OTG cables

Guest Cowgers123

Guest ColdEmbrace

I can confirm that usb mice work but your mileage may vary. I had ome usb mouse which draws little power that worked no issues. My other mouse which draws more power didn't.

Haven't been able to get my pen drive to work in it. Not that big of a deal now days cloud storage is the key :).

I'll test a keyboard when I find the time to dig one out and let you know the results.

• 1 month later...
Guest DaveSimonH

I picked up an OTG cable on Amazon for £0.80, plugged in my wireless mouse and the cursor popped right up on screen. Haven't tried anything else yet, but even if its the only thing that works it was well worth 80p lol

Noticed that while connected, if I used the mouse in standby mode the screen woke. Maybe a way to avoid battering the Power button? Although will need to test after its been in standby for 30+mins

Edited out "pooped" for "popped" :)

By the way, left it plugged in and waited 1hr10m then used the mouse. It woke the phone up, so definitely seems like a viable alternate to using power button.

Edited by DaveSimonH

• 1 month later...
Guest gbjbasdw

Hi guys, Came across this thread while looking for how to connect an external keyboard to an Oange San Diego. Can DavidSimonH tell me what cable he bought from Amazon please. Also is it possible to get both a mouse and keyboard attached and, if so, how ? Thanks, Steve

Edited by gbjbasdw

Guest DaveSimonH

Sorry for the late response gbjbasdw, haven't been on the forum for a while. I bought my cable from this listing, the seller I used is no longer selling the cables (and I just got a straight cable not a right angled one as pictured). As BlueMoonRising said, any cable should be fine if you get from a "OTG" listing.

Guest gbjbasdw

Guys - just a quick update on my very positive experience. I bought a 99p cable off eBay and it arrived today. I first tried a Logitech laser mouse and that worked great. The mouse pointer appeared on the Orange San Diego phone screen and I can use the scroll wheel as well as the left/right mouse buttons. Then I tried plugging in the generic USB Chinese keyboard that came with my generic Chinese Android tablet. This seems to be working quite well in some apps but it's not too clever in my text messaging native app. I then attached a small USB 4 port hub and plugging in both the mouse and the keyboard and happily both seem to work just fine. Many thanks to the folk in this thread and your kind responses. Steve

Edited by gbjbasdw

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Thedarkphonetech

My pen drive lights up but I can't seem to find how to open files via the phone? Can anyone help?

Ps. I have checked es file explorer nothing comes up?

Guest DaveSimonH

I believe the OSD can't use OTG usb for pen/thumb drives, just keyboards, mouse etc

But it wasn't a huge concern from me, after I rooted and then installed a 32GB microSD in the hidden slot.

Guest gbjbasdw

David - are you saying that if you root an OSD you can use a microSD card which is inserted in the slot inside the device ? If so can you give us some idea of a) how difficult it is to physically open the phone b ) how difficult it is to root the phone. As I have never done this to ANY phone I'd be interested in knowing what is involved in doing it. Mine is running the stock Android ICS 4.0.4 from Orange.

Edited by gbjbasdw

Guest i am not a hacker

If you search the forum you'll find what you need very easily. Use the search bar.

The AIO tool is very easy to use and it will enable to sd card slot, root it for you, and a lot more with a few clicks.

So yes it's easy to use an sd card slot.

As far as removing the back is concerned, it varies. If I had to estimate the time, it would be 10mins.

Guest DaveSimonH

As the two members above said, it's relatively easy to do if you use the AIO tool and read its manual. However if you've installed the 12MB update I think you have to install xolo first. Either way you should head to the AIO thread and start reading.

If rooting works out, then getting the back off isn't too hard. Most people say to start at the sim card slot with a credit card and gently start prying it off, however I've had more luck starting at the little gap at the headphone jack.