Glitching in graphics on video playback

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Here's something I have noticed a lot; a sharp, thin black line will appear (graphics glitch) at random places on the LCD when playing video of any kind, when in landscape orientation. It is especially noticable if you full-screen a YouTube video and then quickly pause and resume it, multiple times.

I think this is a rendering or GPU issue - I am not fully in the know about the precise mechanisms and software techniques that render pixels on Android, but it is *very* noticeable.

Finally, if you look carefully when the screen is dimmed (I used "screen filter" app) you will notice banding where every other row of pixels is slightly dimmer than the other row before it. Even staring at an app icon on normal brightness, a visible amount of shimmer or rippling is noticeable. It's not enough to warrant me complaining - not for such an amazing device, but it is very obvious that these glitches need some fixing, hopefully with firmware updates.

Thanks.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Tigerlight

Here's something I have noticed a lot; a sharp, thin black line will appear (graphics glitch) at random places on the LCD, when in landscape orientation. It is especially noticable if you full-screen a YouTube video and then quickly pause and resume it, multiple times.

I think this is a rendering or GPU issue - I am not fully in the know about the precise mechanisms and software techniques that render pixels on Android, but it is *very* noticeable.

Finally, if you look carefully when the screen is dimmed (I used "screen filter" app) you will notice banding where every other row of pixels is slightly dimmer than the other row before it. Even staring at an app icon on normal brightness, a visible amount of shimmer or rippling is noticeable. It's not enough to warrant me complaining - not for such an amazing device, but it is very obvious that these glitches need some fixing, hopefully with firmware updates.

Thanks.

I simply do not see these artefacts at all. No complaints about the screen except for a tiny bit of backlight bleed in one of the corners.

I haven't been able to duplicate your problems as described.

It's possible you have a defective panel.

Guest glossywhite

I simply do not see these artefacts at all. No complaints about the screen except for a tiny bit of backlight bleed in one of the corners.

I haven't been able to duplicate your problems as described.

It's possible you have a defective panel.

I think I can safely say the panel is fine. GPU glitches are nothing to do with LCD panels - they are caused by firmware, GPU and code - maybe your eyes are not as clear as mine, and you don't notice things I do... I have **VERY** clear vision and notice minor flaws very fast.

I should add (and I have updated the OP to reflect this) that this only seems to happen in video playback.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Justice™

I've noticed the issues of the black lines, but when pausing and unpausing a YouTube video, I'm not sure if this happened before rooting but I've only just noticed it after rooting.

Guest glossywhite

I've noticed the issues of the black lines, but when pausing and unpausing a YouTube video, I'm not sure if this happened before rooting but I've only just noticed it after rooting.

There can be no logical relationship between the device being rooted and the discovered glitches. I am glad to have the backup though, and not have people telling me it's my LCD panel which is faulty - clearly it is not.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Justice™

There can be no logical relationship between the device being rooted and the discovered glitches. I am glad to have the backup though, and not have people telling me it's my LCD panel which is faulty - clearly it is not.

Yeah, I couldn't see a relationship either. It was just the point I noticed it after rooting. I've just restarted my Hudl and haven't noticed it since. I'll keep an eye out though.

• 1 month later...

My friend had blue lines over the videos he was trying to play on a hudl. We just installed MXPlayer and told it to use software decoding rather than hardware decoding, all displayed fine then :)

Maybe there is an option in the youtube app to force software decoding?