Merimobiles

Guest JetKun

Guest Dan Mullen

I ordered on 4th July and it only started tracking this week. It does now say it's arrived in GB, so I expect it either today or Monday.

Guest Dan Mullen

Got it today :) Have to say, I'm mightily impressed with it given it cost under £120! I haven't had a chance to have a proper "play" with it yet, but I'm just about to root it and restore all my apps using Titanium Backup. I'll put it through its paces tomorrow.

Guest Northstandhero

Was debating whether to go with Merrimobiles or not for the V5, ended up looking on Ebay, got a brand new V5 for £130, Paid Thursday, Delivered Friday :) :) .

Seller wanted a new 5" Smartphone Ordered from China, but took that long to be delivered went out and bought one, so sold this when finally delivered. It came with Playstore and the V1.2 Rom on it. Thanks to Tillaz I now have Root,CWM and his custom Rom on,Very impressed.

Edited by Northstandhero

Guest Ironandroid

Success find: 3 items!

item No. Year Status Location Destination Country Date

RB320022768CN 2013 Collection 10061400 IT 20130725 0945

RB320022768CN 2013 Departure from China Beijing IT 20130726 1633

RB320022768CN 2013 Waiting for transit airline Space Beijing IT 20130727 1435

Update: bought on july 13, they said shipped on July 16 but as you can see it was collected only on July 25 and "what a chance" only after my complaining on the chat line. So basically they are cheating when they write to you shipped. And i did not even choose a colour

Guest allanmac

I bought on July 11 and just started receiving updates:

RB---------CN 2013 Collection 10061400 US 20130725 0945

RB---------CN 2013 Departure from outward office of exchange 10010200 US 20130726 1150

RB---------CN 2013 Opening 10010200 US 20130727 1435

Guest bryfly

Success find: 3 items!

item No. Year Status Location Destination Country Date

RB320022768CN 2013 Collection 10061400 IT 20130725 0945

RB320022768CN 2013 Departure from China Beijing IT 20130726 1633

RB320022768CN 2013 Waiting for transit airline Space Beijing IT 20130727 1435

Update: bought on july 13, they said shipped on July 16 but as you can see it was collected only on July 25 and "what a chance" only after my complaining on the chat line. So basically they are cheating when they write to you shipped. And i did not even choose a colour

Had the same with Merimobiles and pandawill, the shipping date bears no resemblance to actual shipping date, shipping to them seems to mean packed and ready to ship, then the postal company picks it up and starts the actual shipping process about a week later.

Edited by bryfly

Guest Dan Mullen

I bought on July 11 and just started receiving updates:

RB---------CN 2013 Collection 10061400 US 20130725 0945

RB---------CN 2013 Departure from outward office of exchange 10010200 US 20130726 1150

RB---------CN 2013 Opening 10010200 US 20130727 1435

In my experience, having bought two items from them, it should arrive in the UK 1-2 days after "Opening", then you should receive it 2-3 days after that.

Guest allanmac

In my experience, having bought two items from them, it should arrive in the UK 1-2 days after "Opening", then you should receive it 2-3 days after that.

Great! There are direct flights from PEK to SEA so I'm hoping it arrives on one of those.

I'll let everyone know if the V5 actually works here in the USA on WCDMA bands other than 850 MHz. I'm skeptical it will work but we'll see...

Guest LeeBadBoyBonner

Still not received anything from Merimobiles.

Lost patience.

34 days since I ordered.

Opened up a dispute with PayPal - to ensure I am not disbarred from making a claim with them - while Merimobiles say they are "looking" for my phone.

Not impressed as a first time customer and glad I paid with PayPal.

Will keep people updated on here.

Edited by LeeBadBoyBonner

Guest Rico_89

Lost patience.

34 days since I ordered.

Opened up a dispute with PayPal - to ensure I am not disbarred from making a claim with them - while Merimobiles say they are "looking" for my phone.

Smart move.. I would have done the same thing. I still think merimobles is the best company to buy from, only because I have heard from others that they give refunds with out any hassles, so hopefully you will be on par with their refund experiences. Good luck and thanks for keeping us informed.

Guest bryfly

Lost patience.

34 days since I ordered.

Had to do the same with merimobiles, was told time and time again it was posted and wait a bit longer even though it never tracked, eventually raised a PayPal dispute even then they said, wait it will arrive, then about 3 days later paypal account said "refund due to lost in the post", package never did arrive and never heard anything else from Merimobiles.

Received my order today; It was bought with the $10 credit they gave me for sending my V5 in the wrong color. I ordered 2 screen protectors, a flashlight keychain, and an EMT penlight. They didn't include the penlight in the package <_<. Debating whether it's even worth it to raise the issue with them. This stuff was virtually free anyway :D

Guest allanmac

I'll let everyone know if the V5 actually works here in the USA on WCDMA bands other than 850 MHz. I'm skeptical it will work but we'll see...

Anddddddd... despite Merimobiles repeatedly stating that 1900 MHz WCDMA is supported, it isn't.

According to the Mobile Uncle app, the V5 does appear to support 850 MHz WCDMA which is heavily used by AT&T here in the USA.

Unfortunately I was expecting support for 1900 MHz.

Otherwise, it's a pretty awesome phone. Stunning screen.

When powered up and connected to Wi-Fi the V5 "Mobile Assistant" app prompted to download "ALSP.JB2.MP.V1.3" [sic]. The typo being "ALSP" instead of "ALPS".

I'm going to let that download and apply it if possible.

Compass is locked at 0 degrees, just like everyone else.

I sure wish I could keep it. Switching carriers is straightforward but still a hassle.

Guest allanmac

I've notified Merimobiles that 1900 MHz WCDMA is not supported and wish to return the phone for a refund. We're pretty much an 850/1900 MHz country here in the USA (plus some freaky frequencies used by T-Mobile USA).

It looks like a I got a "good" V5 too as all the lights light up and buttons work. Made some 2G calls, used Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and GPS. Just no 1900 MHz 3G. :(

It's too bad as I think the phone is a tremendous value. I can imagine this phone selling like crazy here in the USA. There is a 4.7" MediaTek powered phone called the BLU Life Play that *does* support 850/1900/2100 but it wasn't available until recently and is $230 / £151. It seems to be getting rave reviews on Amazon.

The Vowney's 5" screen and massive battery are really great selling points though. I just wish the baseband could be MacGyvered into supporting 1900 WCDMA!

Edited by allanmac

Guest LesMcQueen

I'm heading for RMA hell. :-(

I got back from holiday at the weekend to find that my phone had arrived.

After fully charging it and switching it on, I found I was getting random reboots, and the back cover was getting really hot (around the place where the micro SIM goes).

This leads me to believe that it was overheating. Uptime was longer when I attempted to cool the phone

Now it won't even switch on. I get no charging light when it is plugged in. It's completely dead.

In between reboots however, I saw all the issues that people on these forums had been reporting, which makes me reluctant to get another V5 as a replacement.

Do you guys know of a phone that Merimobiles sell of roughly the same spec. that doesn't suffer from the same issues?

Gutted :-(

Guest LeeBadBoyBonner

From Seller – Merimobiles Technology Co., Limited

05/08/2013 23:01 BST

Hi Lee I have not updated you as I am still waiting after the shipping company who is saying the item is in your country and should be delivered shortly . I do wish I could control the shipping company and get this done right now. By escalating the dispute PayPal will verify the tracking number and than waif at least 10 days before taking a decision on the outcome

Its a lot better if we resolve this amicably we expect to get a final answer from the shipping company this week

Please advise thank you and sorry for the inconvenience

From Buyer – Lee Bonner

06/08/2013 12:36 BST

While I appreciate your position I think you'll have to appreciate that the protection PayPal offer is governed by deadlines.

I am a bit loathed to run everything to the wire on a stream of empty promises. I think I have been beyond amicable when I paid for something 26 June and are still being given further promises none of which have materialised.

I have paid money for something I have not received. I was informed that at the very latest I would receive the item was at 21 working days. I have not received the item in almost 30 working days. Why would I not be unhappy?

I don't think it helped that I was lied to from the outset - stating my phone had "shipped" 26 June to take my money when clearly nothing of the sort had happened. I was then informed the post needed time for tracking to work on 3 July. This was also a lie. The item had not even been actually shipped until 5 July.

All round a shoddy experience. So you'll have to forgive me for having very little sympathy left to your cause. The tracking number states the item is still awaiting airspace in Bejing.

Who is this shipping company that you keep referring to that do not know where their packages are or if they have been delivered for weeks at a time?

One thing is certain they have not delivered it to me!

You say "By escalating the dispute PayPal will verify the tracking number and than waif at least 10 days before taking a decision on the outcome"

Well that sounds like good news to me as I am fed up of wasting my time chasing up this matter.

Guest allanmac

Updates on using the V5 here in the USA:

- Merimobiles went and edited out WCDMA 1900 MHz from their page and then asked me "So why did you think it would be supported?". I wasn't surprised or even that offended. Luckily I have screen captures of their page and it's in the Google cache.

- The Mobile Uncle tool does indicate that 850 MHz is supported and AT&T's 3G towers were recognized with my other SIM cards. But as I was on TMO I couldn't attach to the AT&T bands. AT&T in the USA uses 850/1900 while TMO uses 1900/AWS.

So I popped into the AT&T store just now and they generously let me try out a microSIM card on the V5. When I took the back off of the V5 the representative said, "Whoa! That's a big battery!" :)

The V5 immediately attached to AT&T's 3G network with an H+ indicator on the signal strength meter. The "Network Signal Info" app showed it to be an HSPA+ 21 Mbps connection. I also ran the Speedtest.Net app once and it scored 3,543 kbps down, 1,251 kbps up. Not bad.

The quandary now is whether to switch carriers to AT&T and drop down to 2.5G in 1900 MHz zones or return the phone to Merimobiles.

The good news is that 850 MHz does seem to work fine on my V5 running the latest V6.P5 baseband.

Guest bryfly

From Seller – Merimobiles Technology Co., Limited

05/08/2013 23:01 BST

Hi Lee I have not updated you as I am still waiting after the shipping company who is saying the item is in your country and should be delivered shortly . I do wish I could control the shipping company and get this done right now. By escalating the dispute PayPal will verify the tracking number and than waif at least 10 days before taking a decision on the outcome

Its a lot better if we resolve this amicably we expect to get a final answer from the shipping company this week

Please advise thank you and sorry for the inconvenience

You might get the phone, but you are getting the same run around as I did until I gave them a deadline to when I would escalate my PayPal dispute to the next level, within a couple of days I got my money back, saying "lost in post".

PS....the phone never turned up.

Edited by bryfly

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ironandroid

bought july 13 arrived august 22. . rooted with su play store working and screen protector included even if i did not order it. no extra custom charge

Guest Dan Mullen

I have to say, in my case I bought two items from Merimobiles in two separate orders - the Vowney V5 and a Cube U30GT2 tablet. I received both items within a few weeks and was very happy with the service I received. Maybe I got lucky and it's a bit of a lottery - you need to weigh up the risk of ordering from overseas with the incredibly low prices.

Guest Ironandroid

maybe my last post was misunderstood. apart from the long waiting time to receiving the phone it was good indeed. everything is working (besides compass as expected) and software speaking it updated with ota to the 6/26 rom release with no need to do what posted in another section. as wrote it came with a free screen protector. si over all i cannot but recomending merimobiles

Guest Ironandroid

I would like to report to all of you this fact. I have received from merimobiles the request of a review of this phone. So i wrote and state honestly all the cons (shaking led no compass poor gps mediocre assembling quality) and all the pros (super screen good wifi bt and telephone signal transmission) finally concluding that the opportunity of buying this phone is dependent on its price. Two days have passed but no sign of my report yet on the site. I hope this is only a delay and not a censorship otherwise the possibility of correctly getting informed by other clients is blocked and this is not acceptable

Guest Dan Mullen

I would like to report to all of you this fact. I have received from merimobiles the request of a review of this phone. So i wrote and state honestly all the cons (shaking led no compass poor gps mediocre assembling quality) and all the pros (super screen good wifi bt and telephone signal transmission) finally concluding that the opportunity of buying this phone is dependent on its price. Two days have passed but no sign of my report yet on the site. I hope this is only a delay and not a censorship otherwise the possibility of correctly getting informed by other clients is blocked and this is not acceptable

I've posted two reviews to Merimobiles and they both took a few days to appear.