Strange RAM problem on G300 - any ideas?

Guest newfold3r

Guest newfold3r

I have a Huawei Ascend G300 running Gingerbread. I've noticed a strange problem involving the memory.

The other day, my launcher kept restarting every time I pressed the home button. So I checked the running services and very few things were running. When I looked at the memory bar at the bottom however, it said 57mb used/1mb free. This device has 512mb of RAM supposedly, so something is obviously wrong here.

Since then, I have been checking the RAM usage bar in running services more often, and adding the used and free values together. From this I've noticed that the amount of total RAM varies wildly, I've seen values between 220 and 350. My RAM seems to just disappear and reappear randomly.

Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this to happen?

Guest unaszplodrmann

You may already be aware, but just to clarify, you should see 386/387 MB of RAM in total. The remainder is allocated the hardware/system itself and is never available to be used by apps etc.

Guest newfold3r

You may already be aware, but just to clarify, you should see 386/387 MB of RAM in total. The remainder is allocated the hardware/system itself and is never available to be used by apps etc.

That is about how much I normally have, but I've noticed it decreases sometimes, I've seen it at about 250, and at one point it got to 57mb.

Is there any way that I could see what is using all this memory? Nothing shows up in 'running services'

Guest MrPuddington

That is about how much I normally have, but I've noticed it decreases sometimes, I've seen it at about 250, and at one point it got to 57mb.

Is there any way that I could see what is using all this memory? Nothing shows up in 'running services'

Guest newfold3r

That is a very good question, and I wish I had an answer.

One option is to open a terminal session (you may need to find an app for it), and then type

su

dumpsys meminfo

This will show you a bit more details about the memory. I get about 50 MB of memory as "unknown" at the bottom - I wonder what that is.

Thank you for that, that command gives me all the information that I could ever want!

I don't get any memory listed as 'unknown' though