Acer Liquid E2 Duo - Dual SIM Quad Core for under £180?

Guest Maximus9

Guest Maximus9

Any other owners of this model? Seems like the best phone for under £200 (or 200euro in EU) FOR THE DUAL SIM VERSION!

I ordered it from expansys Ireland and got it for under £180 delivered in UK, in less than 48 hours. UPDATE: actually £160 now delivered to the UK from Amazon http://www.amazon.fr...duct/B00CGXCNKY

http://www.gsmarena....uid_e2-5418.php

Excellent reviews on Amazon.de, Amazon.fr. 2 years warranty with Acer.

Mine was manufactured in May 2013, and came with Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean.

The Dual SIM function works incredibly well. Everything is fast, smooth and it looks good.

It is almost too good to be true, but since it is very popular in France, and also Germany, and nobody found major reasons to complain, seems like a very very good deal.

Edited by Maximus9

Hi I've got this one too. It's a great device and it will get better in a very short time when Acer releases an update to allow full usage of the external SD cart for the apps.

We already have root, CWM and custom ROM are close too.

Guest Maximus9

Hi I've got this one too. It's a great device and it will get better in a very short time when Acer releases an update to allow full usage of the external SD cart for the apps.

We already have root, CWM and custom ROM are close too.

Hi there paugustin, yes, I know you from the Franch forums on which I posted about my problem with the 1.18 update I had. It turned out it was just the sd card.

The update to allow to install app on the SD might come, but who knows when, in the mean time, might be good to mention there is already a solution for that, after rooting. Everything is very easy to do, in 10 minutes.

So an excellent phone, with Dual SIM capabilities for an unbelievable price.

Any idea how to disable the vibration when in silent mode (for the soft keys) ? Very annoying. I think it is a bug.

I still have a little problem with google Play Music starting by itself, but this is not a phone related issue, it is a bug from Google. I will just uninstal it but not sure what to replace it with.

Guest proceno72

The update to allow to install app on the SD might come, but who knows when, in the mean time, might be good to mention there is already a solution for that, after rooting. Everything is very easy to do, in 10 minutes.

Can you share this information with all of us?

Guest Maximus9

Hi proceno, do you have the E2? Duo or simple? Let's grow the community for this great phone.

I will try to post a tutorial soon.

Guest Maximus9

Damn it, I paid more because I ordered from the Ireland website. At this price, might just be best phone on the market in terms of value for money.

Guest Bonell

Hello There,

I´ve gathered several info on how to do a lot of things wit this phone , Ihave tutorials for:

ROOT

CWM

MEMORY SWAP("vold.fstab" editing)

Extended system partition up to 2.77 GB (for apps)

I´m portuguese and I´ve written this in my native language.

You can check out the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/acer.liquid.e2.pt/

you can post there, an I´ll translate what you need, or we can create here a forum for the E2.

anyway , Im just trying to help.

Cheers

I have written several tutorials on French on www.acer-club.fr, they are on the exact same topic :-)

We would need to get those translated to english.

Having a dedicated forum would surely help. Is there a place where we can ask to get it ?

Guest Maximus9

Not sure how to open a dedicated section here on Modaco.

I found an English tutorial (oops, scratch that, think it's just a Google Translate from French).

I updated the translation a bit and also modified some parts to comply with forum rules.

Before you start this, consider saving your apps and data to avoid re-installation.

You could use Helium app for this (make sure you UNCHECK "App Data Only" to save both data and the apps themselves).

NOTE: With this method, you have one big advantage, you can unroot afterwards and still keep the expanded memory settings.

EDIT: Check first for any OTA updates and instal them first. Go to About phone/System Update/Check Now

Second, download the files: https://mega.co.nz/#...lmh1sr_XAeR52Gc

How to ROOT & expand the internal memory - FOR ACER E2 Liquid DUO

1. Install drivers:

First, start by installing the drivers that go to our beloved E2 liquid. Please install the drivers from driver1.zip

- In case of problems with the drivers above, try the other package driver2.7z

- Go to your System Settings, About phone, and click Build Number until your phone will again ask you to click four times more on build number to view options for developer. Once activated, go back to Settings and you will see a new option Developer Options, enable Usb Debugging. While there, I recommend enabling Allow Mock Locations too (optional).

- You can now connect your phone to the PC. After a short search, it will tell you that there's been an error.

- Open your device manager in other devices, you will have a yellow exclamation point, with the name MT65XX android device.

- Make right click on it, then make drivers day search for a driver on my computer and specify the folder where you previously extracted USB driver, then next.

Your drivers are now days.

2. Root your Acer E2.

- Open and extract the file Root.zip

- Connect your phone to the PC.

- Connect it as USB STORAGE

- Open the previously unzipped folder, and run the run.bat

- Press any key to continue ... Your phone must be recognized.

- Wait until the process finishes, and even press a key. Congratulations, your phone is Rooted.

3.EXPANDING THE INTERNAL MEMORY:

- Install Rom Toolbox and go to ROOT BROWSER (you might need the paid version)

OR if you don't have Rom Toolbox, just use ES file explorer or Total Commander or any other file explorer with Root access rights and a text editor.

- Find Vold.fstab file and open it (System\etc)

- Choose RT text mode(Text Editor).

- At the top right, edit and change the red numbers:

dev_mount sdcard / storage / sdcard "1" EMMC @ fat / devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 / devices/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmc_host

dev_mount sdcard2 / storage / sdcard "0" auto / devices / platform / goldfish [color = # FF0000] _mmc.1 / devices/platform/mtk-msdc.1/mmc_host

*Change only the two values between ""

- Restart, and check in Settings, Storage, phone storage must be increased.

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Maximus9

Guest Chris Johnston

Thanks for the 'english guide,' checked out some of the european forums myself, but was wary because of translation grey areas.

Hopefully this phone will take off on MoDaco and the UK so some developers get a rom together for it.

This is probably the cheapest android phone for 42.2 Mbps downloads as of now and good specs to go with it, for the money

Got mine from Expansys yesterday and well pleased with the performance so far.

Guest mrrog

got mine from amazon france last week £165 including post and currency exchange fee, really enjoying the phone to date, have any of you come across the gps bug, it seems to be a mediatek chip problem with the 'split' distances increasing exponentially, happens for me in google my tracks and endomondo

Edited by mrrog

Guest Chris Johnston

No probs with GPS, but I don't use Tracks, not sure what you mean by 'mediatek chip problem with the 'split' distances increasing exponentially'.

​From what I've read the chips pretty solid for a mid range quad core, maybe it's a software glitch

Guest mrrog

here's a link to the problem,

it aIso occurs with endomondo, and i have to say track recording is nowhere near as good as with my old skate

Guest Maximus9

Thanks for the 'english guide,' checked out some of the european forums myself, but was wary because of translation grey areas.

Hopefully this phone will take off on MoDaco and the UK so some developers get a rom together for it.

This is probably the cheapest android phone for 42.2 Mbps downloads as of now and good specs to go with it, for the money

Got mine from Expansys yesterday and well pleased with the performance so far.

You might wanna press on "Vote this post up" if you found it useful.

Anyone else finding the battery charging incredibly slow? I tried different chargers and it takes about 5 hours for a full charge. At 99%, it takes about 30 min to go to 100%.

On the other hand, I get almost two full days battery life, which is the most I ever got from a smartphone, let alone a Dual SIM one.

Edited by Maximus9

Guest Maximus9

Seems like there are not many owners of this model yet. Hope there will be more to exchange ideas.

Tried yesterday to connect the phone to my BT audio system, but failed both as a phone and/or as an audio device.

Tried a Blackberry on the same car and it connected flawlessly.

Not sure what the problem is... anyone used the phone to stream music via BT?

Guest Chris Johnston

Yes, probably only a few hundred devices in the country at the moment. Lets hope it gets more popular when Three start selling it and if some of the chains (Carphone etc.) pick it up.

Makes it hard to get device specific accessories right now. Got a generic pull tab case for £2.39 off Ebay, that will do for now.

Shame if it doesn't take off, because it's a great phone for the money.

Haven't had any connections problems, but I've only used to tether to a PC at home, which it does well.

Guest LeWill

Just got the phone from Expansys on Monday. Really pleased with the phone so far, other than not being able to install apps to the SD card. Thought you couldn't use custom ring tones, but all good once I'd worked it out. Today the phone seems to have locked up (screen blank etc) but removing battery sorted it - hopefully a one off.

In answer to the BT query, I synched it with one of my cars and when I used the player that comes with the phone it automatically played through the cars system.

On an unrelated note, I'm using Tapatalk beta 4 and can't seem to post on this forum....

Guest ChrisK64

Not sure how to open a dedicated section here on Modaco.

I found an English tutorial (oops, scratch that, think it's just a Google Translate from French).

I updated the translation a bit and also modified some parts to comply with forum rules.

Before you start this, consider saving your apps and data to avoid re-installation.

You could use Helium app for this (make sure you UNCHECK "App Data Only" to save both data and the apps themselves).

NOTE: With this method, you have one big advantage, you can unroot afterwards and still keep the expanded memory settings.

EDIT: Check first for any OTA updates and instal them first. Go to About phone/System Update/Check Now

Second, download the files: https://mega.co.nz/#...lmh1sr_XAeR52Gc

How to ROOT & expand the internal memory - FOR ACER E2 Liquid DUO

1. Install drivers:

First, start by installing the drivers that go to our beloved E2 liquid. Please install the drivers from driver1.zip

- In case of problems with the drivers above, try the other package driver2.7z

- Go to your System Settings, About phone, and click Build Number until your phone will again ask you to click four times more on build number to view options for developer. Once activated, go back to Settings and you will see a new option Developer Options, enable Usb Debugging. While there, I recommend enabling Allow Mock Locations too (optional).

- You can now connect your phone to the PC. After a short search, it will tell you that there's been an error.

- Open your device manager in other devices, you will have a yellow exclamation point, with the name MT65XX android device.

- Make right click on it, then make drivers day search for a driver on my computer and specify the folder where you previously extracted USB driver, then next.

Your drivers are now days.

2. Root your Acer E2.

- Open and extract the file Root.zip

- Connect your phone to the PC.

- Connect it as USB STORAGE

- Open the previously unzipped folder, and run the run.bat

- Press any key to continue ... Your phone must be recognized.

- Wait until the process finishes, and even press a key. Congratulations, your phone is Rooted.

3.EXPANDING THE INTERNAL MEMORY:

- Install Rom Toolbox and go to ROOT BROWSER (you might need the paid version)

OR if you don't have Rom Toolbox, just use ES file explorer or Total Commander or any other file explorer with Root access rights and a text editor.

- Find Vold.fstab file and open it (System\etc)

- Choose RT text mode(Text Editor).

- At the top right, edit and change the red numbers:

dev_mount sdcard / storage / sdcard "1" EMMC @ fat / devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 / devices/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmc_host

dev_mount sdcard2 / storage / sdcard "0" auto / devices / platform / goldfish [color = # FF0000] _mmc.1 / devices/platform/mtk-msdc.1/mmc_host

*Change only the two values between ""

- Restart, and check in Settings, Storage, phone storage must be increased.

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by ChrisK64

Guest mrrog

here's a link to the problem,

it aIso occurs with endomondo, and i have to say track recording is nowhere near as good as with my old skate

looked into this a bit further now and it does seem to be a problem with the way the software does distance on this chip, if you like to record tracks then neither endomondo or google my tracks does it correctly, but runkeeper does. For navigation osmand has a problem but navfree is ok, and bizarrely google maps seems ok for nav as well, go figure

Guest Al_1604

Just got mine (from Amazon.fr) to replace my JuayuG2 whose glass screen (outer) smashed when dropped on one corner :(

Price now dropped a little (since I ordered) :angry:

Really nice phone - immediately did OTA update and it looks to me like I can install apps on the SD card - Build is Acer_AV061_V370_1.018.00_WW_GEN1

Guest LeWill

Just got mine (from Amazon.fr) to replace my JuayuG2 whose glass screen (outer) smashed when dropped on one corner :(

Price now dropped a little (since I ordered) :angry:

Really nice phone - immediately did OTA update and it looks to me like I can install apps on the SD card - Build is Acer_AV061_V370_1.018.00_WW_GEN1

I think you are mistaken, I think you are installing to the phones own internal storage (there is around 1.65GB initially). I have the same build and I can assure you, you cannot install directly to any SD card.

Guest Al_1604

I am looking at the 'Storage' option in the settings menu right now - At the top it says 'Preferred install location...', 'Default Write Disk' and the choice is 'Phone Storage' or 'SD card', I have 'SD card' selected (though I only selected this after installing most of my usual apps), further down the same page is a section labeled 'SD Card' showing 'Total space 7.48GB' (I have an 8GB card installed). Are you saying it isn't really going to use the SD card to install?

Very misleading if it isn't really installing to the (external) SD card.

Still on day 1 but really liking this phone though.