New to the Crescent, have a couple of questions.

Guest omegavesko

Guest omegavesko

So, two of my family members are getting Crescents on Thursday, and I've been tasked with taking care of them. I'm fairly familiar with ZTE devices as I have a Skate, but I figured I would ask a couple questions I wasn't too sure about.

Which ROM should I flash? I'm planning on just flashing CM9 on them, as ICS is definitely smoother than Jelly Bean, and I don't think they're exactly going to lose any sleep over not having the latest Android version. I'd be happy to hear suggestions for other 4.x ROMs if any turn out to be faster or more stable.

How much can I overclock them? 902MHz with Smartass V2 seems to be a popular default, should I just go with this?

This may be a silly question, but does the Vivacity (Telenor Touch Plus) have hole for a lanyard/strap? Both of them are girls and like things dangling off their phones, and I couldn't quite make out whether there was one on the display model in the store. :)

Thanks!

Guest gbosh

You can see the smoothness and how much you should OC judging from your skate since it's got an identical CPU/GPU at the same clockspeed.

If you want ICS I'd suggest you to go with regular CM9 since most other ICS based ROMs were discontinued veery early. Also you will have to flash an extra zip for OMX on CM9 since there hasn't been a build in a long time.

If you want JB I might suggest PAC-man 4.1 or 4.2 or PA, the 4.1 ones are very stable while the 4.2 ones sometimes can be a little instable at times

If any of them wants to use the front camera they'll have to stick to stock based stuff.

Or if they want it fast and don't care for android versions: CM7

Guest omegavesko
You can see the smoothness and how much you should OC judging from your skate since it's got an identical CPU/GPU at the same clockspeed.

If you want ICS I'd suggest you to go with regular CM9 since most other ICS based ROMs were discontinued veery early. Also you will have to flash an extra zip for OMX on CM9 since there hasn't been a build in a long time.

If you want JB I might suggest PAC-man 4.1 or 4.2 or PA, the 4.1 ones are very stable while the 4.2 ones sometimes can be a little instable at times

If any of them wants to use the front camera they'll have to stick to stock based stuff.

Or if they want it fast and don't care for android versions: CM7

Thanks, I figured as much but wasn't sure whether the different form factor would cause overheating issues. Plus I keep my Skate at 960, which is pretty high.

Do 4.x ROMs have issues with the flash as well? I'm not even sure if it has a flash, lol.

Guest gbosh

Yup same issue, it even uses the same Camera libs as far as I know.

I've never really thought about the form factor causing overheating, the highest I've been on for a longer time was 902 Mhz and it did become a little warm when watching longer videos.

Guest Typhus_

Hello!

Pardon my intrusion but, as far as I know, no other custom ROMs, besides the custom based on stock ROMS have everything working.

I kid you not.

Flash and front camera won't work on any CM9, 10, 10.1 based ROMs, so, in other words, ICS or JB ROMs won't have those features. They're girls right? Ohhh. girls like to take photos and share with their bf's and stuff (eeck)...so anyway, I'm guessing they will not have a pleasant surprise with any of those ROMs.

So maybe you could flash CM7? No, wait...

Not Working:

• Front Camera and Camcorder - and this will be quite hard to fix. Safely disabled for now.

So basically, either F'N'C or some variant, like AndroIum, it's the safest bet.

They're girls...they don't care about Android version, they just want to be able to use their devices for stuff like facebook, messaging, photo share and stuff.

Heck, you should probably just root the phone, partition their SD and install Link2SD so that they're able to install more apps and remove the stock included ones. Forget about ROMs and OC kernels and stuff...they simply don't care. Trust me, they won't.

As for the holes, at least my wife's phone doesn't have any...

Noticed the "wife"? Yeah, I do know what I'm talking about....

Guest omegavesko

Hello!

Pardon my intrusion but, as far as I know, no other custom ROMs, besides the custom based on stock ROMS have everything working.

I kid you not.

Flash and front camera won't work on any CM9, 10, 10.1 based ROMs, so, in other words, ICS or JB ROMs won't have those features. They're girls right? Ohhh. girls like to take photos and share with their bf's and stuff (eeck)...so anyway, I'm guessing they will not have a pleasant surprise with any of those ROMs.

So maybe you could flash CM7? No, wait...

Not Working:

• Front Camera and Camcorder - and this will be quite hard to fix. Safely disabled for now.

So basically, either F'N'C or some variant, like AndroIum, it's the safest bet.

They're girls...they don't care about Android version, they just want to be able to use their devices for stuff like facebook, messaging, photo share and stuff.

Heck, you should probably just root the phone, partition their SD and install Link2SD so that they're able to install more apps and remove the stock included ones. Forget about ROMs and OC kernels and stuff...they simply don't care. Trust me, they won't.

As for the holes, at least my wife's phone doesn't have any...

Noticed the "wife"? Yeah, I do know what I'm talking about....

Oh, I know. One's 11 years old and the other has literally never used the front camera on her current phone. I think that bit should be fine. ;)

I'm mainly going for CM9 because it's significantly faster than any flavor of Gingerbread on every phone I've used.

Guest tititj

Hi omegavesko , i am from Apatin ;) and i have this phone for almost a year now , like guys said if they are girls they need functionality especialy for camera and mabe they dont care if it is overclocked or not , i am using CM7 wich is most working rom , camera and flash works perfectly and phone makes very nice pics , front camera and fm radio are only things that are not working . Also this phone dont have any kind of hole for straps. I sugest you to try with cm7 , stock is fully working but also have very little memory and on stock you cant have battery for more than 24 hours and with cm7 i have battery life everytime over 48 hours. I tried CM9 but i used it for one day , for me that rom was too much lagy , pictures were horible even on daylight and phone freezed so many times in one day.

So i hope i helped a lil if you need more information feel free to ask here or on android srbija , i am titij there too.

Guest omegavesko
Hi omegavesko , i am from Apatin ;) and i have this phone for almost a year now , like guys said if they are girls they need functionality especialy for camera and mabe they dont care if it is overclocked or not , i am using CM7 wich is most working rom , camera and flash works perfectly and phone makes very nice pics , front camera and fm radio are only things that are not working . Also this phone dont have any kind of hole for straps. I sugest you to try with cm7 , stock is fully working but also have very little memory and on stock you cant have battery for more than 24 hours and with cm7 i have battery life everytime over 48 hours. I tried CM9 but i used it for one day , for me that rom was too much lagy , pictures were horible even on daylight and phone freezed so many times in one day.

So i hope i helped a lil if you need more information feel free to ask here or on android srbija , i am titij there too.

Thanks, I'll try both CM9 and CM7 then.

I'm not planning on overclocking it for bragging rights, just to make the phone faster. ;)