Upgrading phone from blade 3?

Guest leripe

Guest leripe

Hello,

I have been thinking of upgrading from this blade 3, since well its pretty laggy compared to 300-400€ phones.

I have been thinking of sony xperia v and samsung s3.

Xperia has official cyanogenmod.

Samsung seems to have better battery(usage), but it doesnt have qualcomm chipset so how good can cm be on the phone? It has Exynos 4412 Quad.

http://www.modaco.co...16#entry2125216

Galaxy S Advance has a Novathor chipset. I doubt there will be any good/fully working/stable CyanogenMod ports. If you want to use AOSP based ROMs you better stick with Qualcomm devices or get a Nexus.

Does that apply for exynos too?

Edit: Well seems that samsung s4 mini is 399e, 40e pricier than xperia, but it has qualcomm.

Edited by leripe

Guest KonstaT

Well, you really can't compare 100€ Chinese piece of sh*t from the bargain bin to devices that are three or four times more expensive. :P Blade III is an entry level device and it doesn't even try to be anything else. Somehow still some people seem to think that you should be able to do the same things with it that you'd do on a 600€ flagship device.

It applies to Exynos more than anything. If it isn't a Nexus with Exynos, forget it. Samsung generally doesn't release any source code for their platforms and they don't use the same chipset in their other devices that they use in a Nexus. E.g. other Exynos 5 devices don't benefit from Nexus 10 (5250) AOSP source code because of different chipsets (Galaxy S4 - 5410). Exynos 4 was completely skipped from AOSP and Samsung never released any proper working platform source for it. Exynos 3 is an exeption (Nexus S and Galaxy S have the same chipset) and both still run great basically everything you give them. ;)

Exynos platform has been a nightmare for developers. I don't think there's even today proper stable CyanogenMod ports for Exynos 4 devices (Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Note 2). There's absolutely nothing for Exynos 5 variant of Galaxy S4 (I guess same goes to yet to be announced Note 3). TeamHacksung has basically given up on Exynos platform and their developers have moved to another (Qualcomm) devices.

Entropy wrote an extensive Exynos 4 development saga that's quite interesting read.

Guest KonstaT

Yeah, Oppo is great. It's developer friedly, but still somewhat challenging (from a ROM developer point of view) so it doesn't get boring (vs. Nexus). Unfortunately their devices (like many China phones) are missing 900Mhz 3G bandwidth which is broadly used in Europe. And R819 is a MediaTek device which means no AOSP love for it either.

Now that price dropped on Nexus 4, I really can't see much reason to buy any other device (just as long it's available in your country :P).

Guest leripe

Thanks konsta from answering! Well of course I never expected blades to be any good as the 3-4x pricier phones. I just now have the money to move from them, so I have been searching for the next phone to buy :)

Seems I will stick with qualcomm then, I just had to aks if anyother chipset was good for custom roms :P

I think ill go with the s4 mini.

Nexus 4 just doenst have sdcard slot, if it had I would buy it.

Guest Muztek

@KonstaT Nexus 4 is available in my country but not to the low price that Google sell it for ;(

R819 has the 900Mhz and sells in Europe for €269 i also like the dual sim feature

Guest KonstaT

@KonstaT Nexus 4 is available in my country but not to the low price that Google sell it for ;(

R819 has the 900Mhz and sells in Europe for €269 i also like the dual sim feature

Yeah, but it's still MediaTek. No CyanogenMod, no AOSPA, no AOKP - ever.

Guest peetu20

Yeah, but it's still MediaTek. No CyanogenMod, no AOSPA, no AOKP - ever.

Buh! Seems that only mabufactures which makes good devices seems to be zte and huawei.

Seems that if I some day can stop using Blade 1, I will just buy crap-end huawei, or blade 4 :P

Guest leripe

Gotta say that this is S4 mini performance is what i needed from phone (its like upgrading HDD to SSD in a pc), but didnt have money for it before. This is just awesome. Thanks konstat and others for great times with blade(s), without you those phones would have been much less than they are now.

Now that price dropped on Nexus 4, I really can't see much reason to buy any other device (just as long it's available in your country :P).

it's an awesome device, i like the s4 mini even better, but i have one reason for *never* getting one: amoled.

• 4 weeks later...

I droped my ZTE Blade 3 for some days ago and had to quickly buy a new phone and my selection fell on a Huawei Ascend P6, it works pretty well for the money, unfortunly there ar not so many custom roms yet, but the device is easy to root and there are a way to use CWM so i think ther soon is some usable roms. The orginal rom is not bad exept for the launcher, the worst launcher i ever used, but launcher are easy to change. The only bad thing i found so far is that music in headset is low, and the orginal handsfre is totaly crap.