CWM Crashing on varous Rom install's?

Guest Titch82

Guest Titch82

Hi all

First post on the forums so thank to anyone thats willing to help.

I have flashed my i9000 with the latest xxj4 firmware using odin. Having done this and installing CWM I have tried to flash varous Rom (c-rom bean + c-rom mix and a couple of others). Problem is everytime the install starts after about 10% cwm crashes and restarts the phone.

I have tried installing different version of cwm with rom manger and also tried installing modded firmware with cwm built in but the same thing happens with each. I am now stumped and unsure where to go from this.

Each time the install fails I have to re-flash firmware with odin and all starts working again with my original rom.

Does anyone have suggestions for things to try? Or alternatives to cwm?

Cheers

#varous should be spelt various

Edited by Titch82

Guest richardj

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried doing a wipe data/factory reset, this normally sorts most problems out. Go into recovery mode and select wipe data/factory reset. It will wipe all you accounts ect.

You also need to make sure you have the right version of CWM for your firmware. Have a look here: http://www.theandroi...y-for-galaxy-s/

Look here also: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=788108

Edited by richardj

Guest Titch82

Thankyou

I have prevously gone through those links but maybe I have muddled myself some how. Have also dont factory/delvick/cache wipe also before each attempt. What I hadnt realised that only certain firwares work with certain cwm 's? Is this correct? I am going to follow these steps again by the book. Install XXJW4 value pack firmware with Odin. Then install F-Root-XX_OXA_JW4-v4.4-CWM3RFS.zip with odin also. Then boot into cwm + and install rom after reset etc. Should it make any difference if I have cwm manager installed?

Thanks for your help

Guest richardj

Yes that is correct. If your using JW4 firmware you need the CF-Root for JW4.

Flash the JW4 firmware using odin and then flash CF-Root using odin. Personally I would uninstall rom manager. When you want to flash a custom rom make sure you place the file, the update.zip on the ROOT of the internal sd card, then boot into recovery and select install from sd card.

PM me if you get stuck.

Guest Titch82

Cheers for that. Wil give it another go. 2 more questions that I presumed I knew but may well have got wrong from the sounds of your post:

Do-not put the rom on the removalable sd card?

I must rename the rom to update.zip? (thought I could just point it towards the rom as this is what I do on CWM on my other phone)

Cheers again, appreciate the help.

Guest richardj

Most custom roms go in the phones internal sd card in the root directory and should be an update.zip file. When you download the custom rom it may be compressed with winrar, you will need to extract it, you should then be left with a tar file and it will say update.zip.

So lets say the name of the custom rom is richardjcustomrom, it should look like this richardjcustomrom_update.zip, when in recovery look for "install zip from sdcard", on the next screen "choose zip from sdcard" on the next screen look for richardjcustomrom_update.zip

You don't need to rename anything