Official ICS -> Jelly Bean worth the update?

Guest MadManniMan

Guest MadManniMan

After continiously experiencing problems with trying to install ANY custom ROM (most of them ending in endless "waiting for device" orgies) I have lost the faith in succeeding ... so my question is: is JB really worth the effort?

The main problems I have with my Stock ICS are

- echo from my audio out -- no bigger problem with headphones but strange on external speakers

- thumbnail-file constantly eating all the free memory on my internal storage -- even without having more than a dozen of photos on the device

- a slightly more "laggy" feel compared to official Gingerbread -- Project Butter might help, aye?

So, what do you think?

Should I spend any more hours in trying to update?

If so, would would I win?

Your question is unclear - perhaps you can rephrase it?

If you're asking why GB then these threads may help:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/365041-gb-b895-superslim-v1/

http://www.modaco.com/topic/364973-gb-b895-slim-v7-multibaseband/

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355090-rom-gb-atomicmod-any-baseband-gbics/

And there are a bunch of other posts in several other threads about why some people prefer to choose GB.

Hope this helps.

Saying that, Slim v8 by Telonous is the best JB used so far.

Nothing personal but statements like this seem to be very very subjective and are likely to be very dependent on personal usage profiles. Pick almost any ROM and you'll find one or more people who will claim that it's the "best" for the G300. Just check out some of the many "which ROM should I use" threads. :-) I'm sure that there are plenty of others who will claim that one of the CM10 ROMs is the best JB for the G300.

Having said that there does seem to be some logic behind the general statement "a GB ROM is 'best' for the G300"...

Nothing personal but statements like this seem to be very very subjective and are likely to be very dependent on personal usage profiles. Pick almost any ROM and you'll find one or more people who will claim that it's the "best" for the G300. Just check out some of the many "which ROM should I use" threads. :-) I'm sure that there are plenty of others who will claim that one of the CM10 ROMs is the best JB for the G300.

Having said that there does seem to be some logic behind the general statement "a GB ROM is 'best' for the G300"...

Indeed, whatever I've posted (or other users) is in my / their personal opinion... and to begin with the OP's question is "So, what do you think?"

I think what he meant to say is that this phone runs best under GB since ICS was never properly implemented on the G300 compared to other phones. By that angle, he's telling the true. What each person wants for themselves, it's a different subject all together.

OP, if i'ts that much a hassle to you, then no it's not worth it. JB has some neat features, the only one really worth mentioning to me is the better notification menu with some actions available from the get-go straight from it, like replying, deleting messages, mark as read, etc. But some ICS roms have that anyway. And the tiles look nicer than the standard power toggles. Other than that it's not much different, the clock app is redone quite nicely and it has a in-built timer now (something I'm mentioning because I actually need to use it and always had to install a third party app), and that's it. Not that much smoother than ICS really. I'd recommend wasting your time into finding what you're doing wrong in the installation process, it's really easy tbh, can't conceive what you're doing wrong.

Edited by kupp

Just to be clear I was addressing the point about

Indeed, whatever I've posted (or other users) is in my / their personal opinion... and to begin with the OP's question is "So, what do you think?"

Sorry - I didn't mean to cause offence or come across as (too) pedantic! :-)

Anyway - as it happens I'm hoping to revert to GB (most likely superslim) myself and hopefully this evening and run that for a while until my Haier W910 from DealsPrime finally arrives. So another virtual vote in favour of GB. :-)

Edited by dalyer

Just to be clear I was addressing the point about

Sorry - I didn't mean to cause offence or come across as (too) pedantic! :-)

Anyway - as it happens I'm hoping to revert to GB (most likely superslim) myself and hopefully this evening and run that for a while until my Haier W910 from DealsPrime finally arrives. So another virtual vote in favour of GB. :-)

No offense taken :) Hope @kupps post clears everything for the OP.

And good luck with your W910, that's a tough little phone but don't think it has too many custom ROMs out there. 

And good luck with your W910, that's a tough little phone but don't think it has too many custom ROMs out there.

I think there are a few (mentioned in the China phone or Xiaocai X9 threads) and I might have a look but chances are if the installed ICS works OK I'll stick with it. As I mentioned before my G300 is going to the gf since she broke yet another phone and when she inevitably breaks the G300 I'll give her the W910 and hope she doesn't see it as a challenge to break that too... :D At that stage I'll buy something else from the China phone thread.

The main problems I have with my Stock ICS are

- echo from my audio out -- no bigger problem with headphones but strange on external speakers

Disable DTS.

- thumbnail-file constantly eating all the free memory on my internal storage -- even without having more than a dozen of photos on the device

Use external storage.