G300 Baseband, do I have to prevent updates?

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting this phone, as an update to my ZTE Blade... which has been a great phone until the Touchscreen died. As it has plenty of ROM support, unlike any other phone Ive been viewing...

However one thing that worries me, is talk about Basebands?? On the ZTE, we didnt have to worry about this, flash away to our hearts content....

What do I have to do with the G300 to enable me to Upgrade/Downgrade as often as I like... Do I have to save/preserve or worry about Baseband... Or once its updated to 2030, then it stays at that BB and can use CWM to my hearts content...??

At end of day, I'd to be able to switch between GB, ICS and JB as of when chose. Ideally I'll stick with either PAC or Rootbox....

Many thanks, Lister

Guest bladebuddy

Basebands are not really a problem anymore as the crafty developers like Tillaz and Jev have made cwm flashing patches that after flashing the rom you flash the patch and you can use just about any rom u like. I am writing this on CM7,S tiny little keyboard right now with the help of the patch.

To be honest there are a lot better phones about the y300 is gaining good support and has better specs.

Also the nexus 4 dropping in price makes that a good choice.

J.:rolleyes:

Edited by bladebuddy

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi BladeBuddy,

Going via your name, I am guessing you was (or still are...) a ZTE Blade user...??

Basically my phone died the other night (very upset, served me well for 3x years... lol).

If / when you get a moment (on a PC) can you link to the direct files please... As dont really know what to look for, or risk bricking it... :(

Is the Y300 really gaining a lot of support, as someone else suggested this phone too... However when I searched Google, here and XDA, I find like couple of threads... Where as this phone, beit older has like 62x roms...

Ideally I would like a more updated phone, but worry about the ROM support...

Thanks, Lister

Guest bladebuddy

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?/topic/361310-Downgrade-&-upgrade-from-recovery

This is the upgrade / downgrade patch that has been introduced to some roms and can be flashed separately after flashing any rom to change you're baseband.

Changing basebands was always done via official update apps before so it has always been safer then a tpt gen1 to gen2 flash which is the blades equivalent.

I use the tapatalk app which allows you to read new and unread topics and at the moment its all about the y300 or 510 as its called.

cheap phone seen them as low as £60 with the usual top up, duel core

with good devs onboard.

Not to sure what these cost now if there still available.

All the best with you're choice J.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi BladeBuddy,

Thank you again for your quick response... and very very useful information.... :)

I've seen the Y300 at Carphonewarehouse for £70 + £10 topup.... and the hardware is far better than this model. However Ive not seen many roms for it yet...? :( Will there be like GB, ICS and JB as well as FireFox for it...??

This one is still going for about £70 brand new too... Its old, and not as good as Y300.... but it does have a lot of ROMs for it...

Is the Y300 identical to the G510? As I've seen various posts about different model Y300 / G510 (-0100 -0150 -0200) and that you can't mix firmwares??

Sorry to ask so many noob questions.... But sure as you can appreciate, our ZTE Blades were so simple to just flash up and down firmwares...

I'm likely to buy one of them (G300 or Y300) tomorrow, just dont know what to go for.... G300 which is old but lots of support. Or Y300 which is far better, new, and so unknown if firmware will really take off...

I need them to be unlocked so can use T-Mobile Sim (Y300 will already be on T-Mobile) Where as the G300 will be locked to Vodafone, but I think I can request Voda to unlock it, as a mate had this phone a little while ago and got it instantly unlocked...

Cheers, Lister