Still have this incoming call problem

Guest Colossae3.23

Guest Colossae3.23

I did try on the forum last week, as well as the Orange helpdesk and searching the web. I just can't find an answer to why my phone only rings once when it receives an incoming call. If I dial it from our home phone it rings about 20 seconds then goes to vm. But the mobile only ever rings one time; but it does continue to vibrate the whole 20 seconds until going to vm.

I tried changing ringtones. Same thing. On my first call to Orange, the girl gave me a dialler code to extend the ringing period to the max of 20 sec before vm kicks in. Didn't help. I think it was at 20 secs anyway.

Second call to Orange and they decided to send me a new sim. You see the only change that I know has happened is the sim card. I was on giffgaff and last week I switched to Orange and this problem shows up. The phone acted fine on giffgaff (I only changed because signal coverage is so much better in our valley, with Orange) Just got the new sim today. No change.

I'm on CM10 and even tried nandroiding back to CM9. Nothing I've tried has made any difference.

Just hope someone may have an idea. And, I hope it ain't something simple, cause I'll feel like fool :P

All the best

I've never come across this problem before sorry, Bill. I've had a bit of a search and everything points to it being network operator setting i.e. they specify how many rings until it is forwarded to VM.

If you switch back to your giffgaff sim card does the problem go away again?

Guest Colossae3.23

I've never come across this problem before sorry, Bill. I've had a bit of a search and everything points to it being network operator setting i.e. they specify how many rings until it is forwarded to VM.

If you switch back to your giffgaff sim card does the problem go away again?

yeah thanks, that what the first person @ Orange thought and it must be related to that. But if I have both phones in hand and dial the mobile from the home phone, it rings and rings then in 20 sec goes to voicemail, but the mobile rings once and the vibrates for the remainder of the 20 secs then goes to voicemail. Weird. I think I'll try Orange again.

Did think of trying the giffgaff sim, but since I ported the number over to Orange, I think that sim is useless. Like there's nothing to connect to. Just had a thought! I'll try my wife's sim in the G300 and see what happens. Cheers

Guest Davidoff59

can you tie it down to switching to the orange network? Never heard of this to be honest. I also don't see how orange can interfere with a user set ringtone.

what rom are you on? I'm thinking its your ringtones that have messed something up.Have you tried a reflash?

Guest Colossae3.23

thanks for the reply. The sim sway swap is the only thing I can point to. Pretty sure I was on CM9 when I got the first Orange sim. But since moved up to CM10, but rolled back to CM9 to see if the was it. It wasn't.

Just had a thought, when I go to change ringtone I get 3 options to pick the tone from. Media Storage, GoSMS, and Llama. I always wondered why the Llama or GoSMS was even mentioned. I'm suspecting GoSMS now, maybe something in that app is doing it. It is a odd app and there is a lot of marketing/bloat in it. I'll try dumping that and see if that helps. I'm also gonna try my wife's sim and see what I get with that. I'll report back if anything helps.

Edited by Colossae3.23

Guest Colossae3.23

can you tie it down to switching to the orange network? Never heard of this to be honest. I also don't see how orange can interfere with a user set ringtone.

what rom are you on? I'm thinking its your ringtones that have messed something up.Have you tried a reflash?

Tried removing GoSMS and my wife's tmobile sim. Still the same. So you think there's a fault it the ringtones themselves. Hmmm. To be honest I haven't done a clean install since the first release of CM9. I just nadroided back and forth, but if something got corrupted it would just get copied back and forth too, wouldn't it? So I guess that's the next step, a total wipe.

Guest Davidoff59

Well you were using music ringtone as in mp3 ringtones if I recall. Something could have gone wrong there. I would try a clean install. if it doesn't fix it, you still have your nandroid.

Yes the nandroid would copy the problem so nandroid restore would put up back to square one.

Clean flash, normal ringtone and try from there.

Guest Colossae3.23

nail on the head, David. Clean install now allows the stock ringtones to stay ringing. This wasn't happening before, but the mp3 one's still only ring once. Can't say I really like any of the stock tones, but beggers can't be choosers.

(although, I don't think everyone quite gets that :wacko:)

Just wondering is the problem with mp3 tones, a cyanogen thing?

Guest Davidoff59

Im thinking it may be a bug. The build prop would say use xxxxxxxxx as stock ringtone and then your setting a different file. Did you use an app to change to an mp3 ringtone? App bug possible?

Im not sure if the buildprop would change to reflect your use of mp3 files but I always suspected it was the use of mp3's causing the issue.

Anyway glad your sorted out.

Android sound tones are .ogg files right? I wonder would renaming the mp3 ringtone to say Thriller.ogg for example fix it? It may need moving to the ringtone file location in system also. Not too much work to try really, just backup before hand.

Guest Davidoff59

Just had a thought, when I go to change ringtone I get 3 options to pick the tone from. Media Storage, GoSMS, and Llama. I always wondered why the Llama or GoSMS was even mentioned. I'm suspecting GoSMS now, maybe something in that app is doing it. It is a odd app and there is a lot of marketing/bloat in it. I'll try dumping that and see if that helps. I'm also gonna try my wife's sim and see what I get with that. I'll report back if anything helps.

You get the option to choose those apps as they are highely likely to contain their own tones for use in the app. Android sees them and gives you the option to use them.

Guest Colossae3.23

Im thinking it may be a bug. The build prop would say use xxxxxxxxx as stock ringtone and then your setting a different file. Did you use an app to change to an mp3 ringtone? App bug possible?

Im not sure if the buildprop would change to reflect your use of mp3 files but I always suspected it was the use of mp3's causing the issue.

Anyway glad your sorted out.

Android sound tones are .ogg files right? I wonder would renaming the mp3 ringtone to say Thriller.ogg for example fix it? It may need moving to the ringtone file location in system also. Not too much work to try really, just backup before hand.

I don't know the file ex. for android tones, but I think you're right. I'll try renaming one when I have time. But the idea of a bug in the app doesn't quite line up cause I've had that app for a while now and would have used the tones from it on several roms.

Here's the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aura.ringtones.auranostalgic&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hdXJhLnJpbmd0b25lcy5hdXJhbm9zdGFsZ2ljIl0.

BUT, maybe CM doesn't like the app, is that possible? It could make sense cause CM9 was only out a couple weeks before CM10. I don't get many incoming calls so, may have not noticed it until last week...

re: post #10 yeah did think that must be it. But GoSMS just seemed a bit intrusive, so its gone. Just me probably :P

Guest Davidoff59

App may not be compatible with cm10 yet. Hard to tie down unless you want to go playing with the phone for a couple of hours.

Let us know how you get on with renaming an mp3.I'm not sure whether permissions on the MP3 may need changing.

Guest Colossae3.23

Tried renaming the file to .ogg then moved it from sdcard to system/ media/audio then changed permissions but no joy. But what I did discover was that most stock ringtones do carry on through the cycle, but a few don't! And it so happens that when tested it last week that chose one that rings once. Fancy that.

Try it out, under settings/sounds/choose ringtone. Some of the one's that only ring once are: bongo, new player, and Thriller three. Weird...

Guest unaszplodrmann

Renaming an .mp3 to .ogg will just cause the file to be rejected because the .mp3 format is not the same as the .ogg format, hence the different extension. Taking a pork pie and slapping the label "sausage" on it doesn't transmogrify the pork into a sausage.

Try it out, under settings/sounds/choose ringtone. Some of the one's that only ring once are: bongo, new player, and Thriller three. Weird...

Confirmed here - well spotted.

Edited by unaszplodrmann

Guest unaszplodrmann

This behaviour is by design, it seems. Android does not loop audio files set as ringtones unless a) the ogg container is used and B) the ANDROID_LOOP metadata tag is set. The solution is to re-encode the mp3 you want to use to Ogg Vorbis and then set the metadata accordingly. It should be set in all the standard ringtones, of course, but hey... ;)

Taking a pork pie and slapping the label "sausage" on it doesn't transmogrify the pork into a sausage.

Thanks for that... I just snorted beer out my nose reading it... :lol:

Guest unaszplodrmann
Alchemical Transmutation or Alchemy, Transmutation, or Transmogrification is the psychic ability to transmute one substance into another substance.

Iron > Gold, mp3 > ogg, pork pie > sausage, that sort of thing. ;) If you want a particular file quickly transcoded and tagged, chuck it my way.

Edited by unaszplodrmann

Guest Colossae3.23

No sir, I'm grateful for your help, and I learned a new word to boot :-) Got there in the end, that's what matters, and some one may find this thread useful someday. This thing sure had me scratching my head for a couple of weeks. Thanks again all.