A couple "Restore To Stock" questions

Guest JackRackham

Guest JackRackham

Hey guys, this is my real first post here so let me spend a few words... I got this G300 off ebay at a very reasonable price and after a few weeks I'm pretty satisfied... after the first boot there was a new firmware upgrade available through OTA and I did it... now I have ICS 4.0.3 Baseband 2030 Build number U8815V100R001C02B952, Vodafone branded (i'm from Italy)

I spent the last few days lurking on this forum, reading guides and posts... I'm familiar with rooting and unlocking on other Android devices so after reading the guides I have no problems about that, but I still have some questions (I don't want to try custom firmwares until I'm familiar with this device too!)...

1) I found several links on the forum pointing to a Huawei "generic firmware"... is that a no-brand version of the firmware? I can flash it on my device?

http://www.huaweidev...softid=NDcwMjk=

EDIT: the answer is YES, the General Version B952 it's a no-brand rom, just plain ICS. It's so clean that you will even lose some of the Huawei stuff, like the toggles and the FM Radio. The stuff it's still on the ROM, you have to flash a vendor file from a previous version to enable it, or just install a replacement app from Play Store.

And YES, it can be flashed OVER the Vodafone B952 (i did it a couple days ago!)

2) I can't find a Vodafone B952 stock firmware anywhere... If I ever need to get back to my Vodafone stock the only way would be downgrading to GB and then upgrade all the way to ICS? (like explained here http://www.modaco.co...ly-working-110/)

EDIT: there's no Vodafone B952 stock rom available at the moment, so the only way to go back to Vodafone stock would be downgrading to GB and then upgrade to ICS via OTA.

Well... that's all!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! :)

--

JackRackham

Edited by JackRackham

Re #2 - I presume you'd like the original update.app but I can't find it either. However there is a CWM zip repack of the Vodafone B952 (UK?) here in case that's of any use:

http://www.modaco.co...ne-release-rom/

Bear in mind that a repack is not strictly the same as an update.app - e.g. won't update RIL and may not allow GB downgrade?

Edit: oh - just noticed that the repack has removed some VF stuff:

Edited by dalyer

Guest JackRackham

Yeah kyan, that's delightful but not really helpful... :)

As I said, I spent the last days wandering on the forums, so if I post a question maybe it's because the available informations do not directly solve my doubts or because they're put in a way that I just fail to understand... or maybe I'm using the wrong keywords in the search bar and I will never get to the answer...

So, I used the search bar and I didn't find my answers... I would be really happy to be proven wrong... Can you actually contribute to this thread? Thanks a lot in advance, your help would be very appreciated! :D

--

Jack Rackham

Guest JackRackham

Re #2 - I presume you'd like the original update.app but I can't find it either. However there is a CWM zip repack of the Vodafone B952 (UK?) here in case that's of any use:

http://www.modaco.co...ne-release-rom/

Bear in mind that a repack is not strictly the same as an update.app - e.g. won't update RIL and may not allow GB downgrade?

Hey dalyer, thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I'd like the original update.app... I think it's just a matter of time, sooner or later it will popup somewhere on the net...

For now I'd like to avoid CWM repack... the only reason I would ever get back to stock Vodafone it's if I have to send back the unit for service and I don't think a CWM repack would do the trick... or yes?

Well, thanks for now, I'll keep looking around! :)

the only reason I would ever get back to stock Vodafone it's if I have to send back the unit for service and I don't think a CWM repack would do the trick... or yes?

I'm not sure that they'd notice but maybe they are more aware of the modding that goes on than I assumed and do check....

Thanks bladebuddy. I've always found it difficult to find stuff on the Huawei site - if you go through the G300 page etc. it doesn't list stuff that is relevant and which I know is there through some other route (maybe best to use Google site:huaweidevice.com etc.?)

Guest JackRackham

Yeah, that's the link I posted up above... That's the general version... I had problems locating that update, because the G300 is listed twice in the product list, with slightly different names:

- HUAWEI G300 here you can find the "B952 General Version" and the "B948 Singapore BP"

- Huawei Ascend G300: here you can find the "B952 Serbia Telekom"

--

JackRackham

Guest JackRackham

It seems that B592 is too new and there's no Vodafone ROM around yet... meanwhile I found the answer to my first question, a guy on the forum did it like a month ago... can't find the link now, but I sent a PM to the guy...

Guest JackRackham

Hi Contraband, that's the "long road", if no appropriate rom shows up that would be the only way to get back to stock Vodafone...

BTW, anyone actually flashed the general version B952? Would you please tell me wich languages are included? Thanks a lot in advance!

--

JackRackham

Guest JackRackham

Ok, I think I found answers for my questions, so I will edit the first post and we can consider this thread "done" until any news becomes available!

Thanks to all for the efforts!

--

JackRackham

Hi Contraband, that's the "long road", if no appropriate rom shows up that would be the only way to get back to stock Vodafone...

BTW, anyone actually flashed the general version B952? Would you please tell me wich languages are included? Thanks a lot in advance!

--

JackRackham

I flashed to B952 a week or so ago on three of these phones after hitting a problem with 944 ( I think ) and sygic sat nav ( even after the update I ended up reverting to an older version of sygic ) so far the roms worked ok but you loose the radio and the button bar but you can get those back with the update file I was sent by my phone supplier.

As for languages, gerneral version B952 has every one, theres a huge list to pick from.

If anyone wants the update to get the radio and button bar back I have it here, I just need guidance on how to upload it.

While the general version stock rom is pretty good, I hate the ICS dialer and found out today that I cant set any other dialer app as default so Im looking at maybe reverting to GB !

Edited by Martop