarius

It is working.. Check if you have the auto-retrieval setting "on"..

Its "on" even for roaming. And i tried twice but it only works when I turn on mobile data (gprs). APN setting is being configured correctly for both gprs and mms. I don't know where the problem is. Even if i try to download the image manually. I get a error after few secs that photo can not be downloaded :-(

Guest jventura

Its "on" even for roaming. And i tried twice but it only works when I turn on mobile data (gprs). APN setting is being configured correctly for both gprs and mms. I don't know where the problem is. Even if i try to download the image manually. I get a error after few secs that photo can not be downloaded :-(

It is probably a problem with your network or your APN settings..

I'm not 100% sure but if you can see the text it is because you are receiving the mms, or else you wouldn't even see the text.. Try to disable auto-retrieval and send an mms to yourself, if you don't see the text, it is because I'm right and you should check with your mobile operator. :)

Edited by jventura

Check the addons in the first post. The Assortment_EcoCM7.zip has several apks inside, including PicoTts.apk and TtsService.apk..

Copy both files to /system/app, or if you don't know how to do it, delete the apks you don't want from that zip and install it using CWM. It solves your problem?

thanks for the prompt response. i had a look at cm7.2 and it seems that contains a few more bits n bobs - a few libs in /system/lib and /system/tts. do you know if those are needed too?

Guest jventura

thanks for the prompt response. i had a look at cm7.2 and it seems that contains a few more bits n bobs - a few libs in /system/lib and /system/tts. do you know if those are needed too?

I don't know, have you tried already as I said?

Edited by jventura

didn't work

i copied both those files from Assortment_EcoCM7.zip to /system/adb in recovery. wiped dalvik/cache and rebooted. trying to initialise tts resulted in me being taken to google market to install Speech Synthesis Data. did that. now settings -> tts doesn't crash. but doesn't work either. can't hear anything.

i ported those two files from cm7.2 stable along with two libs - libttssynthproxy.so libttspico.so - in /system/lib and the whole of /system/tts. testing it seems to work initially. don't really know how to test everything. i don't need other languages. so i will the remove everything else from /system/tts except english. adding about a meg to eco.

Guest jventura

didn't work

i copied both those files from Assortment_EcoCM7.zip to /system/adb in recovery. wiped dalvik/cache and rebooted. trying to initialise tts resulted in me being taken to google market to install Speech Synthesis Data. did that. now settings -> tts doesn't crash. but doesn't work either. can't hear anything.

i ported those two files from cm7.2 stable along with two libs - libttssynthproxy.so libttspico.so - in /system/lib and the whole of /system/tts. testing it seems to work initially. don't really know how to test everything. i don't need other languages. so i will the remove everything else from /system/tts except english. adding about a meg to eco.

So your satnav app and the apps you need are working? I always remove tts from my builds, never used it, but I may make a zip file to install in CWM if more people need it..

not all satnavs read out street names, but those which do need tts. also, i have apps which speak out the incoming caller names and read out incoming text messages. they are handy, when i am home or driving.

copilot seems to be working now, but not talking to me. i can't hear anything. my other apps seem to be working.

if you don't plan to have tts in your build, it might be a good idea to have a tts zip file. i would have it with just english. tts is useful. not much in size, doesn't run in the background, as they are just libs and data. other languages can be downloaded from market/play or whatever google calls it now (i still use market v1.82 - perfect in size and non-bloatware, though i prefer f-droid)

Edited by ve100

Guest fahad.sagittarius

It is probably a problem with your network or your APN settings..

I'm not 100% sure but if you can see the text it is because you are receiving the mms, or else you wouldn't even see the text.. Try to disable auto-retrieval and send an mms to yourself, if you don't see the text, it is because I'm right and you should check with your mobile operator. :)

I think APN setting is just fine. And i was able to receive text part in cm7 also but photo was the problem. thought that i will be able to retrieve mms using this ROM. But it all proved to be in vain. Same problem with all ROMs. Text part can be seen not the photo. Its only possible once i turn on my GPRS. Might be some problem with my operator.

Guest jventura

I think APN setting is just fine. And i was able to receive text part in cm7 also but photo was the problem. thought that i will be able to retrieve mms using this ROM. But it all proved to be in vain. Same problem with all ROMs. Text part can be seen not the photo. Its only possible once i turn on my GPRS. Might be some problem with my operator.

It is most probably a problem with your network operator.. Don't you know anyone with the same operator as yours and with an Android phone? Maybe you could/should check with them if they also have problems..

The mms auto-retrieval patch which I implemented in this ROM uses the Mms internet connection to fetch the mms. Basically, when you receive an Mms, your phone connects via a data connection specific to Mms transactions with your operator's server and downloads the content, including text and images. Your operator's server is not handing to you the images, and if that happens to more Android handsets, it is a bug of your operator's server. If not, it can be a bug of CM7, although I tested many cases when implementing the patch..

Well, the patch is just an IF condition that checks if user selected auto-retrieval and it is an MMS comming, just allow the phone to connect to the operator..

Edited by jventura

Guest Baxxxx

Hi @jventura

Really is something wrong with mms auto retrieval, all working well about 1-2 days only after restart phone. After 2 days i need restart phone to receive mms or turn on data connection.

Best regards

Guest jventura

Hi @jventura

Really is something wrong with mms auto retrieval, all working well about 1-2 days only after restart phone. After 2 days i need restart phone to receive mms or turn on data connection.

Best regards

I have been using my CM9 build lately, but when I used the cm7 build, it worked quite some time with no problems..

You say that it works for some time, then from nothing, it does not work anymore, and after restart, it works again for some time, etc..?

Guest Baxxxx

You say that it works for some time, then from nothing, it does not work anymore, and after restart, it works again for some time, etc..?

Yes, exactly. Works well about 1-2 days.

Guest jventura

Yes, exactly. Works well about 1-2 days.

How many mms do you receive/send (in average) before it stops working? How do you check that it is not working?

Guest Baxxxx

How many mms do you receive/send (in average) before it stops working? How do you check that it is not working?

About 5 mms and it stops working. I'm receiving only text part of mms, and also sms from my mobile network with notification waiting (not received) mms. Also sending stops working.

I'm testing now Your Eco CM9 ;)

Edited by Baxxxx

Guest jventura

About 5 mms and it stops working. I'm receiving only text part of mms, and also sms from my mobile network with notification waiting (not received) mms. Also sending stops working.

I'm testing now Your Eco CM9 ;)

It seems the same as Fahad mentioned. Are you both in the same network? Which network do you use?

If you or someone else is having the same problem can you send me a logcat after the problem starts to occur?

To create a logcat:

Open terminal application

- su

- logcat > /sdcard/logcat.txt

Post the logcat.txt file here..

Guest d_borghi

So your satnav app and the apps you need are working? I always remove tts from my builds, never used it, but I may make a zip file to install in CWM if more people need it..

hi jventura,

could you give us the zip file to install tts?

tnx

edit: i just found a tts backup from another rom. it seems working fine.

Edited by d_borghi