Move Apps to SD?

Guest greyrider

Guest greyrider

OK, now anyone able to tell me how to get something working which will allow moving/installing apps to the SD storage?

Much appreciated and thanks in advance for any help, John.

Guest gwladys

Good question. I don't see any Settings options to move apks between internal and external storage like there are on my phone. Apps I've written with android:installLocation="preferExternal" option appear to go to internal storage. Possible bug I wonder?

Guest greyrider

Further to this, I've found the "pm" commands to run in Terminal Emulator as;

"pm set-install-location 2" - without the quote marks

But....it then gets a "killed" message.

The options are [auto] - let the system decide

[0] system storage - something like that, I'm Hudlless at the moment

and

[1] emulated SD - which is what we have

[2] external SD - which is what we want

Anyone with a clue where to go to force the switch to location 2?

Guest greyrider

Think I've got it, anyone able to try?

"su"

"pm set-install-location 2"

Any installed apps won't move, but any newly run in ones should go direct to the physical, external, SD card

Edit: Nope, doesn't work. You can change the move location in App2SD as /mnt/sdcard and "pm get...." shows the external as chosen storage, but it doesn't work. Poo.

Nothing to see here, move along please.

Edited by greyrider

Guest kurtisuk

As greyrider stated the Huld is running the external SD as emulated the same as my Galaxy S4, the only app that will allow you to store apps on the external sd is called an app called FolderMount (which is a paid app, and also requires root). The app works well and is allows you to select the apps you want to save onto SD from a list.

Guest kurtisuk

There's a free version as well. Um...any hints on how to use it? Must have my stupid head on today

Open FolderMount and then tap on 'List of pairs' in the top left and then 'Apps analyzer' then tap on the app you want to move, and then tap on 'Create pair' then press yes to the popup box and then the tick. You app should now be moving on to the SD card which would take take depending on the size of the app

• 2 months later...
Guest Andy Gee-Cee

Open FolderMount and then tap on 'List of pairs' in the top left and then 'Apps analyzer' then tap on the app you want to move, and then tap on 'Create pair' then press yes to the popup box and then the tick. You app should now be moving on to the SD card which would take take depending on the size of the app

I (well my wife actually) bought a Hudl for each of our sons. I've rooted one and installed superuser. Granted permission etc. I've also installed FolderMount granted it permission ect but when trying to "list pairs" and " create pairs" nothing is created.

Would this be down to me moving files from the device to the SD card with the Hudl connected via USB to my computer?

( I've bought new 32gb SanDisk SD cards that are premium speed for using with tablets etc)

Edited by Andy Gee-Cee