Vowney / Verne V5

Guest bryfly

Guest bryfly

Got my first prob with V5, downloaded touchwiz and Apex, installed and worked fine , today when switching phone on and off it defaults back to installed launcher, tried making apex default etc , then tried reset to factory and reinstall launcher , works ok till switch it off then goes back to installed launcher……….any idea what to do next? cheers

edit:- seems strange, it looks like apex works but it is only the 5 icons at the bottom that go to default launcher icons

edit 2:- also when switching on and off it is always searching network when switched on again, the Huawei does not and seems to remember the network?

Guest bryfly

Have you tried making the launcher a system app? Also make sure it installs to the internal storage rather than your SD card.

Thanks for that, Apex was on the internal storage and Touchwiz was on the SD card, moved touchwiz to internal storage and all seems ok at the moment.....

Guest e45cream

I had problems with the location features. It wouldn't use Wifi to help locate me, despite all the correct options being on. I flashed the rom at http://www.needrom.com/mobile/vowney-v5/, and the location features worked from first boot, so I'm on that rom for now. I tried flashing the later 4.2.2 rom on the same site, but the play store wouldn't install anything.

I've noticed that the recent apps list is accessed via a long press on the menu button on the left , not on the home button like in most phones.

Guest blaster99999

as anyone tried ther v5 on car Bluetooth mine disconnects when im on calls , not very convenient , but its a google fault as lots of makes of phone since androiad 4.1 and above are having this problem, anyone got a fix

Guest bryfly

I had problems with the location features. It wouldn't use Wifi to help locate me, despite all the correct options being on.

Guess there is a bug in the ROM then , been trying all sorts of things to try and make it work today , no joy though, anybody with the V5 able to look at the rom and see if they can spot the error???

Guest Sere83

I had problems with the location features. It wouldn't use Wifi to help locate me, despite all the correct options being on. I flashed the rom at http://www.needrom.c...bile/vowney-v5/, and the location features worked from first boot, so I'm on that rom for now. I tried flashing the later 4.2.2 rom on the same site, but the play store wouldn't install anything.

I've noticed that the recent apps list is accessed via a long press on the menu button on the left , not on the home button like in most phones.

When you say location features you mean GPS?

How did you install the rom?

I've had serious GPS issues, I actually followed the guide again yesterday after I had no luck getting it to work despite following the guide first time and it getting a lock. Tried today and seemed to work for the first time when I was out.

Thing I have noticed though is everything is just a bit slower on this phone coming from a heavily optimised rom like MIUI on my Mi One, like GPS lock is slower, proximity sensor is slower to react etc etc. Even txts and MMS take more time to confirm they have sent.

I also did some proper call tests and compared the ear speaker to my Mi One and A Galaxy S2 and it is significantly lower and more tinny/harsh, less full etc as I suspected. Just wish it was slightly louder.

What networks are people using their phones on?

I'm On T-mob/EE and as Blaster99999 mentioned I also find it sticks on g when I know h is available, which funnily enough used to happen on my Mi One too but seemed to fix itself through after some FW updates. I also find some apps just take ages to load content, particularly facebook. I also get quite a bit 'E' popping up every now and then too. Used a signal repair app from the market that seemed to help a little.

Other little niggles are when you set camera to 'sharp' then exit the app it doesn't save the setting, also occasionally get these little lines appearing across the screen for a split second when I open up image gallery and certain other apps, sometimes the capacities buttons also take two presses to register, particularly the home button. Also holding down menu for the recent apps sometimes doesnt work.

Battery seems excellent although discharges a bit unevenly, like stayed on 36% for ages and ages yesterday then after that started dropping at faster increments

I'm also confused about where to install apps too, as mentioned some apps simply don't work if you install them in the wrong place, like dash clock for example wasnt working at all untill I moved it to SD card, im using nova launcher and seems ok though. Snapchat seems to be acting slightly odd when recording video too

Im kind of reluctant to install a rom as I dont want to mess up potential OTA updates, which I'm hoping will come eventually as it does appear to need some optimization. Would really like to improve 3G and GPS perfromance too

Edited by Sere83

Guest bryfly

When you say location features you mean GPS?

Think he means the same as me, with GPS off then google should give a rough location using just WIFI, works fine on my g300 but not on this V5

I've had serious GPS issues, I actually followed the guide again yesterday after I had no luck getting it to work despite following the guide first time and it getting a lock. Tried today and seemed to work for the first time when I was out.

Also followed the guide and got GPS to work, but normally switch it off and use google location through wifi, except as above does not work on V5

What networks are people using their phones on?

Im using Three network

I'm also confused about where to install apps too, as mentioned some apps simply don't work if you install them in the wrong place.

Also found I had to move some apps to internal memory to work ok

Im kind of reluctant to install a rom as I dont want to mess up potential OTA updates, which I'm hoping will come eventually as it does appear to need some optimization.

Agree reluctant to install rom, tried to find a link to report location via wifi problem, couldn't find one.

Guest Rico_89

Txt messages are instant for me, haven't tried picture messaging yet. And the GPS I haven't played around with much but my G300 always took a fair bit to get GPS lock. I have noticed those lines you talked about a couple of times but so far only in the gallery.

I'm on Giff Gaff.

Guest e45cream
Agree reluctant to install rom, tried to find a link to report location via wifi problem, couldn't find one.

Install CWM using Tillaz's guide then do a nandroid backup. Then even if you mess about with roms, you can always restore things to the way they were. The rom I installed from needrom.com is working perfectly so far.

Guest bryfly

Done something to the V5 , switch on screen is frozen locked ,nothing works, only place I can get is into factory mode, got 8 headings all in Chinese, anybody know what they are in English , or what I should do now? cheers

Guest Sere83

My GPS is completely screwed, tried to open google maps today didnt find a lock, tried to run gps test, didn't find a lock despite me running it twice before and getting one, is everyones working ok, like if you leave it off normally and just turn it on for example when opening google maps? Anyone know how I can fix this, really pissing me off...

Think ill wait for an OTA update for a couple of weeks but if nothing for a while will install the ROM E45cream went with, cant have GPS not working

Edited by Sere83

Guest Rico_89

Done something to the V5 , switch on screen is frozen locked ,nothing works, only place I can get is into factory mode, got 8 headings all in Chinese, anybody know what they are in English , or what I should do now? cheers

Oh man that is not good.. Can you install CWM? But then a gain if you don't have a backup then it might not help you anyway. If it's completely screwed then you might want to contact merimobiles for a return so you can get a full refund.

However with CWM you might get a third party rom to work..

Looks like the Vowney V5 build quality is a bit hit and miss.

=====================================================

In regards to the GPS; I'll try some things out with the GPS today and see how it works for me.

Edited by Rico_89

Guest Sere83

Yeah sorry to hear that mate, how did it happen?

Oh man that is not good.. Can you install CWM? But then a gain if you don't have a backup then it might not help you anyway. If it's completely screwed then you might want to contact merimobiles for a return so you can get a full refund.

However with CWM you might get a third party rom to work..

Looks like the Vowney V5 build quality is a bit hit and miss.

=====================================================

In regards to the GPS; I'll try some things out with the GPS today and see how it works for me.

Cheers mate much appreciated, I actually just went out again and waited for 15 mins using GPS test, locked a load of satellites and seems to work now, might not have waited long enough the first times I used it, will do further tests...

I am tempted to install that ROM e45 Cream is using as Location via 3g/wifi does seem not to work, maybe there is a fix for that? Thing is the stock rom is actually pretty young and i'm thinking it will be optimized further via OTA. I have found there are no huge glaring issues, apart from GPS which hopefully i've fixed and location via wifi and those wired lines in gallery and the camera settings don't seem to save when you alter them. Also Camera needs optimization. But knowing me i'll probably bugger something up trying to install CMW so i'm a bit reluctant at this stage to install the custom ROM haha.

Edited by Sere83

Guest e45cream
My GPS is completely screwed, tried to open google maps today didnt find a lock, tried to run gps test, didn't find a lock despite me running it twice before and getting one, is everyones working ok, like if you leave it off normally and just turn it on for example when opening google maps? Anyone know how I can fix this, really pissing me off...

Think ill wait for an OTA update for a couple of weeks but if nothing for a while will install the ROM E45cream went with, cant have GPS not working

Can confirm GPS working well on the rom from needrom. Just tried using a gps-only sat-nav program, and got a fast lock and no loss of connection.

The only problem I've had has been the recent apps (via a long press on the menu button) not always working

Guest bryfly

Yeah sorry to hear that mate, how did it happen?

Not really sure went into settings and backup/reset to reset to factory, screwed from there on, managed to get a bit further via android recovery, get the start up sequence right through to lock screen . swipe it and the screen is black, might try to get cwm on and try another rom.

Guest bryfly

By the time I sent it recorded delivery back to China, about £20 I would imagine, for them to say it is something I did, we not fixing it etc, think I will give up China phones, got one that has gone duff and one that has never turned up or even tracked, paypal claim for the missing one on Wednesday .......

Guest Sere83

By the time I sent it recorded delivery back to China, about £20 I would imagine, for them to say it is something I did, we not fixing it etc, think I will give up China phones, got one that has gone duff and one that has never turned up or even tracked, paypal claim for the missing one on Wednesday .......

Could ask the customer chat support maybe? They are usually quite helpful...also drop a mail to [email protected], they may be able to help you.

Tried my GPS again, gone back to being broken, not locking etc, so odd cos I when I run GPS test it locks fine.

I just spoke to merimobiles actaully said he thought an OTA update might be coming soon. He also told me to try factory reset but i'm reluctant after what happened to you, i would defo recommend emailing them though. He also told me they are in direct contact with the engineers so I reported my issues and sent a mail relating to my GPS problems.

Edited by Sere83

Guest bryfly

Could ask the customer chat support maybe? They are usually quite helpful...also drop a mail to [email protected], they may be able to help you.

Tried my GPS again, gone back to being broken, not locking etc, so odd cos I when I run GPS test it locks fine.

I just spoke to merimobiles actaully said he thought an OTA update might be coming soon. He also told me to try factory reset but i'm reluctant after what happened to you, i would defo recommend emailing them though.

Spoke to customer chat this morning they asked me to send email with pic of problem with the phone to them, have now sent email to your suggestion as well, tried to carry out tillaz pulling stock recovery, cannot get that to work but guess mine might be broke, can I just try to install cwm without the first part???

Guest Rico_89

Not really sure went into settings and backup/reset to reset to factory, screwed from there on, managed to get a bit further via android recovery, get the start up sequence right through to lock screen . swipe it and the screen is black, might try to get cwm on and try another rom.

Ok that sound not too bad. I did the same thing (factory reset from CMW though) on my G300 and it locked on the Huawei logo.. I just recovered a backup I had made and bingo back in business.

I wouldn't panic yet, see what merimobile says and as far as I know you should be fine installing CWM but you should really find out from Tillaz first to make sure.

My advice to anyone else is don't factory reset until you get a CWM backup.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GPS: well I Iv'e just tested it and it seems to be working fine. I get lock really fast and that's with no data on just GPS, wifi and 3g off. I will keep trying and get back to you but when I went through the tutorial I skipped this part as it seemed optional.

4. This is just my personal opinion, but if you don’t have an always on data-connection, don’t turn on A-GPS to test your GPS. That’s just my opinion though. Many people enable it and if you’ve got an always on data connection (2G/3G), it should be turned on – though if you’re on a very limited plan, you might want to turn it off after you’re done using GPS. If you want to enable it, tick it ON.

Guest e45cream

tried to carry out tillaz pulling stock recovery, cannot get that to work but guess mine might be broke, can I just try to install cwm without the first part???

Try taking out the battery, sim card and sd card. I had to do that to make it work.

Guest Rico_89

can someone please provide link to the gps guide?

I would like to try it.

http://gizbeat.com/2...tk6577-mtk6575/

Be patient it takes a good ten minutes out side in good line of sight to get the first lock, but after that it should be easier. Now I'm getting lock in the house in under a minute. Like others this this might change though.. ;) .

Edited by Rico_89

Guest Sere83

Ok that sound not too bad. I did the same thing (factory reset from CMW though) on my G300 and it locked on the Huawei logo.. I just recovered a backup I had made and bingo back in business.

I wouldn't panic yet, see what merimobile says and as far as I know you should be fine installing CWM but you should really find out from Tillaz first to make sure.

My advice to anyone else is don't factory reset until you get a CWM backup.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GPS: well I Iv'e just tested it and it seems to be working fine. I get lock really fast and that's with no data on just GPS, wifi and 3g off. I will keep trying and get back to you but when I went through the tutorial I skipped this part as it seemed optional.

4. This is just my personal opinion, but if you don’t have an always on data-connection, don’t turn on A-GPS to test your GPS. That’s just my opinion though. Many people enable it and if you’ve got an always on data connection (2G/3G), it should be turned on – though if you’re on a very limited plan, you might want to turn it off after you’re done using GPS. If you want to enable it, tick it ON.

Ok cool, so do you have A-GPS enabled or not enabled? By the way is your google maps on your sd card or internal storage?