SFII Going Flat Quickly? Try this, FYI....

Guest Reider59

Guest Reider59

I had my SFII 7 months and the battery was flat as a pancake in no time at all at the 7 month stage, prior to which it ran perfect and lastedc well. I reinstalled FnC 6, which is my preferred phone set up. Wiped the battery stats etc, did everything. No can do, battery needed. Got a new one for a tenner and an official one at that. Some 6/7 months later it starts again and I run the same checks. I love that phone to bits but a battery every few months just irks me so I decide it's time to slip the phone in a drawer or sell it cheap. Then I start to look for a new one, on my budget it has to be cheap. But I still hate losing my SFII deep down.

Anyway I take the present 02 card and Micro SD card out and put them in one of my spares, which is reknowned for lasting well on power but not an android phone. Next morning, you guessed it yes 100% power down to 35% just overnight. I did some tests, then checked the net and confirmed it's a problem with some SD Cards. Copied the contents, formatted the card in the phone, put the contents back, reinstalled FnC 6, emptied the phone stats, ran my backups back in from Titanium Backup and et voila! Overnight the phone was left at 100% power, 12 hours later it's on 97% and holding well. It always always dropped 8% overnight even when running well so this too is an improvement and though it's not an exact science in battery stats I'm well pleased.

Even more pleased that my beloved SFII with FnC 6 and some improvements from Raverrr can be run. These are parts from FnC 7 and other versions I wanted to retain so Raverrr included them in a seperate zip for me. Just an FYI for anyone else.......

Thanks again Raverrr,

Steve

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

First thing you should do is get Titanium Backup and use it to disable Google Talk if you don't use it cos that's a battery muncher. Also get BetterBatteryStats on Google play cos it's great for telling you what is keeping your phone awake.

Guest Reider59

It's a cheap 16 gig Adata Micro SD card. Let me reiterate, I was happy with the power retension up to the battery going flat too quick at 7 months from purchasing the phone. I replaced the battery and was happy until it went again a few months later. At both times I ran ample tests to make sure it was a case of changing the battery. Except the second time I accidentally found it was the Micro SD card and not the battery. After wiping the card I get an even better power usage than ever before. Two days in I still have 80% power and I'm well happy with that as a light user, sometimes heavy when I need to. The point being this saved a new battery and/or getting a new phone, when I really really like this one in particular.

Sure I could probably have stopped it happening in the first place by using a better type of Micro SD Card. When I later read others had had the problem it was from a range of card makes, some didn't even say which type. But with budgets being the way they are some folk will use the cheaper SD cards. This post is for those people who are faced with low power on a continual basis, changing batteries, changing phones because of it. This may present them with another option or at least a chance to see if it is the problem and it fixes their phone.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dodgetimmy

So really this is irrelevant unless you find your battery life deteriorates over time.

What class and write/read speed is the new card compared to your original.

I Can only think what is causing the change is down to read/write speed, but when I tested my bundled adata card it was pretty fast (closest to class 8 speed even).

Can you help find sources that explain the sd card problem?

My average battery time is about 12-18 hours which is very poor in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dodgetimmy

I found a deal on eBay for a reconditioned class 10 ultra series micro sd. Going to install on to that and see if it makes any difference.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dodgetimmy

Just thought I'd update since using my new sd card, battery time has improved quite considerably, battery monitor widget now estimates 31 days of standby use, whereas before it was 20.

I had to wipe the battery stats for it to work though, at first my phone was sitting at 1% all day!

So I'm not sure why, but using a new SD like the op states does improve battery for myself also.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Reider59

Just an update. Still running F&C 6, same battery and the power retention is still first class. I go days without having to recharge. Not so bothered how it does it as to it actually does for me. I love this phone, have changed phone 2-3 times in a year before but had this one 2 years at Christmas. I still look at it like I did when I got it and love the ROM I use.

Guest dodgetimmy

My battery is only slightly better with my new sd certainly can't go without a few days without a recharge, unless I don't use my phone at all in that period. Would be great to know your exact sd card make and model for others!