Ubuntu for phones

Guest W0jt1

Hello. Today canonical shown their ubuntu for smartphones

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

Here it is. It also have its requirements which can be found here

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems

well, our blades dont have 1ghz a9, but maybe it will be possible in future to port this if someone have some knowledge.

anyway, they have conference on 7-9 january if im right, and then we will know more about it :) just an information for You guys, if i posted it in wrong place, sorry for that.

greets

btw nice to see that atom is in high-end, now ZTE Grand X In is pretty cheap, and if it would be easy to install this, this phone could get more users :)

Guest jventura

Hello. Today canonical shown their ubuntu for smartphones

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

Here it is. It also have its requirements which can be found here

http://www.ubuntu.co...rators-and-oems

well, our blades dont have 1ghz a9, but maybe it will be possible in future to port this if someone have some knowledge.

anyway, they have conference on 7-9 january if im right, and then we will know more about it :) just an information for You guys, if i posted it in wrong place, sorry for that.

greets

btw nice to see that atom is in high-end, now ZTE Grand X In is pretty cheap, and if it would be easy to install this, this phone could get more users :)

Lets see more details first..

But I would be interested messing through a port, should the details come out.. But we would have many problems especially with devices for which we don't have source code..

Edit: Ok, In the video, Mark Shuttleworth said that android drivers will be compatible with the new Ubuntu phone OS.. Lets see what comes of this!

Edited by jventura

Guest sej7278

Lets see more details first..

But I would be interested messing through a port, should the details come out.. But we would have many problems especially with devices for which we don't have source code..

Edit: Ok, In the video, Mark Shuttleworth said that android drivers will be compatible with the new Ubuntu phone OS.. Lets see what comes of this!

lol, you're as jaded by the whole getting drivers out of zte/qualcomm debacle as i am!

pretty exciting stuff, might tempt me to get a new phone finally, although a quad a9 with 1gb+ isn't going to be cheap.

i wonder how apps will work - i assume it won't run android market stuff, but will have plenty of regular linux software from debian-arm via apt-get, although i'm not looking forward to typing a lot of commandline stuff with a 4" onscreen keyboard!

lol, you're as jaded by the whole getting drivers out of zte/qualcomm debacle as i am!

pretty exciting stuff, might tempt me to get a new phone finally, although a quad a9 with 1gb+ isn't going to be cheap.

i wonder how apps will work - i assume it won't run android market stuff, but will have plenty of regular linux software from debian-arm via apt-get, although i'm not looking forward to typing a lot of commandline stuff with a 4" onscreen keyboard!

Well, it should run on grand x in

http://www.ADVERT LINK REMOVED.com/phones/ZTE-Grand-X-IN_id7467

price in poland is 1000zl, so its about 250 euro

pretty cheap, and very powerful :)

maybe some android apps will run. its all linux though

Guest KenBW2

nah, i'm thinking more like a google nexus 4

Always possible, and if any device is to support it it'll be the Nexus 4 (if they ever come back in stock! :angry:). I've been on the lookout for a new modern day Blade equivalent, but I think I'll hold off until after CES!

Edited by KenBW2

Guest probals

Yes, drivers will be the main problem. Surely this will come out on kernel 3.x, so the Blade with its 2.6 will be out, unless there is some dirty hack. Also read somewhere (XDA, I think) that 4GB of internal space has been mentioned as a min req. If that's so, then the blade is out.

If Ubuntu does make it on it though somehow, the Blade can be mentioned in the same breath as the HD2. :)

P

Guest tilal6991

Firstly an android version after 3.0 supposedly required a 3.0 kernel but we seemed to have managed fine without it

Secondly the specs you guys are quoting is for the higher end version. The low end is 1GHz processor and 512mb ram.

What I'm most concerned about is just how much compatibility there will be with android drivers and the amount of armv7/neon assembly code.

Guest Sulthekk

As far as I know ubuntu dropped armv6 a long time ago...

BUT... Did they write an X11 or Wayland port that is compatible with android drivers or they have just made unity run on android's graphics stack? The first would be awesome...

Imagine running E17 natively for example, with debian, or something not-too-resource-hungry distro...

Now that sounds cool...

Hardware accelerated desktop environment, with an advanced package manager and a wide variety of advanced (for a phone, of course) tools, like metasploit or libreoffice...

Guest sej7278

Secondly the specs you guys are quoting is for the higher end version. The low end is 1GHz processor and 512mb ram.

the low end specs i saw was dual core a9 (which means at least 800mhz) with 1gb ram, high end was quad core.

armv6 linux support won't be a problem, i'm pretty sure debian and fedora support it (for the rasp-pi) which means ubuntu probably does too.

android drivers probably will be the main issue.

Edited by sej7278

Guest KenBW2

armv6 linux support won't be a problem, i'm pretty sure debian and fedora support it (for the rasp-pi) which means ubuntu probably does too.

As you say Debian and Fedora do support the Raspberry Pi, but from what I remember the reason there's no Ubuntu for the Pi is because they don't support ARMv6

• 4 weeks later...
Guest balwinder singh

Try this guys Itz not a ROM but it gives the feels of ubuntu. I know u the guy is using nexus 4 so u may think it will not work on zte blade but u r wrong, I have tried it. It work just almost as when u r making a lockscreen in widgetlocker the guys says to 'tap on restore widget' but the uccw app force closes but everything except this work n the theme looks great on zte blade

Edited by balwinder singh