Trial of ROMs for the Ascend P1

Guest glassblower

Guest glassblower

I thought I'd share my experience of trials of various Jelly Bean ROMs on my Ascend P1.

I've been running JB b315 EMUIv1.5 for some time now. It's a beta ROM but runs quite well on the P1 with JB v4.1.1. This is a european release which has recently been updated to b336 EMUIv1.5. There is an issue with GPS logs filling memory on both of these ROMs that can easily be fixed by altering settings in file gpsconfig.xml. Root required for this.

There have been numerous JB v4.1.1 ROM releases for the Chinese market, b704 and b705 being most recent. I've tried both and I'd steer clear of b705, at least in the UK. I had many issues with network signal instability on the 3 network. b704 doesn't seem to have this problem. Again, both these ROMs exhibit the GPS log issue.

I've also tried the PACman ROM which is based on Cyanogen JB 4.2.2. It's a nice ROM but a couple of apps (youtube in particular) was in a very, very small font. Unreadable for my 50yr old eyes. As was the settings menu. Seemingly no option to increase to a reasonable text size for my eyes.

Now onto the choice I think I'll be staying with. JellyBeer 4.33 CM10.1 JB v4.2.2. It runs without fault and best of all is the battery life which way out-performs any other ROM I've tried.

All the ROMs I've tried are on the following Spanish forum for use on CWM/TWRP with google translate to help if you don't do Spanish...  Thank you to all the developers for their hard work.    http://www.htcmania.com/forumdisplay.php?f=889

TTFN

Neil

Guest Brianrh

Thanks for that Neil it was very interesting and informative. At the moment I am using Sporang's Cm10.2 (4.3) Beta for the P1. This is still beta and there are still a few things to be sorted including bluetooth but it is smooth and also has good battery life. 

I am going to try your favourite JellyBeer 4.33 CM10.1 JB 4.22 and see how that works for me.

Thanks.

Brian

Guest glassblower

Thanks for that Neil it was very interesting and informative. At the moment I am using Sporang's Cm10.2 (4.3) Beta for the P1. This is still beta and there are still a few things to be sorted including bluetooth but it is smooth and also has good battery life. 

I am going to try your favourite JellyBeer 4.33 CM10.1 JB 4.22 and see how that works for me.

Thanks.

Brian

Thanks for that, Brian. I would be running CM10.2 but unfortunately can't because I need working bluetooth for the handsfree in my car.

Have fun with JellyBeer. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thanks for the large font in your post :D

TTFN

Neil

Edited by glassblower

Guest Brianrh

Sorry about the large font, it wasn't done because of your poor "50 year old eyes" but I had a problem when I tried to copy and paste and messed up the format. These 59 year old eyes of mine find some text on smartphones difficult to read even with bi-focals. At times I have to remove my glasses to read it.

I'm hoping to try the Jellybeer a little later, I'll let you know what I think.

Brian

Guest Brianrh

I installed the Jellybeer rom but when I ran it I got an error message "Android Keyboard (AOSP) has stopped". I had carried out a factory reset and a cache wipe so it shouldn't be due to this. I Googled the error message and found several suggestions to wipe the AOSP keyboard app data and wipe cache again but doing this makes no difference.

Has anyone else had this problem with the phone/rom? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Brian

Update

I remembered that I had forgotten to wipe the Dalvik cache so repeating the above but doing this at the recovery wiping stage made the difference. I have JellyBeer up and running but I have to install my apps and tweak the settings to my liking. So far it looks good and if I can use Bluetooth it will be an added bonus. 

Edited by Brianrh

• 2 weeks later...
Guest antinbolton

I mean if LTE is only difference then should defiantly work

Yeah will compare spec and see what difference is just don't wanna screw my phone up lol

Guest antinbolton

P1 ROMs should work on LTE version unless specs differ from original P1

Specs are the same but apparantely the radio firmware is different not really sure what that means but I'm assuming I shouldnt try flashing a p1 rom?

Guest hadyhosny

Dear All,

I have been using the Jelly beer since sometime, fast and battery life is good, but I an encountering a strange problem.....

Whenever I reboot the phone, there is a 50% chance that all widgets on my screens disappear!!!

I am using Apex launcher as the built-in launcher does not allow widget resizing...... Any help??

Hady

• 2 months later...

This is the message I get everytime I try to get on Yahoo mail on my windows phone 
update your password for winmo.map.mail.yahoo.com.993.1 and tap and Save.

Guest Pain_Deluxe

I am using latest CN Rom B708. Finally there fix the problem on youtube and video playback.

Now you can seek forward an backwards.

Battery Life is much better then on b336.

Gapps and root is a must have to get rid of that chinese apps.