Nexus 4 in hand :D any questions?

Guest Zim

Managed to get one ordered yesterday got it about midday today and all i can say is that i love it!! its amazing!! way way better then the Galaxy Nexus, very well built, fast and the screen is lush!!

so anyone want to know anything about the device?

Zim

post-3299-0-12848800-1352928107_thumb.jp

post-3299-0-44042000-1352928114_thumb.jp

Received mine this morning, so will try and answer any questions as well.

Welcome to the club :D This thing is awesome.

Could you run google Earth. Does yours overheat aswell?

I just did it - it gets pretty warm in the upper back part quickly. But same goes with my Nexus 7 - Google Earth really strains the SoC...

Plus with wintertime approaching I consider it a feature, not a bug :P

Edited by k0nrad

Can you try the Google Nav in the car for at least 20 minutes? My old G2x would overheat and shutdown after 10 minutes of running the GPS with 3G - before I ever try another LG phone, I want to be sure they've fixed that...

Guest igors_s

I have a feeling the cpu is not optimised correctly.

Yesterday it overheated (heavily, almost too hot to touch) by using a weak powercharger (100mA output, I was hoping it would would even a little bit. It did not) and YABA (yet another backlight app from xda) while browsing chrome.

it looks like YABA was the main culprit, however any 2 conditions from the above did not cause the overheating.

I'm sure it will be fixed later.

just been reading iFixit's tear down of the nexus 4 and noticed that they say it has

Qualcomm WTR1605L Seven-Band 4G LTE chip ?

Qualcomm MDM9215M 4G GSM/CDMA modem ?

so the nexus 4 has an 4G LTE chip and modem inside that's not been used? i don't understand.. why ? can anyone explain, i'm a bit confused :huh:

link http://www.itproport...google-nexus-4/

more http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2012/11/19/nexus-4-has-sleeping-4g-lte-chip/

Guest igors_s

just been reading iFixit's tear down of the nexus 4 and noticed that they say it has

Qualcomm WTR1605L Seven-Band 4G LTE chip ?

Qualcomm MDM9215M 4G GSM/CDMA modem ?

so the nexus 4 has an 4G LTE chip and modem inside that's not been used? i don't understand.. why ? can anyone explain, i'm a bit confused :huh:

link http://www.itproport...google-nexus-4/

more http://www.phonesrev...ng-4g-lte-chip/

It looks like it's not used because there is no licencing deal with LTE carriers.

The bigger question is: is it dormant or actually 'dead' (disabled). Nexus is based on LG Optimus which does have LTE, so the inclusion of the chip is understandable. It probably cost LG less to leave it in then to amend manufacturing process.

I too now have one. So fire away.

Any chance you could test Google Nav with 3G turned on for half an hour? My old G2x overheated and shut down when I tried that...

Guest igors_s

Any chance you could test Google Nav with 3G turned on for half an hour? My old G2x overheated and shut down when I tried that...

works fine here. had google nav running for 1 hour plus wiht no issues. does not heat up. my 3g (H+) is turned on constantly.

Ingress drains battery like crazy though... as do most games.

works fine here. had google nav running for 1 hour plus wiht no issues. does not heat up. my 3g (H+) is turned on constantly.

Thanks, so far I haven't heard many negatives. I'd prefer the headphone jack on the bottom, but other than that and the lack of storage space, this may be my xmas present to myself (if they make more).

Any negatives we should be aware of? (The GPS/overheating issue of the G2x scarred me for life...)

Guest ethicalstrategy

I've had three random reboots. The phone goes back to the nexus logo and reloads.

Once or twice I've had an issue with the Wi-Fi. I'm in range of a known router but the phone reports that it is not available. I have to switch WiFi on and off to get it to connect.

Can be quite slow to reconnect to mobile network when coming back into coverage. I.e when coming up from the tube.

Generally though it has been great. Very fast and nice in the hand. A big upgrade on the galaxy nexus.

I also have one. It seems Google addressed the power management issues with the 4.2.1 update. (Even though that was only supposed to bring back December lol)

My battery life seems to have dropped since 4.2.1 - it lasted me around 18 hours before and barely makes it to half that now without any additional apps installed.

I went against my own principle of 'no phones without removable batteries' in getting the n4 and I'm starting to think I might have to change before long.

Shame as it's pretty much perfect aside from that, lightening fast, wonderful screen and storage is plenty thanks to cloud services. Too used to the convenience of swapping batteries out though unfortunately.

Edited by Arival

It drains battery like crazy because 1. 3d graphics (like many games) 2. GPS always on

If my old Blade can handle Ingress I think I will use it exclusively for that ;]

Guest everett_psycho

I've had battery troubles but looking at the stats HD widgets was drinking 30% of my juice, as much as the screen was, so that's been installed until that little bug of l gets fixed

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TouchyAndalou

Hello, I'm thinking of getting this phone and would like to ask anybody who has it a couple of questions.

Firstly, what is the sound like through the speakers? I'm assuming it has Dolby, which is generally pretty good, so does it sound ok when listening to music/movies without headphones? I know it's not going to be amazing, but how is it compared to other similar phones?Also, is there much distortion when playing back at the highest volume? And is the in-call volume loud and clear?

Secondly, what is the performance of the camera/video camera like compared to other smartphones?

Finally, can the flash be used as a flashlight? And can it be turned on during video capture in low light conditions?

Thanks in advance to anybody who takes the time to answer.