[DEVELOPMENT] Death on the development side ?

Guest WiiSky70

Guest omegavesko

Thanks guys. It's been stripped down in rice for about 18hrs now, not gonna chance it until Sunday evening then i'll blast it with a hairdryer and we'll see what happens.

Definitely keep it in rice for as long as possible. Don't try to power it on, because if it's still wet on the inside.. zap.

Guest hugobosslives

You're forgetting that Chrome doesn't work on the Skate. ;)

Everyone keeps saying Chrome is laggy, though. Is that true?

sorry. i wan't clear. i use chrome on the n4 and its fantastic. no lag. one of the nicest changes that i overlooked when moving to armv7.

though the stock browser on the skate is pretty decent too.

Afraid not mate, I dropped it in the sink :( I think it's pretty much completely dead.

i did exactly the same mate (into hot water aswell) Turned it off asap. Removed the battery/sim/sdcard and back. Then towelled it dry with kitchen paper. then in rice for 24 hours. Took it out worked fine (this is about 3 months ago).

so there is hope yet :D

You could always take the board out and clean it properly. When i took my skate fully apart last year there was an unbelievable amount of crap in there. depends how confident you are. i happily take apart laptops and my skate. but my n4 is way too new and shiny to risk atm haha

Guest C3C0

Do you have a backup of all memory blocks including nvram?

That was the first thing I did when I got the phone. It was worth it. It wouldn't be possible to fully revive these memory blocks without having a full backup. So if you don't have yours, your hope is to ask somebody to dump them for you from the same device and then hex-edit to change IMEIs.

Guest C3C0

@hugo

Yup. I had recently some fun disassembling my son's HP Pavilion DV6 :D One hell of a puzzle :D

Edited by C3C0

Guest SPARL_

sorry. i wan't clear. i use chrome on the n4 and its fantastic. no lag. one of the nicest changes that i overlooked when moving to armv7.

though the stock browser on the skate is pretty decent too.

i did exactly the same mate (into hot water aswell) Turned it off asap. Removed the battery/sim/sdcard and back. Then towelled it dry with kitchen paper. then in rice for 24 hours. Took it out worked fine (this is about 3 months ago).

so there is hope yet :D

You could always take the board out and clean it properly. When i took my skate fully apart last year there was an unbelievable amount of crap in there. depends how confident you are. i happily take apart laptops and my skate. but my n4 is way too new and shiny to risk atm haha

I stripped it down and put it in the rice, just tried turning it on, it boots up but the digitizer still seems to have dampness in it as there are spots where it works and where it doesn't I think the battery is completely borked as it was fully charged when I dropped it and now it won't boot unless plugged in :/ . My contract ends in December as well why it couldn't happen then....

Guest omegavesko

I stripped it down and put it in the rice, just tried turning it on, it boots up but the digitizer still seems to have dampness in it as there are spots where it works and where it doesn't I think the battery is completely borked as it was fully charged when I dropped it and now it won't boot unless plugged in :/ . My contract ends in December as well why it couldn't happen then....

Well hey, that's progress. Assuming the digitizer dries properly, you're only out a few quid for the battery.

Guest SPARL_

Aye, fingers crossed the digitizer does dry properly it's back in rice now. Speaking of batteries can we get bigger capacity ones?

Guest omegavesko

Aye, fingers crossed the digitizer does dry properly it's back in rice now. Speaking of batteries can we get bigger capacity ones?

Not sure about that. There was one guy a while ago that stuck a comically oversized battery in a Skate and used a case to keep it together, but I'm pretty sure it was a Galaxy Note battery or something.

I'd be wary of any extended batteries for the Skate as it's a Chinese phone, and China made extended batteries tend to be absolutely terrible in 90% of cases. Considering a battery being bad could lead to it exploding, I wouldn't risk it.

Guest SPARL_

Hahaha that's superb. Yeah I've heard some serious horror stories about cheap batteries etc. think i'll just stick with stock :P

Guest GodShot

Do you have a backup of all memory blocks including nvram?

That was the first thing I did when I got the phone. It was worth it. It wouldn't be possible to fully revive these memory blocks without having a full backup. So if you don't have yours, your hope is to ask somebody to dump them for you from the same device and then hex-edit to change IMEIs.

If I got the phone back from the official repair store, what's the method of backing up the blocks initially?

How do I backup the files in the Root Explorer?

How should I tell me to prepare for me?? By what method in detail?

Edited by GodShot

Guest C3C0

Use Read Back in sp flash tool. You must define rows having start address and length for each block. Use MtkDroidTools app to dump blocks map according which you can comfortably define blocks to read back.

Edited by C3C0

Guest Shombale

Use Read Back in sp flash tool. You must define rows having start address and length for each block. Use MtkDroidTools app to dump blocks map according which you can comfortably define blocks to read back.

Wow, start address and length.... How could I get these information?

Guest hugobosslives

@hugo

Yup. I had recently some fun disassembling my son's HP Pavilion DV6 :D One hell of a puzzle :D

haha laptops these days are ridiculous. especially thin ones that have a graphics card. the out vent for my i5 and gt660m is a pain in the arse to take off and reattach to the motherboard. though it made a hell of a difference replacing the stock thermal "paste" (read: burnt dust) with some proper arctic silver. drops the temps by about 4 degrees idle and about 10 degrees in crysis 3 (with the same capped frame rate). defo recommend to anyone if you are confident with your mits :)

take the screen off and let the digitizer sit in the rice. you don't even have to fully dis-attach the cord to do this. sounds like the electronic are fine.

Edited by hugobosslives

Guest SPARL_

take the screen off and let the digitizer sit in the rice. you don't even have to fully dis-attach the cord to do this. sounds like the electronic are fine.

Thanks man, I did pretty much this. Although as i was taking the screen off I snapped the synaptic thingymabob, so any hope of getting it working again are gone me thinks. I could always get a demmic skate off ebay and butcher it for parts :P

Guest hugobosslives

Yer they seem to be pretty cheap atm.

i was guna sell mine on the bay. but with a pretty badly scratched screen it wasn't really worth it.

guna see if i can get cex to take it for their quoted £58 on the website (poor condition unlocked). if not. i'll probably keep it as a music player.

if you can pick one up cheap its worth a shot. also you get immense satisfaction when you fix a "broken phone(/any electronic device). When i brought my old blade back from the death it was such a shame to then sell it. though it did mean it was worth about 5 times more than it was broken (just using a soldering iron and and screw drivers).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GodShot

My friend in Taiwan said the MtkDroidTools can not support on dumping the files for mtk 6589 devices? Is it true? If not, where could I find the version to dump the files?