Best case for G300?

Guest doveman

Guest doveman

I've just ordered a G300 and want to get a case for it but I'm not sure which would be best.

The impression I get from reviews is that the G300 is rather slippery and the Gel type cases make it much more comfortable and secure to hold

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Huawei-Ascend-Screen-Protector/dp/B0081VA5SW

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008QB0S3Y/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

The second one's cheaper but one review says it blocked the Wi-Fi signal, which is obviously no good and I wonder if all Gel type cases have this problem?

I also see there's hard cases like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nillkin-Super-Shield-Shell-Hard-Case-Huawei-Ascend-G300-U8818-w-Screen-Protector-/221080752147?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DMRU-15032%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D130697074133%26ps%3D54

and leather flip cases like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gadget-Giant-G300-Leather-Protector/dp/B0090P8GKW/ref=pd_sim_ce_4

The leather flip case seems like it would protect the G300 in my pocket next to other stuff (keys, coins, etc) but it probably wouldn't make it better to hold like the Gel cases. I guess ideally I'd like a gel case with a leather flip front ;) After all the talk about the "blob" problem and how this seems to be brought on by having the G300 in a trouser pocket where it gets squashed/bent, I'm thinking I should just buy a new jacket with an inside pocket to keep it in (none of my jackets have an inside pocket unfortunately), although I might not always want to wear that jacket, so that's not an ideal solution.

So anyway, just looking for advice as I'm at a loss as to which I should get at the moment. Also wondering about screen protectors. I will apply one but just wondering if the one that comes with some of the cases is good enough or if there's much better ones that I should buy separately?

Guest TangerineTractor

We'll end up disagreeing here. I have currently in my drawer four different cases, plus one on my phone...

None of the gel type cases have been any good in my opinion - they cover up the power button and make it too awwward to use, and they come away at the side and let dirt underneath them. I have three in my drawer, an s-line one, which is ugly and too thick, a frosted one which looked ok but was to oawkward with the power buttion, and a black one with grips on the side, which I also don't like.

I have two cheap hard covers which are both absolutely fine. My original black one, and a white one I bought for a change, under £3 each on ebay. They protect the sides and corners, but leave all connectors and butotne clear. I like the white one because it goes well with the white casing of the phone, but I suspect it will get marked and dirty more quickly than the black one. The Nillkin hard cover in black would be my case of choice, but since I already have a chap black one, it's not worthe paying the extra for.

I have link #1. Plus a leather like belt case which takes the phone plus the gel case. Very happy with the combo. Yes the buttons are harder to press. I got used to it.

Guest doveman

I have the 2nd one you posted (S-line) and for me its perfect. Doesnt block wifi signal and offers good protection. It's semi-rigid

I guess it's cheap enough to take a chance on ;)

Guest doveman

We'll end up disagreeing here. I have currently in my drawer four different cases, plus one on my phone...

None of the gel type cases have been any good in my opinion - they cover up the power button and make it too awwward to use, and they come away at the side and let dirt underneath them. I have three in my drawer, an s-line one, which is ugly and too thick, a frosted one which looked ok but was to oawkward with the power buttion, and a black one with grips on the side, which I also don't like.

I have two cheap hard covers which are both absolutely fine. My original black one, and a white one I bought for a change, under £3 each on ebay. They protect the sides and corners, but leave all connectors and butotne clear. I like the white one because it goes well with the white casing of the phone, but I suspect it will get marked and dirty more quickly than the black one. The Nillkin hard cover in black would be my case of choice, but since I already have a chap black one, it's not worthe paying the extra for.

Interesting about letting dirt in, as there's a few reports about problems caused by dust getting in and having to clear it out, so if the hard covers help to prevent that, they might be better, as long as they also make the G300 comfortable and non-slippy in the hand. I should perhaps look for a cheaper one on e-bay though, it's just hard to know if any of them will be decent or if they're just cheap knock-offs with issues.

Guest doveman

I have link #1. Plus a leather like belt case which takes the phone plus the gel case. Very happy with the combo. Yes the buttons are harder to press. I got used to it.

I like the idea of a leather belt case to avoid putting it in my pocket and risking triggering the "blob" issue. I saw a phone holster in a catalogue but it looked a bit 1970's detective ;) Do you have a link to the belt case?

Guest doveman

I have one extremely similar to no.1, except mine has an extra hole 1cm away from the camera, on the opposite side of the microphone.

The one I linked to has a hole below the camera one. Do you mean yours has another hole above the camera hole? Does that serve any purpose?

Guest puiloong

Yeah, I too find the G300 quite smooth, and it's slipped out of my hand a couple times already. I got that same Nilkin hard case you linked, but it's actually providing worse grip than without it! With the case on, it slides off my hand easier, and needs a firmer grip to keep it from slipping. So, the Nilkin case lives in a drawer now. Has anyone seen a case for the G300 similar to the iphone 4 bumper? A friend of mine has it, and it's quite well rubberised around the edges, and provides TONS of grip.

http://store.apple.c...r-blue?fnode=47

Guest doveman

Yeah, I too find the G300 quite smooth, and it's slipped out of my hand a couple times already. I got that same Nilkin hard case you linked, but it's actually providing worse grip than without it! With the case on, it slides off my hand easier, and needs a firmer grip to keep it from slipping. So, the Nilkin case lives in a drawer now. Has anyone seen a case for the G300 similar to the iphone 4 bumper? A friend of mine has it, and it's quite well rubberised around the edges, and provides TONS of grip.

http://store.apple.c...r-blue?fnode=47

Yeah, I was worried about that with the hard cases, that they wouldn't provide the grip/no-slip of the gel cases. I guess the chance of dirt getting in and the buttons being a bit harder to push is better than it jumping out my hand and breaking!

Guest doveman

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B0081VA5SW

Does a great job. a.hides the white b.has tough (and bouncy!) corners which protect when dropped c.good fit d.nice grip.

Nothing more to say really.

Yeah, I think I'll go for that. If anyone can point me to a belt clip case to put it in as well that would be great and any advice about screen protectors would be welcome as well (I know some of them advertise as no-glare but I don't know if there's actually much difference between them).

Guest doveman

From this thread doberman : http://www.modaco.co...rotective-cases

Protective cases

I got this case from USA : http://item.mobilewe...#ht_2679wt_1399

Still very happy with it. Still perfect unlike the 3 I had before it that fell apart.

Cool, thanks. I'll probably get that then :)

EDIT: Actually, just noticed it has a magnetic clip. I note some people have concerns about those.

Edited by doveman

Guest doveman

Well I got the Gel case and that seems fine but I've had some trouble with the screen protector.

I lined it up straight at the bottom but it still ending up hanging over to the right at the top a bit, so I peeled it off to try again but it's left some visible residue on the right side and at the bottom which I can't seem to get off and it looks awful. I've tried using some screen cleaner and rubbing with a soft cloth and even scraping at it with my fingernail through the soft cloth but it won't come off. Any ideas what I can use to get rid of it?

I'm not sure the screen protector will stick again if it's left a lot of it's glue on the screen but I'll see once I've cleaned the screen and if not, just order some more.

EDIT: Oops, ignore me. I just realised it's not residue but actually the screen protector which I thought I'd taken off which was still on there and it was air bubbles underneath that which I was trying to clean off :blush:

Probably just as well, because I don't know if it the credit card I used to try and squeeze out the air whilst I was applying it or the cloth that I was using to clean off the residue not being as soft as I thought, but the protector is a mess now, covered in scratches, so I'm glad it's not the actual screen. I've tried reapplying it but can't get all the air bubbles out so they make it look pretty bad too. It's not very well cut anyway, so it ends up overhanging bottom left or right no matter what I do and when putting the case on it catches the overhang and lifts it a bit, so I'll need to buy another one but this will keep the screen safe until then at least.

Edited by doveman