Unbearable typing lag - can we fix this?!

Guest ACS10

Hi all,

I have a dilemma with my G300. It comes in the form of typing lag, ESPECIALLY when I'm using Whatsapp. It doesn't really happen via SMS or other inputs, Whatsapp is the main app I use where I notice it the most. Today I installed Viber as an alternative and the lag is there too.

The lag is most apparent with SwiftKey (my most used keyboard). It's so bad I decided to give various other keyboards a go including the new "Kii" which is very much like SwiftKey but suffers the same issue on my phone.

The lag becomes even worse when I'm running a background app such as TuneIn in my case. I've tried older versions of TuneIn thinking it was consuming too much ram but it's always the same.

I realise our G300s only have 512MB ram but I was using a Galaxy Europa before this with less than half of that and I never had this sort of lag with my keyboard. The lag isn't anywhere near as apparent when I use the stock keyboard but I have big hands and I simply can't use it!

CM9 R7 is the best build I've used on this phone - it fixes the volume issues and everything else, but this lag caused me to try Lightning rom today. I have the same problem there too.

I've been back to Gingerbread but there are so many issues with those roms it's not worth it. I feel I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with the G300. CM9 ICS is actually really fluent at all other tasks but when it comes to typing it's so frustrating.

I've come to the conclusion its a problem with memory usage based on what I'm seeing, other people with other phones can be found complaining about ICS and keyboard lag via Google - https://www.google.c...iw=1366&bih=624

So does anyone else experience it this bad and what have you done to overcome it? :)

Edit :: I should add that I've messed with all the options in memory management / Performance in CM9 and they haven't really made a difference. :(

Edited by ACS10

If you were on lightning ROM, all you had to do is install the CM9 keyboard I posted on the thread. The keyboard is super responsive like an iPhone.

Yes mate, I did, but I can't really get on with it! :( My big old hands need Swiftkey (or similar) as I rely on predictions and learning my typing style too much. lol, maybe I should force myself to get used to the CM9 keyboard... It's just a shame I can't use Swiftkey in Whatsapp etc as everything else is nigh-on perfect!

Good work with Lightning btw!

Yes mate, I did, but I can't really get on with it! sad.png My big old hands need Swiftkey (or similar) as I rely on predictions and learning my typing style too much. lol, maybe I should force myself to get used to the CM9 keyboard... It's just a shame I can't use Swiftkey in Whatsapp etc as everything else is nigh-on perfect!

Good work with Lightning btw!

Thanks mate.

Downloading a fair bit last night was the first time I got typing lag back. Just a little, and that was using kii. Theming kii slows it down fractionally I found. Otherwise it's the best swipe keyboard i'd found.

Main thing id I think that this is a single core phone. Doing other stuff considerably throttles CPU cycles. I find if I disable everything watching to notify me of stuff, like gmail notifications, Facebook etc, none of which I really need.. I can check that stiff when I need it, then I have a nice fast phone.

I'd recommend cm 10.1 for the built in swipe keyboard. Using it now and it's pretty damn good.

Edited by fr0do