GPS Lock Issue. Try This.

Guest Rico_89

Guest Rico_89

I don't know if this will work for everyone but worth a try.

Follow this tutorial: http://gizbeat.com/2...tk6577-mtk6575/

Then get a working gps.conf file. I pulled the one from my Huawei G300 but Tillaz has also put some up for download.

Now Launch the "GPS Test" app and wait for lock. Works better outside and the first time you launch it, for that day, it can take 30 to 60 seconds to lock up, but after that it should lock within 10 or 20 seconds. Now this is the important part and seems to make a difference for me. Do not close the GPS Test app by hitting the back button, just press the "Home" button about Ten seconds after you have attained lock on the GPS Test app. Now launch Google maps or your preferred Sat Nav app, and wait for lock. It should lock up quite fast. I tried this with Sygic yesterday and it worked perfectly so I also tried it this morning and again I attained lock in both Google Maps and Sygic.

Guest bryfly

I don't know if this will work for everyone but worth a try.

Follow this tutorial: http://gizbeat.com/2...tk6577-mtk6575/

Then get a working gps.conf file. I pulled the one from my Huawei G300 but Tillaz has also put some up for download.

Now Launch the "GPS Test" app and wait for lock. Works better outside and the first time you launch it, for that day, it can take 30 to 60 seconds to lock up, but after that it should lock within 10 or 20 seconds. Now this is the important part and seems to make a difference for me. Do not close the GPS Test app by hitting the back button, just press the "Home" button about Ten seconds after you have attained lock on the GPS Test app. Now launch Google maps or your preferred Sat Nav app, and wait for lock. It should lock up quite fast. I tried this with Sygic yesterday and it worked perfectly so I also tried it this morning and again I attained lock in both Google Maps and Sygic.

downloaded the gps.conf from Huawei y300 (which locked onto 11 stations within seconds even indoors) and pasted into V5, turned existing file into gps.config.bak rebooted and got lock on 8 sats on "gps test" after about 10 mins. however the little blue arrow on googlemaps was really erratic going all over the place.....

reverted to old gps.conf file, no GPS, but on google maps blue arrow is steady as a rock.

Question.... there is several other files in the system that seem to relate to GPS do they need to be downloaded along with the GPS.conf

Guest Rico_89

downloaded the gps.conf from Huawei y300 (which locked onto 11 stations within seconds even indoors) and pasted into V5, turned existing file into gps.config.bak rebooted and got lock on 8 sats on "gps test" after about 10 mins. however the little blue arrow on googlemaps was really erratic going all over the place.....

reverted to old gps.conf file, no GPS, but on google maps blue arrow is steady as a rock.

Question.... there is several other files in the system that seem to relate to GPS do they need to be downloaded along with the GPS.conf

I only used the gps.conf file, I only see one other file that might have something to do with gps but I didn't use it on the V5.

Also when you say, "reverted to old gps.conf file, no GPS, but on google maps blue arrow is steady as a rock." Do you mean you didn't turn GPS on? And how fast did you get lock on google maps?

Guest bryfly

I only used the gps.conf file, I only see one other file that might have something to do with gps but I didn't use it on the V5.

Also when you say, "reverted to old gps.conf file, no GPS, but on google maps blue arrow is steady as a rock." Do you mean you didn't turn GPS on? And how fast did you get lock on google maps?

gps is on but get no lock, when go into google maps blue arrow is stationary in the right place and not erratic.....but get no lock

Guest Rico_89

I wonder if having a sat nav app some how makes the GPS work better. .. Since I have installed Sygic on the V5 the GPS seems to be working quite well.

Guest bryfly

I wonder if having a sat nav app some how makes the GPS work better. .. Since I have installed Sygic on the V5 the GPS seems to be working quite well.

you might be right, have co-pilot installed and tried a couple of times, then went to gps test and got locks even indoors, even google maps is getting a lock now within 10 secs, only thing is the little blue arrow floats around my location erratically...........will see if it still works tomorrow

Guest blaster99999

ive mainly only used co pilot and after using the gps guide and doing the first lock , phone outside which took about 10 minutes , co-pilot as locked every time within a minute , don't really use google maps but if I get a lock using co pilot then close and go onto google maps I get the blue arrow and location

Guest Rico_89

Interesting how a Sat Nav app appears to improve things.. I wonder what could be missing from the rom .. ? Anyway I'll have to keep testing this to make sure it continues to work but right now it's working fine :) .

Guest bryfly

you might be right, have co-pilot installed and tried a couple of times, then went to gps test and got locks even indoors, even google maps is getting a lock now within 10 secs, only thing is the little blue arrow floats around my location erratically...........will see if it still works tomorrow

Switched phone on this morning and no GPS lock, tried GPS test and could not get lock, forget who said it but went via mobileuncle, mtk engineer mode, location, YGPS, sats, map shows 14 sats and locks onto 8 sats withing 15 secs, even indoors, switch to google maps and get lock within about 10secs.

Seems once you leave any app that uses GPS then the phone forgets the GPS info and it has to start all over again

Hopefully Vowney know about this concern and can fix with a ROM update.

Guest Rico_89

Yeah it seems that you have to kick start the GPS then it will work.. I will try it again later on today and see if it's still working for me as it has been for the past two days.

Guest e45cream
Yeah it seems that you have to kick start the GPS then it will work.. I will try it again later on today and see if it's still working for me as it has been for the past two days.

Yesterday I read a post somewhere that recommended "Gps Status & Toolbox (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2). It runs in the background and only appears when gps is being actively used. Since I've installed it, the gps is working great. Even if I reboot then open Google maps, I get a fix quickly . I think that the Gps Status & Toolbox program might be giving that automatic kick start we need. When it opens, it adds an icon in the status bar and info in the pulldown notification list.

Apart from that, I noticed that my network supplied time was out of sync with the gps time by a few seconds, so in the phone time settings I set it up to use gps time rather than network time. Reception seemed to be a lot stronger after that, but it may be placebo.

So I don't know if either or both of these have really helped, but my GPS is now working well since last night.

Can someone else give it a go?

Guest kieranswhite

Has anyone tried FasterFix? I'm so close to ordering one of these phones, I need to make sure that GPS works though!

This just modifies the gps.conf which we have already done

Guest bryfly

Taken all 6 of the GPS app's off my phone in case it was getting confused, tried mobile uncle again , mtk engineer mode / location / YGPS / sats / map shows 14 sats and locks onto 8 sats withing 15 secs, even indoors, switch to google maps and get lock within about 10secs.

turn off mtk engineer mode and GPS stops, or switch off over night and GPS stops....

think I will go back to an atlas... ;)

Guest Rico_89

e45cream, thanks I won't be able to it for the next few days though..But I'll give it a go as soon as I can.

think I will go back to an atlas... ;)

LOL .. Nooo!

Well had another go and again got lock with GPS test first and then near enough instant lock for Sygic and Google Maps. In Google Maps though I couldn't get street view to work by pressing on the map.....it just kept saying loading address. However if I pressed a point of interest and then selected street view it worked perfectly. So for now, at least, this kick start method seems to be working quite well.

Guest e45cream

Well, I've been using the program I mention in post #12 for 24 hours now, and my gps is still working great. I have even uninstalled Mobileuncle to make sure that wasn't doing anything, and after a reboot, Google maps takes about 40 seconds for the first fix, but subsequent fixes have been 2-15 seconds.

You can even turn off the status bar icon of GPS Status & Toolbox, so it's working totally in the background.

Guest bryfly

Well, I've been using the program I mention in post #12 for 24 hours now, and my gps is still working great. I have even uninstalled Mobileuncle to make sure that wasn't doing anything, and after a reboot, Google maps takes about 40 seconds for the first fix, but subsequent fixes have been 2-15 seconds.

You can even turn off the status bar icon of GPS Status & Toolbox, so it's working totally in the background.

My GPS seems to lock fine in Google Maps but then I did use GPS Status when I first got my V5.

Is there any special settings to do in any of the menu for this app, downloaded and tried a maps few times and worked fine locked in about 20secs, left for an hour and lost the gps......

Guest e45cream

Is there any special settings to do in any of the menu for this app, downloaded and tried a maps few times and worked fine locked in about 20secs, left for an hour and lost the gps......

I did a tools / a-gps /reset and I have the a-gps updating every 6 hours. Have you synced the phone time with the gps time?

Guest ChrisPNE

I didn't do anything special, just set the screen to stay on in GPS Status.

I just tried Google Maps walking from the car to the office and I was locked to 11 satellites in less than 10 seconds.

Guest ChrisPNE

I just tried Google Maps walking from the car to the office and I was locked to 11 satellites in less than 10 seconds.

Guest ChrisPNE

Guest ChrisPNE

Guest ChrisPNE