[DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 10.1 (Android 4.2.2) for ZTE V9

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

But the funny thing is it took about 30min-1hour of the rom up and runing and then suddenly it got fast as hell! Now everything works as it should :)

So if you get problems, a bit of patience (one hour or so) could solve alot :)

hmm. tonight my v9 was running slow. top said com.google.android.gm (a gmail related process) was using ~7% cpu, and strace showed it was doing a tight loop around gettimeofday(), which is often a sign that something has lost the plot. I killed the process and the phone went back to normal speed.

I wonder if something like that could explain the problem you saw? any process that goes crazy and starts using cpu will make the machine go slow, and it could be any one of dozens of processes and be caused by any number of factors (bad coding, network glitch, unhandled error condition,...). its good that in your case it sorted itself out after a while.

if it happens again to you, and it you are feeling keen, then can you please try to work out if a process is using a lot of cpu when it shouldn't be. one way to do this (I'm a linux guy so please forgive the command like stuff, it's all I know) is to get into Terminal and then run top -m 25 -n 5. the top process itself should be using ~4% cpu and surfaceflinger, system_server, com.android.systemui and a few others should all be at the 1 or 2% level. any process above those guys for a long time is suspect. if it's always this gmail process then we can try to work out why (although as google wrote it it's probably their problem really).

Guest globula_neagra

Hello, i have the following configuration on a tablet.

msm 8255 1.4 ghz, 512 ram, 4gb storage, dual camera.

it can be used as a phone also (spent a lot of time in finding out how to activate this option)

Can you help put the bases in building at least cm9/10 for it ? i am planing in using the kernel from code aurora.

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

Can you help put the bases in building at least cm9/10 for it ? i am planing in using the kernel from code aurora.

you might find cyanogenmod porting to be helpful. obviously it'll be vastly easier if you can find a very similar device (cpu, gpu, wifi, gps etc.) that already has a port eg. perhaps one on this list. unfortunately binary blobs usually limit the range of kernels it is feasible to use.

Guest HarryPirate

hmm. tonight my v9 was running slow. top said com.google.android.gm (a gmail related process) was using ~7% cpu, and strace showed it was doing a tight loop around gettimeofday(), which is often a sign that something has lost the plot. I killed the process and the phone went back to normal speed.

I wonder if something like that could explain the problem you saw? any process that goes crazy and starts using cpu will make the machine go slow, and it could be any one of dozens of processes and be caused by any number of factors (bad coding, network glitch, unhandled error condition,...). its good that in your case it sorted itself out after a while.

if it happens again to you, and it you are feeling keen, then can you please try to work out if a process is using a lot of cpu when it shouldn't be. one way to do this (I'm a linux guy so please forgive the command like stuff, it's all I know) is to get into Terminal and then run top -m 25 -n 5. the top process itself should be using ~4% cpu and surfaceflinger, system_server, com.android.systemui and a few others should all be at the 1 or 2% level. any process above those guys for a long time is suspect. if it's always this gmail process then we can try to work out why (although as google wrote it it's probably their problem really).

Same thing happened to me, Tablet slow as hell... After 30 min fast as hell again. But this is CM10.1 and it is a memory eater, CM10 in that aspect is great in performance!

Guest globula_neagra

you might find cyanogenmod porting to be helpful. obviously it'll be vastly easier if you can find a very similar device (cpu, gpu, wifi, gps etc.) that already has a port eg. perhaps one on this list. unfortunately binary blobs usually limit the range of kernels it is feasible to use.

Thanx for you answer.

Let me give you more insight on what i did till now:

I have another tablet that has the fallowing spec:

msm7627

384 ram

7 inch

android 2.3.3

Like one year ago, i tried a build from here

http://get.cm/?device=v9

I modified many things in the boot.img and the system itself till i managed to get working:

-sound

-full hw acceleration

-bt

not working

3g

wifi

Now, i have the kernel source for this one.

But, i am let`s say an outsider in how to compile everything from zero.

What i have, is cwm :) made with this

https://github.com/abiank/FOXDA

Is this enough to build a full working rom ?

I have the kernel config.

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

FYI there might be a bit of a delay before the next rom update... my screen smashed and it's toast. I'm trying to buy a new v9 so I can continue development (yes, I am crazy - I know a Tab 2 7.0 is better in all ways) but it might take a week or two.

Guest HarryPirate

FYI there might be a bit of a delay before the next rom update... my screen smashed and it's toast. I'm trying to buy a new v9 so I can continue development (yes, I am crazy - I know a Tab 2 7.0 is better in all ways) but it might take a week or two.

There are some screen replacement on ebay it might be cheaper.

Since Blade and V9 share almost the same hardware and CM10 has reached the nightly state on Blade, would it be possible for you to build just a CM10 for V9?

It would be greatly appreciated since that even in Blade it runs way smoother than the CM10.1 and the Bluetooth problems would be fixed.

Thank you for your dedication :D

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

new v9 acquired, up and running, and new 20130419 rom posted. enjoy.

the main new feature is much more rapid wifi reconnect when waking up.

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

Since Blade and V9 share almost the same hardware and CM10 has reached the nightly state on Blade, would it be possible for you to build just a CM10 for V9?

maybe. daemond's kernel is identical to mine, so that would simplify things a little. although frankly I'm not all that interested in doubling my workload with old software unless there's a huge demand, or if it can help me understand how something can be fixed in cm10.1. there is not much future in old software. I've built and booted a quick hack version of cm10 previously, but the devil is in the details in these things and I don't know if it'll take weeks of work to get all the bits and bobs fully working and tested, or if anyone at all will run it - I certainly won't.

does anyone else really really REALLY want a cm10 build?

things to consider:

- please just don't say 'yes' without a good reason - these things take significant initial and ongoing effort and I do have better things to be doing. eg. cm10.1

- obviously cm10 will never have all the 4.2.2 features (no backports), nor any new CM development (eg. no chance of pie nav)

- on the plus side it may be slightly faster than cm10.1, as the trend seems to be that cm7 is fastest and cm10.1 is slowest (due to the software getting bigger and more complex and resource hungry), so I'd guess cm10 might be somewhere in-between.

- cm10 would be unsupported - I will not be running a cm10 as a daily device so won't be able to able to reproduce/fix anything

- again, these things don't build or maintain themselves - so please give good reasons why cm10.1 is completely unacceptable for you and/or buy me a new motorbike :)

I'm still with the previus buld, the speed problem is already solved?

sorry, I don't understand. can you explain what you mean?

Guest phazon

maybe. daemond's kernel is identical to mine, so that would simplify things a little. although frankly I'm not all that interested in doubling my workload with old software unless there's a huge demand, or if it can help me understand how something can be fixed in cm10.1. there is not much future in old software. I've built and booted a quick hack version of cm10 previously, but the devil is in the details in these things and I don't know if it'll take weeks of work to get all the bits and bobs fully working and tested, or if anyone at all will run it - I certainly won't.

does anyone else really really REALLY want a cm10 build?

things to consider:

- please just don't say 'yes' without a good reason - these things take significant initial and ongoing effort and I do have better things to be doing. eg. cm10.1

- obviously cm10 will never have all the 4.2.2 features (no backports), nor any new CM development (eg. no chance of pie nav)

- on the plus side it may be slightly faster than cm10.1, as the trend seems to be that cm7 is fastest and cm10.1 is slowest (due to the software getting bigger and more complex and resource hungry), so I'd guess cm10 might be somewhere in-between.

- cm10 would be unsupported - I will not be running a cm10 as a daily device so won't be able to able to reproduce/fix anything

- again, these things don't build or maintain themselves - so please give good reasons why cm10.1 is completely unacceptable for you and/or buy me a new motorbike :)

sorry, I don't understand. can you explain what you mean?

I was probably drunk when I wrote that x) . So I am with your Rom "2013-04-01 build" and as you and HarryPirate said, sometimes the tablet gets really slow. Have you figured out what it is causing this occasional slow processing?

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

So I am with your Rom "2013-04-01 build" and as you and HarryPirate said, sometimes the tablet gets really slow. Have you figured out what it is causing this occasional slow processing?

as I said, 4.2.2/cm10.1 just seems to use more resources, and on our little v9's those are in short supply. my best guess is that occasional slowdowns occur when the OS is put under stress to find free ram. there's probably not really a silver bullet for that. we're still looking for system tweaks that will help this and other things.

personally, adding swap space lets my v9 run better (which is why I think ram is the main scarce resource (rather than cpu or i/o bandwidth etc.)). I'll probably set the cpu scheduler to be smartassv2 in the next rom version too.

Guest HarryPirate

as I said, 4.2.2/cm10.1 just seems to use more resources, and on our little v9's those are in short supply. my best guess is that occasional slowdowns occur when the OS is put under stress to find free ram. there's probably not really a silver bullet for that. we're still looking for system tweaks that will help this and other things.

personally, adding swap space lets my v9 run better (which is why I think ram is the main scarce resource (rather than cpu or i/o bandwidth etc.)). I'll probably set the cpu scheduler to be smartassv2 in the next rom version too.

I think the problem is not only the RAM but also the processor.

When Android runs a sync or something like that it hangs a lot, the same happens in ZTE Blade, but with CM10 everything runs really smooth (ZTE Blade)

One of the first things I do is to change the Governor to SmartassV2 and disable 3G data (I don't have a data plan).

I haven't got a problem with speed because my V9 is overcocked to 748Mhz, governor:smartass V2 plus using a swap expander app.

My only problem is the bluetooth connection. My earpiece most of the time cannot connect to the phone. Even if I try (bluetooth) on and off 15 or more times. Even rebooting the phone doesn't get it working.

Changed back to CM7 :(

I wonder if there is a way to "copy" a working "piece" from a working ROM to the one PlaguedByPenguins made (please excuse my ignorance).

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

My only problem is the bluetooth connection. My earpiece most of the time cannot connect to the phone. Even if I try (bluetooth) on and off 15 or more times. Even rebooting the phone doesn't get it working.

I wonder if there is a way to "copy" a working "piece" from a working ROM to the one PlaguedByPenguins made (please excuse my ignorance).

I'm sorry to hear of your BT problems. my few attempts with a bluetooth keyboard have all worked pretty well (eventually). have you tried the bluetooth recipe I devised in the first post of this thread? some others in KonstaT's thread have found a slightly different method. please let me know if it works for you.

however, the answer to your question is no. google swapped out 4.1's bluetooth stack for a totally different stack in 4.2. there's no way to mix and match.

I will count your comment as a +1 for a cm10 build for v9 though :)

I 'll try the "slightly different method" :) Hope it works :unsure:

Thanks for your response :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will count your comment as a +1 for a cm10 build for v9 though :)

(I don't want to put pressure on your kind effort :) )

Edited by faji

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

can you make OTG available in next update?

sorry, no, don't think that's a good idea. I remember when this was added to the cm7 kernel - it killed the battery life.