Looking for Hudl root Beta testers

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

I am currently looking for a handful of Beta testers for my Hudl root.

Pre-requisites:

• The ability to laugh in the face of danger
  • Complete disregard for the wellbeing of their tablet
  • Nerves of steel
  • A Hudl running software version 20130923.020558
  • A Linux machine from which to perform the root
  • Basic knowledge of how to download a zip file, extract it, then run a script from the terminal
Is this you? Then reply below! :)

P

Guest glossywhite

I am currently looking for a handful of Beta testers for my Hudl root.

Pre-requisites:

• The ability to laugh in the face of danger
  • Complete disregard for the wellbeing of their tablet
  • Nerves of steel
  • A Hudl running software version 20130923.020558
  • A Linux machine from which to perform the root
  • Basic knowledge of how to download a zip file, extract it, then run a script from the terminal
Is this you? Then reply below! :)

P

Yep it's me. Go for it... spill the beans... :)

Thanks.

Hi

Sign me up! Comfortable with Linux..

Unsure of the build version, basically got the hudl home a couple of hours ago.. (first android device, however ive been jailbreaking iOS devices for about 5 years), havent updated the firmware to "version 1.2" to be safe, I decided to sniff the update procedure in wireshark (requests to device.mobile.tesco.com and d21u4yd4ydm3pd.cloudfront.net seem interesting) attempting to spoof the update procedure into exiting without finding an update on the server however its all TLS  encrypted :( Also tried exploring the filesystem with gMTP but its correctly sandboxed.. therefore i have a q

1) is it ok to download the initial update to the device, so i can actually use the bloody thing before rooting it? :)

Other than that let me know how/when you want me to test it

Cheers,

Ltf

Guest PaulOBrien

Check the build number in Settings -> About -> Hudl updates.

Yeah, go ahead and do the initial update - I tried to wireshark it and failed too! :(

P

Guest tautology

I joined the forum just to find out more details on rooting the Hudl :-)

In terms of intercepting the updates, the process appears to use certificate pinning to ensure it talks properly to the backend server (I decompiled and baksmali'd the appupdater package). Intercepting it using burp caused it to fail.

I was trying to root it through DNS poisoning, but the certificate checks failed me.

More than happy with using Linux and an old hand at getting Android to do stuff for me.

Guest BASS4V

Hey guys was poppin?

Very much interested in being a beta tester. I have most OS at my disposal and am very comfortable with rooting. I all ears if you want to include me as soon as. Tesco have really restricted the potential of this Archos designed tablet.

Guest glossywhite

Paul, do you use "git" to store patches, root tools etc? I'm currently researching it - seems the efficient, logical way to work.

Thanks.

Guest tautology

It worked perfectly and I've browsed to /data/data which normally indicates root or system through ES FIle Manager.

The only problem was getting the utility to work, due to driver problems on my Window box I ended up using a Linux VM on my work laptop which was 32 bit Fedora, meaning I had to download a compile a whole load of stuff to get it working.

I want to see whether I can mangle the Tesco apps, so a bit of decompiling may be in order!

I'd already noticed it had busybox, so I can now put sqlite3 and gdbserver and have a good cheap tablet for some Jelly Bean hackery!

Guest PaulOBrien

Paul, do you use "git" to store patches, root tools etc? I'm currently researching it - seems the efficient, logical way to work.

Thanks.

I use git via Bitbucket for lots of things.

Can someone please message me the method... Been waiting for a while

It's stickied in the Hudl forum now.

P

Guest BASS4V

Guys could I get some help, i keep getting met with no such command or directory when running the sudo script in terminal. I am running the latest ubuntu through virtual box on my mac