Make a backup in recovery?

Guest TescoHudl

Guest TescoHudl

Hi,

When i had my rooted Nexus 7, i used Clockworkmod and TWRP recoveries to make backups of the ROM. It very worthwhile doing these backups because ended up 'bricking' the device several times. With the recovery backups i was able to return to the original 'unbricked' state, no problem. On a couple of occasions i forgot to make a backup and bricked the device, meaning i had to flash the ROM back via ADB, which i was not confident in doing at all. (I don't like anything with Command prompt and Terminal).

I really want to start messing around with the new root access on my Hudl, but i'm scared i'll make a mistake again and ruin my device... :(

Using Quickboot, i booted into recovery to see what it looked like as stock, but i freaked out when the Hudl's screen went blank and i couldn't power on again. After calming myself down a bit i was able to get it back on, straight into the default recovery system. I decided to immediately get back into Android, so as a result i don't know whether it is possible to make ROM backups on the Hudl's original recovery?

Paul has stated in another thread that ROM Manager cannot be used to install Clockworkmod recovery on the Hudl, so i am wondering are there any other ones which might work?

Cheers :)

Guest glossywhite

You must not have seen my thread detailing a backup script for hudl for Gnu/Linux, which has been published for nearly a week:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/365672-hudl-backup-script-for-gnulinux-64-bit-gnulinux-os-needed-to-run/

You need to understand that this script only backs up the partitions to images, and does not restore them. The "rkflashtool" syntax has the simplest syntax ever, so you can easily deduce how to reverse direction and flash images back into the device. I'll get round to making a restore script too, but I can assure you that it's not "hard" by any means.

Guest glossywhite

As for a custom recovery, Paul has one running on the Hudl (CWM based), he's still just figuring out the best way to install ite.

EDIT: http://www.modaco.com/topic/365573-coming-soon-clockworkmod-recovery/

Indeed.

Since that is still "coming soon", and mine has already arrived, if anyone would like a command line way of doing exactly the same thing, please feel free to try, improve and give feedback for my script. It's up, it's working and it backs partitions up, whereas a solution that has not yet been published, cannot (yet, obviously).

Edited by glossywhite