It ended with a "thud"

Guest twrock

Well gentlemen, it's over.

I was sitting at my desk with my phone in my pocket, and it simple slipped out. It landed on a carpeted and padded floor, and the screen came on, so I just put it back and didn't think about it again. But then, I pulled it out to make a call, and no touchscreen. Reboot. No touchscreen. Pulled the battery for 5 minutes and rebooted. No touchscreen. Factory reset, pulled the battery, waited, rebooted, and still no touchscreen.

I had this U8220 just one week short of three years, but it is to be no more.

Fortunately, a friend had a HTC Android phone to lend me, so I'm immediately mobile again. (I don't even know what model it is yet, but it has Froyo, so all is well.) But I will be making a new phone purchase today, probably a Jiayu G2S but maybe a Jiayu G3 or something else. (The build quality of this HTC is really nice!)

So I will probably not be around here much anymore. I leave you all in the good hands of desalesouche. It looks like he's doing a great job with his new roms.

And finally, a big thank you to all those "really smart people" who answered my many questions and taught me so much and did such amazing "hackery" and made such awesome roms and tweaks. I had a great ride here in the Pulse forum!

Enjoy it while it lasts! :-)

Guest pedrojaime

Very sorry to hear this, to this day I keep going back to your Styx ROM and even have sd-ext partition formatted as EXT4. As yet no other rom comes close! I will really miss your updates and I am even considering buying the same as your new ZTE device (just so I can benefit from your remarkable ROM contributions!). One final question for those who know - is it a good idea to have apps2sd and link2sd both moving dalvik cache/apps to the SDCARD or can this cause instability and is it best to chose between these 2 apps? thanks again for all twrock!

Very sorry to hear this, to this day I keep going back to your Styx ROM and even have sd-ext partition formatted as EXT4. As yet no other rom comes close! I will really miss your updates and I am even considering buying the same as your new ZTE device (just so I can benefit from your remarkable ROM contributions!). One final question for those who know - is it a good idea to have apps2sd and link2sd both moving dalvik cache/apps to the SDCARD or can this cause instability and is it best to chose between these 2 apps? thanks again for all twrock!

I was using Styx up to the end as well. I love that rom!

Fortunately I was already looking for a new phone when this happened. But I didn't end up choosing the ZTE (my order failed because I was using a USA credit card and trying to ship to Taiwan). I instead took a chance and ordered the new Jiayu G2s. The specs are really nice (if you want 4.0 inch screen), but there is at least some risk in buying a phone with new technology (OGS screen in particular) from a lower tier phone maker. I hope I don't regret it!

Using my "loaner" phone for the past few days has been enlightening! Wow, what a difference there is with 1Ghz CPU and enough ram to keep apps in memory! (And I haven't even installed any mod roms since it is not my phone to keep). The Antutu benchmark on this HTC Desire is 2168; on the Jiayu G2S it is 7000+ (can remember exactly what I saw)! 1.2Ghz dual core cpu, 1Gb RAM, 4Gb ROM should be really nice after three years of dealing with the Pulse's limitations.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It really has been fun, and a great learning experience, to be part of this Pulse/HW U8220 community.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Twrock, I regret that your pulse is broken, it is very sad

Thank you for all the support and all the work you did on this forum!

For lack of time I never wrote much on this forum but thanks to you I learned a lot. The world needs people like you who try to help others.

Just for curiosity, could you tell which phone you bought and if you are satisfied with it? I hope you are.

• 3 weeks later...

Twrock, I regret that your pulse is broken, it is very sad

Thank you for all the support and all the work you did on this forum!

For lack of time I never wrote much on this forum but thanks to you I learned a lot. The world needs people like you who try to help others.

Just for curiosity, could you tell which phone you bought and if you are satisfied with it? I hope you are.

I bought two actually. :-)

Long story, but I really wanted to try something powerful, cutting edge, but still very affordable. That led me on a search of the Chinese market. Yes it was risky, and yes, I had trouble, which I am still trying to work out.

I bought a Jiayu G2S: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2126293 That thread will give you some idea about what I've been doing and what I've had to figure out with a whole new way of working with rom updating. To make a long story short, in the first batch of phones there were manufacturing problems that Jiayu tried to fix with a rom update. That didn't work for me. But Chinese New Year was fast approaching, so I had to wait until today to send it back for replacement. (At least I hope I will be getting a replacement, not just a repair.)

So then I needed something to use while I waited for my JY to come back. So two days ago, I got a Huawei G300 (U8815) for free by re-signing with my carrier's contract. There is a very active community here on MoDaCo for the HW G300, and I didn't want to have to do too much work myself. There already is CM 9.1, 10.0, and 10.1 available for upgrading, along with a number of other rom mods.

If I hadn't already used the Jiayu G2S, I would think that the HW G300 was simply amazing. But I know the difference between 1.2ghz dual core cpu, 1gb ram on the JY and the 1.0ghz single core, 512mb ram of the HW, and it feels significant!

So I'll leave you with this thought: be willing to pay more for more ram. There is a huge difference when most of your apps are sitting in ram, ready to be used.

Oh, and when you are ready to move on, have a look at what is happening here at MoDaCo for some idea of whether or not you will be able to get help and updated roms. This is an amazing place!

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
Guest twrock

"Pulse Resurrection" (the sequel)

So I'm sitting on the sofa, looking at my dead U8220, thinking it's time to toss it out. But, then I think, hey, why not take it apart and have a look at what's inside? One tiny screwdriver and six tiny screws later, I've got it "open". Nothing too interesting there. I pull off a couple of ribbon cable connectors and reattach them without much thought. Decide not to do any more dissection, and just put it back together. And on a whim, I hit the power button one more time to have one more look at that old familiar screen, and... IT WORKS! :D

So the moral of this story is if you've dropped your phone and something no longer works, go ahead and take it apart and at least wiggle stuff to see if it just might start working again. You never know.

BTW, my wife is using the Huawei G300 and really liking it as a phone. (She's got a Kindle Fire HD, so she doesn't really want to do more than make calls with the phone; that's a shame.) I'm using my replacement Jiayu G2S, which is working flawlessly (finally). So my faithful U8220 is not being "buried", but is instead going into "retirement" just in case I need to bring it back some day when one of the other phones gets dropped.