Vowney / Verne V5

Guest bryfly

Guest Rico_89

Ok cool, so do you have A-GPS enabled or not enabled? By the way is your google maps on your sd card or internal storage?

A-GPS is off for me. And Maps are installed to the sd card.

I just tried again and this time it took about two and half minutes to lock, but I noticed that street view just kept saying loading address (street view was working earlier) . I checked my G300 and maps are installed to the internal storage, so I'm going to try that and see.. I have run out of charge though so I might not get back to this for a while.

Edit: Moved maps and streetview onto the internal storage and I got lock in just over one minute and street view worked immediately.. Obviously I need to test it over time so I'm going to try other apps and see.

Edited by Rico_89

Guest dakok

Regarding GPS, there`s a way to set it right: use Pimp My Rom

and somewhere inside it you`ll find a way to succesfully adjust GPS.

Edited by dakok

Guest bryfly

Ok that sound not too bad. I did the same thing (factory reset from CMW though) on my G300 and it locked on the Huawei logo.. I just recovered a backup I had made and bingo back in business.

I wouldn't panic yet, see what merimobile says and as far as I know you should be fine installing CWM but you should really find out from Tillaz first to make sure.

My advice to anyone else is don't factory reset until you get a CWM backup.

totally agree found some posts with people who did factory reset and ended up the same, can manage to get into settings and system ui says not responding a lot, what would I need to do to cure that, as that might be my problem with a black screen.

Guest blaster99999

http://gizbeat.com/2...tk6577-mtk6575/

Be patient it takes a good ten minutes out side in good line of sight to get the first lock, but after that it should be easier. Now I'm getting lock in the house in under a minute. Like others this this might change though.. ;) .

after the first lock mine usually takes about 30 seconds to 2 minutes now in car , just trying in house and not getting anything so far.

Guest blaster99999

totally agree found some posts with people who did factory reset and ended up the same, can manage to get into settings and system ui says not responding a lot, what would I need to do to cure that, as that might be my problem with a black screen.

looks like your not having much luck, might help if someone with cwm installed can upload there rom.

Guest blaster99999

Done something to the V5 , switch on screen is frozen locked ,nothing works, only place I can get is into factory mode, got 8 headings all in Chinese, anybody know what they are in English , or what I should do now? cheers

did you pay for your v5 to be prerooted, if so battery out , battery back in hold volume up and power on , when droid appears press vol up again , now your in English cwm, don't think it as all the options that should be available , but you have option to clear user data and wipe ect that might be worth a try.

Guest Rico_89

after the first lock mine usually takes about 30 seconds to 2 minutes now in car , just trying in house and not getting anything so far.

In house you might need to be near a window to get line of sight for a good connection. But it works better outside.

If that's all you did then it should be under warranty. And merrimobile should pick up the postage bill too.

http://www.merimobiles.com/help-shipping-policy/#27

Edited by Rico_89

Guest kieranswhite
Regarding GPS, there`s a way to set it right: use Pimp My Rom

and somewhere inside it you`ll find a way to succesfully adjust GPS.

Have you tried this?? You can change loads of GPS settings. I'll have a look when I receive my V5

Guest Sere83

Have you tried this?? You can change loads of GPS settings. I'll have a look when I receive my V5

Yeah thanks to Dakok for that, it is some crazy App! Can tinker with just about everything, too scared to touch most of the settings though. haha, I gave it a go for gps though and I also found out how to access engineering mode using *#15963#* on the keypad and run the gps test a few times, which went fine.

I am now getting locks using google maps, with the phone out of my bedroom window. Some are reasonably quick, while others take longer, can be up to a minute or more. The strange thing is maps tells me my location cant be found sometimes after about 15 seconds but if i just leave the gps on it eventually finds a lock but as I say can take a while sometimes. Seems quite temperamental, gonna try on the bus tomorrow as to date have had no luck on the bus.

Another thing i've found is that since the engineering mode tests the drop down menus displays actual coordinate information and time it takes to lock and another symbol when trying to find a lock which it wasn't doing before. Are other people getting this too?

Oh and i also read somwhere that you cannot take a screen shot using hardware buttons on the V5 yet, any one tried it?

Edited by Sere83

Guest Rico_89

It works like that for me too, even on my G300 it says location cant be found, then it finds my location..

Volume - plus power button takes a screenshots on the V5. I've done it a few times.

What engineering mode test? What was that lol..? I think I missed something.

Edited by Rico_89

Guest Sere83

It works like that for me too, even on my G300 it says location cant be found, then it finds my location..

Volume - plus power button takes a screenshots on the V5. I've done it a few times.

What engineering mode test? What was that lol..? I think I missed something.

Sweet for that, haha yeah its some random mode i read about, seemed to help though with my GPS,...

Does yours charge evenly? Put my phone on charge at 2% about 10 minutes ago and now its on 41%! WTF?

Edited by Sere83

Guest bryfly

Now I have a working phone again !!!. Has any headway been made on finding why location on maps does not work using wifi / network signal and not GPS, moved maps and street view to internal , made no difference on mine

Guest blaster99999

Now I have a working phone again !!!. Has any headway been made on finding why location on maps does not work using wifi / network signal and not GPS, moved maps and street view to internal , made no difference on mine

how did you fix your problem for future reference

Guest Rico_89

Sweet for that, haha yeah its some random mode i read about, seemed to help though with my GPS,...

Does yours charge evenly? Put my phone on charge at 2% about 10 minutes ago and now its on 41%! WTF?

I've never checked the phone so soon after charging, but this might be normal I usually leave all my devices a good hour after it says it charged. Now that you mention it, do you get a percentage reading on your charge display? I just get a pretty cool fluid battery animation but no percent indication.

I've never used data to find my location on any phone, only GPS.. I think it works on third party roms so it might be that this rom we are using needs updates or is geared more towards the Chinese market.

Guest Rico_89

battery percentage as to be turned on if you want it to show , its in the battery settings

Thx missed that. :huh:

GPS update: I tried Pimp My Rom but the accuracy hovered around 15 to 18 feet and I couldn't get street view to work. I reset the GPS data with Faster GPS and the accuracy went back to around 8 to 12 feet and Street view worked perfectly; also I noticed that if I turn off GPS EPO Assistance the lock was more stable. I tried Runkeeper (running app) and it locked in seconds and I got full bar connection, so I'd be interested to hear if turning EPO off makes a difference for anyone else, however I will be trying again to make sure it wasn't a one off anomaly.

Guest kieranswhite

GPS update: I tried Pimp My Rom but the accuracy hovered around 15 to 18 feet and I couldn't get street view to work. I reset the GPS data with Faster GPS and the accuracy went back to around 8 to 12 feet and Street view worked perfectly; also I noticed that if I turn off GPS EPO Assistance the lock was more stable. I tried Runkeeper (running app) and it locked in seconds and I got full bar connection, so I'd be interested to hear if turning EPO off makes a difference for anyone else, however I will be trying again to make sure it wasn't a one off anomaly.

So what things would you recommend I do when my v5 arrives?? Like GPS settings, app problems etc..

Guest Sere83

Tried this and doesnt work for me. My GPS basically doesnt really work, i get a lock after like 40 seconds then the screen goes off and the lock goes, takes a while to relock. Tried pimp my rom, faster gps, GPS engineering test, seemed to be working yesterday a bit, but then woke this morning tried and couldn't get a lock.

Also I find that there is significant touchscreen delay esepcially in google maps, like move finger accross the map and takes a second to move the map, also in scrolling round the OS in general can be a tiny bit delayed at times, any one experienced this?

Edited by Sere83

Guest bryfly

Gorilla glass or not......I emailed Vowney to check and also told them accessories are hard to come by, below is their response.

Hello.

We present V5 use is not really gorilla glass, this can reply to you, the VOWNEY brand is never do any parameters of the virtual standard, ensure the authenticity!

As for the accessories, our company all the accessories are complete, you can ask the sales of mobile phone to your business directly to our purchases and sales!

Thanks again for your attention to our VOWNEY V5! I hope you can get good use experience!

bit confusing the above but it looks like adverts showing gorilla glass are wrong and it looks like it is possible to order accessories direct from Vowney....

Guest Rico_89

Tried this and doesnt work for me. My GPS basically doesnt really work, i get a lock after like 40 seconds then the screen goes off and the lock goes, takes a while to relock. Tried pimp my rom, faster gps, GPS engineering test, seemed to be working yesterday a bit, but then woke this morning tried and couldn't get a lock.

Also I find that there is significant touchscreen delay esepcially in google maps, like move finger accross the map and takes a second to move the map, also in scrolling round the OS in general can be a tiny bit delayed at times, any one experienced this?

I don't have any delay what so ever, not in apps, home screens or app drawers.

Most of the time for me GPS locks within one minute but sometimes it takes a while. I'm still trying a few things though. I have a feeling that a third party rom will work better, in terms of GPS connection, but I want to run stock for a bit before I try another rom.

Oh I knew it wasn't Gorilla when I purchased so no surprise there.. I had thought that Silicone cases would be available but no big deal.. although a supply of good screen protectors would be great.

Edited by Rico_89

Guest Sere83

I don't have any delay what so ever, not in apps, home screens or app drawers.

Most of the time for me GPS locks within one minute but sometimes it takes a while. I'm still trying a few things though. I have a feeling that a third party rom will work better, in terms of GPS connection, but I want to run stock for a bit before I try another rom.

Oh I knew it wasn't Gorilla when I purchased so no surprise there.. I had thought that Silicone cases would be available but no big deal.. although a supply of good screen protectors would be great.

Yeah mine works now but is hit and miss. Sometimes locks sometimes doesn't. Got an email from merimobiles and they said do a factory reset and install GPS essentials which I did. The funny thing is that I installed Waze and that gets an instant lock, google maps on the other hand can take ages or just not lock at all. I also tested my Nexus 7 GPS just to compare and it got an almost instant lock on a few occasions.

Think a lot of the shortcomings i've noticed are because of coming from a highly optimized custom rom, MIUI.

Bit more fluid though now after factory wipe think some of my pimp my rom tinkering may have messed it up a bit.

Also phone has had a small rattling sound that i couldn't figure out what it was for ages, turns out the camera flash is slightly loose, bit annoying. Hope we get some updates soon, as you say a custom rom in the future would be great too, reckon most of the firmware issues could easily be ironed out.

Edited by Sere83

Guest tillaz

the problem you's are all having with the GPS is probably because its using the wrong gps.conf for your country (since its a china phone)

flash one of these in recovery

For Europe

NTP_SERVER=europe.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/
xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/
xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/
xtra.bin
SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
SUPL_PORT=7276[/code] Europe.zip [b]For UK[/b]
[code]NTP_SERVER=uk.pool.ntp.org
xtra.bin
xtra.bin
xtra.bin
SUPL_PORT=7276

United Kingdom.zip

also, out of curiosity i would love to look at what the phone is using by default, so could someone pull system / etc / gps.conf and upload it ?

Guest moorish

the problem you's are all having with the GPS is probably because its using the wrong gps.conf for your country (since its a china phone)

flash one of these in recovery

For Europe

NTP_SERVER=europe.pool.ntp.org

xtra.bin

xtra.bin

xtra.bin

SUPL_PORT=7276
Europe.zip For UK
NTP_SERVER=uk.pool.ntp.org

xtra.bin

xtra.bin

xtra.bin

SUPL_PORT=7276

United Kingdom.zip

also, out of curiosity i would love to look at what the phone is using by default, so could someone pull system / etc / gps.conf and upload it ?

I don't have a gps.conf at all in system / etc /.....guess that would explain why it's difficult to get a gps lock?

Guest tillaz

that's probably why then lol

here is a more advanced European version, what i use

XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra2.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra2.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra2.bin

# DEBUG LEVELS: 0 - none, 1 - Error, 2 - Warning, 3 - Info
# 4 - Debug, 5 - Verbose
DEBUG_LEVEL = 3

# Intermediate position report, 1=enable, 0=disable
INTERMEDIATE_POS=0

# supl version 1.0
SUPL_VER=0x10000

# Error Estimate
# _SET = 1
# _CLEAR = 0
ERR_ESTIMATE=0

# GPS Capabilities bit mask
# SCHEDULING = 1
# MSB = 2
# MSA = 4
# ULP = 0x20
# default = MSA | MSB | SCHEDULING | ULP
CAPABILITIES=0x07

# Accuracy threshold for intermediate positions
# less accurate positions are ignored, 0 for passing all positions
# ACCURACY_THRES=5000

################################
##### AGPS server settings #####

# FOR SUPL SUPPORT, set the following
# SUPL_HOST=supl.host.com or IP
# SUPL_PORT=1234
SUPL_PORT=7276

# FOR C2K PDE SUPPORT, set the following
# C2K_HOST=c2k.pde.com or IP
# C2K_PORT=1234

# Sensor Settings

# Needs to be set explicitly based on sensor
# There is no default value.
#GYRO_BIAS_RANDOM_WALK=

SENSOR_ACCEL_BATCHES_PER_SEC=2
SENSOR_ACCEL_SAMPLES_PER_BATCH=5
SENSOR_GYRO_BATCHES_PER_SEC=2
SENSOR_GYRO_SAMPLES_PER_BATCH=5

# Sensor Control Mode (0=AUTO, 1=FORCE_ON)
SENSOR_CONTROL_MODE=0

# Enable or Disable Sensors for GPS use (0=Enable, 1=Disable)
SENSOR_USAGE=1

# Choose GSIFF sensor provider (1=DSPS, 2=Android NDK)
SENSOR_PROVIDER=1

# Indoor Positioning Settings
# 0: QUIPC disabled, 1: QUIPC enabled, 2: forced QUIPC only
QUIPC_ENABLED = 0

# EXTRA SETTINGS
# Enable or Disable Wiper (1=Enable, 0=Disable)
ENABLE_WIPER=0

####################################
# LTE Positioning Profile Settings
####################################
# 0: Enable RRLP on LTE(Default) 1: Enable LPP_User_Plane on LTE
LPP_PROFILE = 0
[/code]

Advanced-Europe.zip

Guest moorish

Thanks very much for the advanced european version - greatly appreciated. I will give it a go.

It would be interesting to know if anyone elses V5 is also missing gps.conf, or is it just mine..