[JB] [4.1.2] CyanogenMod 10.0 [ROM]

Guest Dazzozo

Guest soulhand

Those of us having such reboots, let me put something out there: these aren't 'random' for me, they occur in roughly the same geographical location and under relatively similar conditions. This may not be the case for everyone.

My experience for reboots is essentially the same as yours.

Guest tcpaulh

If someone could capture some kmsg output when there's a 3g reboot, it might just catch the problem. Not a regular logcat. See my signature :)

*Note* This would have to be caught in the act

Edited by tcpaulh

Mobile data ('3G') reboots:

For what its worth I live in a rural area (lucky to get 3G) and have not had a single reboot (that I have noticed). Just out of interest, have people had reboots on stock GB or ICS ROM's due to 3G signals?

Awesome Rom. R5 is lovely. "Avanti Dazooo" :wub: Great Work. go on

have one problem:

panorama camera not working. :unsure:

will check if any other problem to report :) :D

Guest fuddman
Mobile data ('3G') reboots:

Those of us having such reboots, let me put something out there: these aren't 'random' for me, they occur in roughly the same geographical location and under relatively similar conditions. This may not be the case for everyone. Notwithstanding I will try to describe the conditions in which the reboots occur, see what you all make of the following:

It seems far more likely to happen when there is flickering mobile data connectivity, under similar conditions each time. Even more likely if there is an app running which is frequently and intermittently using background data. An example is on the trains/tube, where both GSM and 3G/HSPA connectivity flickers on and off as the trains quickly move between the range radius of various GSM/3G/HSPA masts. The reception indicator in the stutus bar flickers between blue and grey, while the 'H' remains visible, indicating changes in internet connectivity. The 'H' occasionally disappears briefly and returns as expected when GSM connectivity is established.

Similar things can be observed when in a populous area with tall buildings and I suspect fairly dense distribution of GSM/3G/HSDPA masts. "How can this cause reboots?" I hear you ask. Well as we all know the nature of the technology in question means that the phone is constantly searching for better signal, when it finds it, it locks on to the mast emitting that signal, until there is a stronger signal elsewhere. This should be a seamless experience to the user, which is why we normally expect that calls don't cut off as we walk down the street on the phone. But in central London areas (or any heavily built-up areas) where there are tall buildings and swarms of people, I frequently see my G300 go from 2 bars of reception with H, to no reception for 2-3 secs, and then up to 5 bars of reception with 3G. I suspect due to a change of phone mast. If this happens frequently enough, even when in the same location, the phone reboots.

Now I'm no dev, but by my reckoning the reboots are hard reboots, caused by a Kernel or Radio level unhandled exception, triggered by enough 3G/HSPA connectivity changes. This may explain why some people are not having issues - you're not under the conditions similar to described above frequently enough. I get the mobile data reboot about once every 4 working days, which means in/around one in every 8 train/tube journeys, assuming no meetings across town. Random reboots don't happen at home; suburban area with 4-5 bars of HSPA connectivity all the time. I suspect I'm near just one mast with a fairly large coverage radius, so minimal if any mobile data connectivity changes.

I highly doubt mobile data reboots are dependent on network provider, as I'm on the same network as people who have never had such reboots. I also doubt it's the age of the SIM card - those with newer sims <1 year old are also having the same issues.

Let me make it clear that what I have posted here, it's entirely based on my experience and observations.

Might be competely wrong and other people's experiences might contradict my own - always willing to learn. But either way:

Let the trolling begin :lol:

My 3g reboot experience is similar. I mostly get them while my phone is in the cradle in my car or when in my trouser pocket. I used to get one a day on any custom rom but went back to stock b952 generic a couple of days ago and haven't had one yet.

Guest ivan.arandjelovic

Similar experience with 3G, reboots when traveling. BTW, it happened on stock 952 and stock+ rom as well.

Thanks for CM 10 R5, it's very nice but very far from being "daily rom" yet. I see that different people get different issues, so mine are:

- Excessive battery usage (3G all the time, but any activity on the phone eats up couple of percents), 20% during one night with no user activity at all (less then 8 hrs), seems that phone is very often in a "awake" status which should not be the case

- 3G reboots :(

- battery graph working, but no "per app" statistics

- very slow and laggy (compared to any ICS or GB rom), changing governors or minimal CPU speed does not help much (get's almost acceptable with "ondemand" and 320 MHZ min)

- keyboard often dissapears and needs few taps on the input field to appear again

- scrambled screen on the locker after reboot (but not always, usually OK if you leave it some time)

- EDIT: forgot strange in-call volume issue when the sound start at the OK level and suddenly becomes much to loud so reducing volume to minimum makes it barely acceptable

- etc.

but all in all, if the 3G reboots are resolved and battery life is improved it will be perfect :)

p.s. I'll try to get some kernel messages if possible

Edited by ivan.arandjelovic

I am looking for a way to have more reduction of the minimum display brightness in yr fantastic Rom.

Try Lux?

Downloaded R5. Thank you for all the work, Daz et all!

Was playing about with it while I should have been working at my desk today and messing around with Google Maps. Hmm, it didn't seem to be getting a lock on the GPS. Since my desk seems to be a bit of a blackhole for all things signall-y, I stuck it in the window for a bit. Still no GPS lock.

When I got home, I played with GPS Fix. Still no lock. This is a bit of a pain, since the phone has always been really quick at getting a lock, even on previous releases. This is essential when you have a boyfriend who has the directional sense of a housebrick, refuses to listen to you, but will listen to google maps and you need to find your way to somewhere. By this time I was getting frustrated. Time to try something radical. I opened the balcony door of my flat and stuck half of me and my arm with the phone outside, a bit terrified that a) I'd drop it in the snow two floors down or B) the neighbours would think I was mental or c) I might freeze.

GPS status took about 30 seconds to get a lock. I am now back inside and warm with working GPS.

So if your phone seems to be having trouble with GPS, get GPS Staus and hold the phone outside. Result.

Hey guys. I've upgraded to R5 OTA, and so far I must say I'm very impressed with the performance, relative to the R2. I haven't really noticed any bugs yet, although I have to admit that I'm not a heavy user. Anyway, I'd like to add to the reboot discussion that I have not experienced one single spontaneous reboot, although I can remember a crash or two. When I read your suspisions on that it might be related to data network connectivity, it occurred to me that I never have 3G connectivity, it's either EDGE or HSDPA for me. As far as I know this is due to my provider not providing any 3G, it was like this back when I used the stock firmware as well.

Guest malllik

Hy guys.

I've upgraded to R5 from R4 and I have a new trouble with connection g300 to wireless router. g300 causes disconnecting of all devices and restart wifi router.

Router D-Link DIR-635.

Any ideas? Thanks

Excuse my bad English.

Guest Colossae3.23

I am looking for a way to have more reduction of the minimum display brightness in yr fantastic Rom.

+1 for the Lux app, but you need to get the pay version to take the brightness right down. Worth in though in my opinion. It's a great app

Anyone else having problems with there sim card? Have no reception and won't register on o2 network. Get a popup "your sim card does not allow a connection to this network" Did have 20121512 installed, upgraded to this latest ROM but tried to install s2e and it bricked the ROM. Had to start from scratch :(

My experience for reboots is essentially the same as yours.

Mine too so far - one or two specific areas of the city centre in which I live/work very often cause a reboot. Interesting theory of yours...

If someone could capture some kmsg output when there's a 3g reboot, it might just catch the problem. Not a regular logcat. See my signature :)

I will try to do this next time I get one. Thanks for the tip as I was going to ask what sort of date might be relevant for diagnosis.

Guest popoyaya

+1 for the Lux app, but you need to get the pay version to take the brightness right down. Worth in though in my opinion. It's a great app

Do you spend a lot of time in complete darkness playing with your phone? :huh:

Guest Colossae3.23

Do you spend a lot of time in complete darkness playing with your phone? :huh:

not really, but it is great for when my wife wants to sleep and I can't. :P But the app does more than that. It is really good at auto brightness adjustment; far better than stock imo. It doesn't just read light from the screen sensor, it also reads light/or lack of it, from your camera sensor and combines it with the readings from the screen sensor thus giving a better sample of the light around you. No, idea of what it cost now, I think I got it on sale for less than a quid.

PS: not sure what's up with text in these comment boxes. It seems like some parts are configured to an auto setting. Anyway sorted now

EDIT: woah, just had a brain storm... I'm thinking now that the auto adjustment in Lux has been not been as good as before. The difference could be CM10. It has problems with 3rd party apps that use the camera, but I don't know if this issue would effect the light sensor. Anyone else using Lux on CM10? Have you experienced issues with auto brightness? Think there's a setting in Lux to stop it reading from the camera, so I'll see if that helps.

Edited by Colossae3.23

guys just put 2g on when you put your phone on standyby.

it resolve the problem

Can this be automated or do you have to do it manually every time? Apologies if this was already covered but I've been following this and other threads closely and read them all but don't recall anything about that.

Guest Buffalo Soldier

Can this be automated or do you have to do it manually every time? Apologies if this was already covered but I've been following this and other threads closely and read them all but don't recall anything about that.

I've managed it to be automated on CM9 with Toggle 2G/3G, but it's not working on CM10 :(

Guest pnunesc

After 4 days of using the R5 version, the problems that I encounter are:

• 3rd party apps not cappable of displaying what the camera is seeing (the screen appears divided in 6 screend that overlays over each other);
  • wifi reconnects randonmly with high speeds (tested on various access points);
  • battery life is less than the stock ICS from Vodafone.

As the R5 is the first ROM that I putted in my G300, I can't give any comparision is older R versions, but it never gave me a force close or a random reboot in this 4 days.

I've managed it to be automated on CM9 with Toggle 2G/3G, but it's not working on CM10 :(

Thanks for that info. Do you mean this app/utility originating from xda-developers?

https://play.google....ification&hl=en

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=739530

There seem to be a few others - not sure if any of them work on CM10? I must have a play once I get R5 installed...

Edited by dalyer