How have you got yours set up?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

I've rooted and gappsed my Nook now. :)

I've tweaked the screensaver to a MoDaCo logo (had to be done) and started playing around with what's installed.

I have the nook button going to normal home for now and a long press loading relaunch. I'd like relaunch to load at the app view though ideally.

I'm probably going to lose a bunch of the apps that got installed, Music, Calendar, Gmail, Talk etc... I have a phone for those. There's a few where i'm not sure whether they do anything useful yet (Contacts, Gallery, Library, Nook friends, TestCenterService, NookHWTest, DeviceRegistrator, Social)... not sure what i'll do with those.

All i've really installed so far is Amazon Kindle, straight from the Play Store, which works OK, but the page animations are a bit annoying.

I've used the touch mod mapper to map bottom left key to back and bottom right key to menu. Interestingly, if we can map the top buttons to dpad left / right they would work as page turn buttons in Kindle!

Lots to explore still... :)

P

Guest PaulOBrien

BTW, you can use ADB to simulate left / right keypresses with 'adb shell input keyevent 21' and 'adb shell input keyevent 22'.

P

Guest Mark Dearlove

Not tweaked any of the launcher stuff yet other than setting it to start in relaunch. It is a pain that it opens in the "explorer" view though. Installed DropSync for syncing my calibre library over wifi via Dropbox. I also installed read it later (later versions of pocket were not compatible) for Pocket sync. AirDroid is also useful for dumping files easily via WiFi. Opera Mobile is quicker and more stable than the in built browser which is Opera Mini. Kindle is on, as is SearchMarket as the Play Store search doesn't work. Advanced Task Killer is also useful as it is Android 2.1.

Guest PaulOBrien

I've patched the Kindle app to allow page turns via volume keys... which is cool as you can map the Nook buttons to volume using the supplied utility. Just working on getting rid of the page turn animation. :)

P

Guest hyb80

How does the native reader compare to the Kindle app ? This is my first e reader so unsure as to what I want to be able to do on it other than read

Guest Zarch1972

Backup taken with Nook Manager (don't worry, it does take nearly 20 minutes, don't panic)

Rooted using Nook Manager

Another backup taken to a different SD card afterwards

NTGAppsAttack installed (instructions for market section are a little all over the place, but I got there in the end)

Disabled gmail, contacts and calender sync (go into gmail and add your same account to get to sync options)

MoDaCo modified Kindle App installed (waiting for it to sync my account)

Everything just seems to take forever on the Nook, especially when you're used to how quickly new Android hardware responds. To be expected I suppose with the limited hardware it has.

Any idea how I uninstall gmail, contacts, calendar, gtalk, music, news and weather etc? I really don't want any of that stuff on there to keep battery usage to a minimum.

I try long press within the launcher but eventually get "uninstall not successful"

Guest PaulOBrien

You could use root explorer to remove from the /system partition, or 'adb shell pm disable' the package name.

P

Guest meddler

When I run searchmarket my keyboard immediately hides itself. :-/

P

I'm getting the same thing Paul.

I used ROM Toolbox pro to uninstall the GAPPS I didn't need (including dialler, dialler storage and camera which seemed a little pointless ;-))

Guest Wilb

I'm umming and arring whether to take the plunge and tinker with mine. Everything in me says do it - but like Paul said above a lot of the apps I'm going to end up lumped with I don't have any need for. Would actually like to use this as a reading device rather than a like every other android device I own which just ends up getting tinkered with all the time. So before I do it I'm trying to decide which apps might be useful to have on here.

So far I'm thinking a couple of news readers - Guardian app is lightweight enough that it might be ok on it? A basic feed reader I guess. Not so fussed about the Kindle app as I can just use ePubs where needed. I like the idea of short press on Nook for standard screen and long press for Relauncher. Airdroid would obviously be very useful.

My other concern is battery life - how does rooting and adding extra launchers & apps affect battery life? Does it still go into sleep mode in the same way?

Any likelihood of a Modaco Remix on the horizon Paul?

Edited by Wilb

Guest Zarch1972

Having gone through all the rooting malarky just to get the Amazon app on there (which isn't that great tbh) it turns out I can download my Amazon stuff to my PC and then convert to ePub using calibre....... so could have just used the Nook inbuilt reader and saved myself all the hassle.

I too like the idea of just leaving the device at stock and let it do what its supposed to do. :)

Hell, I might even restore my original non-rooted backup. LOL.

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm getting the same thing Paul.

I used ROM Toolbox pro to uninstall the GAPPS I didn't need (including dialler, dialler storage and camera which seemed a little pointless ;-))

I had to restore my backup to resolve it!

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Having gone through all the rooting malarky just to get the Amazon app on there (which isn't that great tbh) it turns out I can download my Amazon stuff to my PC and then convert to ePub using calibre....... so could have just used the Nook inbuilt reader and saved myself all the hassle.

I too like the idea of just leaving the device at stock and let it do what its supposed to do. :)

Hell, I might even restore my original non-rooted backup. LOL.

That's why I bought two? Maybe? ;)

P

Guest englishpunk

System:

Switched on and registered device on Barnes & Noble account

Updated to firmware 1.2.1

Rooted using NookManager

Installed GoogleApps using NTGAppsAttack

Installed NookColor Tools in /system/apps

Installed SearchMarket

Applications:

Installed Google Books

Installed Amazon Kindle ( page turns configured via Nook Touch Mod Manager )

Installed Total Commander ( reconfigured black on white with increased text size )

Now everything is working i'll probably go and remove some of the unnecessary apps, like camera, and think about using Paul's modified Kindle app to remove the page transitions, although i obviously don't need the page turn modification.

Guest Zarch1972

Anyone else had any battery issues after rooting and installing all this extra stuff?

I've just come to use mine today after about 4 days in my bag on standby and the battery was dead. I thought it was supposed to last for months?

I think this is the nail in the coffin that i'm gonna restore my original backup.

Guest Mark Dearlove

to go back to stock - remove your sd card, and head into settings. Deregister and reset will put you back at stock

Guest englishpunk

I found an additional method the other day, not tested it myself, but thought i'd post in case it helped anyone.

To do a full recovery, power it down and then power it up right after it starts coming up, press both the left and right lower buttons on the face of the nook touch, hold them down for several seconds during the start up and it’ll prompt you for a system wipe.

Press Home twice to confirm you truly want to do that.

http://factory-reset...ok_Simple_Touch

Guest englishpunk

So by going stock you lose the Android bits... can you still view PDFs etc.?

P

You can view PDFs stock, someone in the office asked me to try before i rooted it, couldn't find a zoom option, research seemed to suggest there wasn't actually one :wacko:

Guest SpruceyB

HootSuite for Twitter/Facebook works really nice. This is going to come in handy for the days of lounging outside in the sun.

TV Guide could be better, larger font would be nice.

I'm currently using a Amlogic M3 based box with DVB-S2 tuner inside, so I've got DroidMote Server running on that and DroidMote client on the Nook to control it.

Now I just need to find an elegant way to get my News from Calibre on to the Nook so I can read on the morning commute.