G300 - stuck in "Emergency Calls Only" mode

Guest AlanF100

Guest AlanF100

My three month old Huawei G300 has worked fine until yesterday and now it is stuck in "Emergency Calls Only" mode.

It was unlocked and updated to 4.01 when I got it and it has worked OK with GiffGaff.

The GiffGaff SIM is OK in another phone and I have a good signal. Other SIMs in the G300 give the same locked in emergency mode screen.

I have tried several re-starts and toggling airplain mode as suggested in some old threads on this topic but its still stuck. Nothing I do will get it out of this mode.

Powering up and going to the CWM diagnostic screens (via Volume UP & Power On) I did a full Backup. I then did a Clear Data and Reset Factory Defaults. The phone then came up in its correct Android reset state and I could use the default system apps. All seemed to be working OK.

I then did a Restore (of the earlier in the day image). When the Restore finished I did a Restart. I am now back to the "Emergency Calls Only" state and I can't get into Android do anything else. Clearly there is something in the Restored state which jams the phone up. I dont know what to do !

I have found some old threads on this jammed up state but have found no solution.

Any help would be appreciated. I can start re-loading all the extra Apps from Factory state but dont want to go through the long process to have the phone lock up on me again ! HELP !

Regards,

Alan

Guest george109

You need to be rooted to do this:

Restore your old backup from when you had no service. Now Download an app called GOBackup from The Play Store and then open it. Grant it root, and then go to backup and go to batch backup. Now backup everything except Wi-Fi access points, or anything else in that section. Also do not backup any system apps. Now press backup. Wait until it is done and then reboot to recovery. Do a factory reset/wipe data and then restart. Set up the phone and download go backup again from the play store and then run it. Grant it root and then click backup/restore again. Now press batch restore and restore everything you backed up except for Wi-Fi access points or system apps. Now wait until it is done (it does take a long time) and then you should have all your apps and their data back and a signal! :D

Edited by george109

Guest AlanF100

Take out you're sim card and make sure you replace it properly first then report back.

I have done that many times, including cleaning the contacts and it is still no better - Emergency Calls Only.

The phone works OK after a Factory Reset with the GiffGaff SIM in place and undisturbed before, during and after the reset.

After the Factory Reset the phone obviously reads the SIM as all my people contacts are there.

The fault comes back after I do the Restore - also without disturbing the SIM.

Alan

Guest AlanF100

You need to be rooted to do this:

Restore your old backup from when you had no service. Now Download an app called GOBackup from The Play Store and then open it. Grant it root, and then go to backup and go to batch backup. Now backup everything except Wi-Fi access points, or anything else in that section. Also do not backup any system apps. Now press backup. Wait until it is done and then reboot to recovery. Do a factory reset/wipe data and then restart. Set up the phone and download go backup again from the play store and then run it. Grant it root and then click backup/restore again. Now press batch restore and restore everything you backed up except for Wi-Fi access points or system apps. Now wait until it is done (it does take a long time) and then you should have all your apps and their data back and a signal! :D

Hi,

"Restore your old backup from when you had no service. Now Download an app called GOBackup from The Play Store and then open it."

I can't do this because when the phone is in its locked up in "Emergency Calls Only" mode I can't do anything else - no Apps visible, no Google PlayStore to run, no downloads - nothing works except dial emergency numbers.

Alan

Guest AlanF100

Restore the phone, Download this then, and save it on your SD card: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Now, go settings > dev options > unknown sources, and then install this, it is the go backup app. Now carry on as if you had downloaded the app from the play store. :)

Hi,

Sorry but either I am thick or I am missing something.

Yes I can put the file on the SD card OK (via the computer) - but I don't understand how I can do "go settings > dev options > unknown sources, and then install this file" on the phone and from the phones SD card ? When the phone is in its locked up "Emergency Calls Only" mode I cant do "go settings" or anything else.

I can only do "go settings" after a reset to factory settings - but in that state I could download from the App Store anyway and would not be backing up the correct state ?

Please explain ?

Alan

Guest george109

Hi,

Sorry but either I am thick or I am missing something.

Yes I can put the file on the SD card OK (via the computer) - but I don't understand how I can do "go settings > dev options > unknown sources, and then install this file" on the phone and from the phones SD card ? When the phone is in its locked up "Emergency Calls Only" mode I cant do "go settings" or anything else.

I can only do "go settings" after a reset to factory settings - but in that state I could download from the App Store anyway and would not be backing up the correct state ?

Please explain ?

Alan

When you say locked up, do you mean that it is frozen?

EDIT: As in that it does not respond ?

Edited by george109

Guest AlanF100

When you say locked up, do you mean that it is frozen?

EDIT: As in that it does not respond ?

Hi,

When the phone is turned on I get a screen with a phone dialler keypad and the bottom message "Emergency Calls Only"

I can enter numbers and hit DIAL. The power button brings up the selections Power Off / Restart / Airplain Mode which all work.

The bottom three buttons under the glass System / Home / Backup do not work or respond in any way - they do not light up, they are dead i.e. locked off. So I can't get to any System things, to any Apps / Home page, etc..

Latest bit of news is that I have now reset the phone to Factory State, started to set it up as it was (no extra Apps yet) and it all works fine, dials contacts, receives calls, etc.. So something in its previous state, if I do a Restore, locks it up. I have unfortunately now lost all the Apps I had and the data.

Alan

Guest AlanF100

Have you unlocked the network?

I don't understand the question.

What do I have to do to "unlock the network" ?

Its a GiffGaff SIM and it works in the phone from a factory reset.

It doesn't work when the phone is restored to previous state and I get "Emergency Calls Only". In this state I can't do anything other than dial an emergency number. How would I unlock the network ?

This "locked up" state happened yesterday afternoon after the phone was on charge and not even being used.

Alan

Guest george109

Well, put it this way. what happens if you restore the phone, and then take out the SIM card, and then turn it on.

Does it still say emergency calls only?

Edited by george109

Guest AlanF100

Well, put it this way. what happens if you restore the phone, and then take out the SIM card, and then turn it on.

Does it still say emergency calls only?

It says "No SIM - Emergency Calls Only".

With the SIM in it says "GiffGaff - Emergency Calls Only"

Alan

Guest AlanF100

Can i just confirm, are you on the Stock ROM?

I dont know. It had been unlocked and "updated" by the firm that supplied it.

About Phone says :-

Android Version 4.0.3

Baseband Version 2030

Kernel Version 3.08-perf-00248-g698ffda android@localhost#1

Build Number U8815V100R001C00B952

Alan