Stock Hudl ROM for RKTools [updated: latest available ROM 20131016.200812]

Guest PaulOBrien

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greybot

^^^^ Me too. However I'm back to bloatware and the [T] which I'm going o try and remove soon.

Would love a IMG of the stock with upgrade, no bloatware, no [T] and rooted if there is one.

Would love a IMG of the stock with upgrade, no bloatware, no [T] and rooted if there is one.

.......... if you read some of the other threads you'll find one  :wacko:

Guest flurry

.......... if you read some of the other threads you'll find one  :wacko:

Indeed, I believe sirius-c posted his in the 1.3.1 update thread?

Guest flurry

Found the thread :(

Please note: All These ROMS contain the [T] button and associated Bloat

aah, I do apologise, I thought it was debloated and with the [T] removed. I would upload mine, but my system partition has other modifications and personal data on it too.

If you're already rooted debloating and removing the [T] aren't hard to do

Don't really understand why people get hung up on "de-bloating" - just disable all the software you don't want and use something like xposed framework to mask other stuff like 'T' button?

That way OTA updates should still work and you don't go through the upgrade flashing route to get the latest bug fixes etc. For those who are desperate to de-bloat the true way via a custom ROM either start reading/learning via the vast array of knowledge on the subject on the various RK3188 forums or ask yourself the following :-

Q. Once I have used someone else's custom ROM am I able to cope when OTA updates are available that I want and what do I need that small amount of extra space in the system partition for, that was created when their list of "bloat" apps were removed?

Guest flurry

Don't really understand why people get hung up on "de-bloating" - just disable all the software you don't want and use something like xposed framework to mask other stuff like 'T' button?

That way OTA updates should still work and you don't go through the upgrade flashing route to get the latest bug fixes etc. For those who are desperate to de-bloat the true way via a custom ROM either start reading/learning via the vast array of knowledge on the subject on the various RK3188 forums or ask yourself the following :-

Q. Once I have used someone else's custom ROM am I able to cope when OTA updates are available that I want and what do I need that small amount of extra space in the system partition for, that was created when their list of "bloat" apps were removed?

I'd agree on just disabling the bloatware apps in most instances, though given the minimal number of ROMs available for the hudl I can see why users may want to debloat the stock rom themselves. On my own hudl I simply moved all the bloatware apks and odexs to a folder on my computer, along with the stock SystemUI.apk file - this way I can copy them back if an update fails due to them missing. However, given the relatively few updates we've received so far its not been a big issue to flash the OTA manually or revert to stock system apks to allow the update to go through (sure there was some learning involved, but I see that as a positive).

As for the extra room in the system partition, sure it's not quite as useful as free space in the user area, but it's not impossible to use it.

Yes agree with you. The only thing being people are in a rush get a custom ROM etc, but then start crying when 'stuff' happens. Some seem reluctant to want to learn.

Guest flurry

Yes agree with you. The only thing being people are in a rush get a custom ROM etc, but then start crying when 'stuff' happens. Some seem reluctant to want to learn.

Indeed, if you're going to tinker you've got to be prepared for it to go wrong!

Guest Tbestie

Hi guys, would like to say a big thanks to paul for all his work! I'm new to the hudl community but i've owned many android devices over the years. I rooted my HUDL on the first day using the Kingo app. However, i decided i needed CWM so i was going to install a ROM that contained it using the above method. The problem being, once i boot my Hudl into bootloader a message pops up saying device not recognised. So i open device manager and select to RK drivers manually, but it says they are up to date. However i still get no connected devices on the RKTools.exe. Any help/advice would be massively appreciated!

Im running windows 8.1 and all my USB ports are 3.0.

• 4 months later...
Guest Codmadnesspro

Yo, so i'm trying to flash it but i put the reset pin in the reset button while holding volume. Then I let go the hudl star apears and then goes to battray and starts to install drives. I'm then on the tools and no devices show up for some reason... Whats wrong? Thanks

• 3 months later...
Guest billnotben

Captain Midnight any chance of you or someone re-upping the stock rom Image (20140424.153851) again.

----------------------

OK just found a working dropbox mirror link on the sirius-c thread,

Edited by billnotben

Glad you found one already - there were about 3x different links posted for that version (mine, Paul's and sirius-c's).

Mine just had to make way for images for another forum as I was getting heavy dropbox traffic (email warnings) and at the time was running out of db space, but it can be re-upped to a website/web space instead. I'm sure Paul's is still around on the forum - as it's his site he won't be susceptible to max'd tranafer email warnings and temp suspension (not good believe me!).

The other bug bare is it seems impossible to get sticky/pinned posts so it makes finding things like these difficult as hidden thread posts.

(hudl.20140424.153851.stock.rktools.zip re-upped in original post)

Edited by Guest

• 5 months later...

Is this also for the HUDL2? Because there is no reset on the back of a HUDL2.

Purely original hudl ONLY - remember you are reading the original hudl forum, there is another hudl2 forum.

Applying some of the tweaks/mods in this forum could have bad consequences on a hudl2, although most of the windows/linux tools wouldn't work with a hudl2 as they're designed for RK3188 cpu devices i.e. original hudl. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stealth09

Hi CaptainMidnight, 

Thanks for your reply. I thought it was for the original just had to confirm. Is it possible to flash the original rom for the hudl2? I rooted my hudl2, then started to remove the tesco apps (such as, tesco groceries, tesco manager etc) and it crashed the system. I reset it to factory settings and now when I turn it on it forces me to update it. It then fails to install the update, now I am stuck in a loop. I don't know what to do. Please could you help me.

Thanks.

Guest stealth09

Purely original hudl ONLY - remember you are reading the original hudl forum, there is another hudl2 forum.

Applying some of the tweaks/mods in this forum could have bad consequences on a hudl2, although most of the windows/linux tools wouldn't work with a hudl2 as they're designed for RK3188 cpu devices i.e. original hudl. 

Hi CaptainMidnight, 

Thanks for your reply. I thought it was for the original just had to confirm. Is it possible to flash the original rom for the hudl2? I rooted my hudl2, then started to remove the tesco apps (such as, tesco groceries, tesco manager etc) and it crashed the system. I reset it to factory settings and now when I turn it on it forces me to update it. It then fails to install the update, now I am stuck in a loop. I don't know what to do. Please could you help me.

Thanks.

Guest stealth09

You need to read through a couple of the top posts on the hudl2 forum and you'll find all the info you need.

Ok so read through and did the following, factory reset, enabled adb through keyboard route, installed rooted rom that Paul O'Brien posted. But still the update fails.