ZTE Blade V JellyBean kernel(3.4.x) source code

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

Konstat will you be looking to port Cyanogen to this by any chance?

No, porting CyanogenMod is not something that I, or anyone else, can do without actually having the device.

I did compile this kernel source though. Being a ZTE source, it doesn't even compile as is of course. :P I can upload the kernel if someone wants to test it.

Guest bladebuddy

No, porting CyanogenMod is not something that I, or anyone else, can do without actually having the device.

I did compile this kernel source though. Being a ZTE source, it doesn't even compile as is of course. :P I can upload the kernel if someone wants to test it.

I will give it a try if you like. What benefits will I get if it does flash ?

Regards Jason.

Guest bladebuddy

Overclocking? If KonstaT has enabled it?

I don't personally think the phone needs a over clocking kernel. Undevolting and core stability maybe. Similar to what's happening with the nexus 4. There's nothing this phone hasn't run smoothly without the need of reduction in battery life. Will flash it still out of curiosity, and to throw in a good antutu score though and to see if it works. I also think it might be a good idea to all owners of the blade v to though a few quid Konstas way so he can get a blade v. Probably the best dev on modaco and certainly a Dev we need onboard to help get this phone more popular as I personally think its a bargain and has the potential of being the next big thing like the original blade.

Guest KonstaT

I will give it a try if you like. What benefits will I get if it does flash ?

None, besides being open source. Actually the whole point of it is that it should be exactly like the stock kernel (or otherwise ZTE didn't release GPL compliant source code).

Here's a CWM flashable zip of the kernel built (clean ZTE source, no modifications, stock defconfig). Don't forget make a nandroid backup in CWM before installing of course. Test that all the hardware (wifi, camera, sensors, etc) is working and verify that you are really running the new kernel by doing
cat /proc/version

in terminal/shell or get the kernel info by using some system info/benchmark app.

https://hotfile.com/dl/252618674/1f4a05c/bladev-kernel.zip.html

I also think it might be a good idea to all owners of the blade v to though a few quid Konstas way so he can get a blade v. Probably the best dev on modaco and certainly a Dev we need onboard to help get this phone more popular as I personally think its a bargain and has the potential of being the next big thing like the original blade.

Yeah, I've said that MSM8x25Q should be decent platform for entry level devices and something that I'm already somewhat familiar with. There's always some problems with donated hardware though. It's always possible that I can't deliver what ever it is that you're asking. Blade V is not available in my country so I couldn't get my hands on one even if you donated me money.

I'm also still waiting Google's official KitKat announcement, AOSP source release and some indications from Qualcomm what it means hardware wise. MSM7x27A/MSM8x25/MSM8x25Q (single-, dual-, quad-core variants of basically the same platform) already skipped Jelly Bean 4.2 and 4.3 (or EOL'd on 4.1 is the current interpretation). I'd consider it extremely strange if Qualcomm would have introduced a new platform that was practically dead on birth. I'm counting on all Snapdragon 200 platforms (MSM8x25Q included) getting KitKat support from Qualcomm and this would also be positive for development on the older variants. It's of course also possible that this won't happen and purchasing any MSM8x25Q device wouldn't make much sense after that.

This is going to take at least month or two, so I'm not going to make any decissions about buying myself a new dev toy until sometime around new year anyway. It also depends if Google Play starts selling devices in my country like rumored. Then it wouldn't make much sense to buy anything other than a Nexus 5 (and retire from ROM development ;)). I'm also eyeing out on one specific mid-range device that should be fun for open source development and should be available sometime around Christmas. We'll see, I might buy some ~100€ device as a toy nevertheless. :P

Konstat, you should think about getting a Xiaomi Hongmi, xiaomi is open sourcing their kernels, they released the kernel for the Mi2 today which uses the Qualcomm APQ8064 Snapdragon: http://www.gizchina.com/2013/10/28/xiaomi-mi2-kernel-sources-released-github/

They are going to be releasing the kernel sourcecode for the WCDMA version of xiaomi hongmi (unreleased phone) which using the Mediatek MT6589T 1.5ghz quad a7, 4.7" 720p screen, 1gb ram, 4gb rom. This will be the first kernel released for a mediatek chip as far as i'm aware. The price will probably be £90-115 delivered to uk, tasty phone by a big brand.

Edited by Guest

Guest KonstaT

Konstat, you should think about getting a Xiaomi Hongmi, xiaomi is open sourcing their kernels, they released the kernel for the Mi2 today which uses the Qualcomm APQ8064 Snapdragon: http://www.gizchina.com/2013/10/28/xiaomi-mi2-kernel-sources-released-github/

They are going to be releasing the kernel sourcecode for the WCDMA version of xiaomi hongmi (unreleased phone) which using the Mediatek MT6589T 1.5ghz quad a7, 4.7" 720p screen, 1gb ram, 4gb rom. This will be the first kernel released for a mediatek chip as far as i'm aware. The price will probably be £90-115 delivered to uk, tasty phone by a big brand.

No, anything from Xiaomi is out of the question. They've been blatantly breaking GPL for years and releasing kernel source for one device just isn't enough (it's their legal obligation, there's nothing noble/newsworthy in releasing it). They've also built a multi-million business on building off of CyanogenMod code without ever giving anything back. They're basically against everything that open source means to me personally. Their devices won't be available in the west anyway (they're hardly available in China) so there's no point in even speculating with any of this.

There's been dozens of kernel sources available for MediaTek devices. It has nothing to do with reference platform source code that is necessary to build AOSP based ROMs (and remains unavailable to public).

it isn't one device, they have announced the 6 devices that will be getting open source kernels: http://www.gizchina.com/2013/09/27/xiaomi-open-source-device-kernel/.

Their phones will be going on sale in the west in 2014 although you can buy their phones from chinese websites and get them imported for the time being. Xiaomi is going to be the new zte/huewei in western markets. Jaiyu is also releasing a low cost phone with similar specs too and they will also be releasing the kernel source if i remember correctly, their phone is 799 yuan, xiaomi's is 699 yuan.

Edited by Guest

Guest KonstaT

it isn't one device, they have announced the 6 devices that will be getting open source kernels: http://www.gizchina.com/2013/09/27/xiaomi-open-source-device-kernel/.

Their phones will be going on sale in the west in 2014 although you can buy their phones from chinese websites and get them imported for the time being. Xiaomi is going to be the new zte/huewei in western markets. Jaiyu is also releasing a low cost phone with similar specs too and they will also be releasing the kernel source if i remember correctly, their phone is 799 yuan, xiaomi's is 699 yuan.

And how about the 600 devices they've released MIUI ROMs for? They're all violating GPL agreement.

Saying that something is going to be 'the new zte/huawei' doesn't have all positive undertone. ;)

• 2 months later...

I try to port CM 10.1 to Blade V if KonstanT can help for me! I think the best solution port from ZTE Blade G or Huawei Y300 Cyanogen Rom to Blade V!  But Blade G have MSM 8225 SoC!

Edited by djfnz

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT

Happy to help out with porting CM 10 to this device, what needs to be done?

Everything. Start with this porting guide to build CyanogenMod from source.

KonstaT help us!!!!

And how I'm supposed to do that. I don't have the device.

If there's device/kernel trees somewhere available, I can have a look. I'm sure as hell not going to help with any winzip ports.

• 2 months later...
Guest pallys

Hi, I just bought this ZTE Blade V - new for 50 euros from ebay so it's coming down in price.  It is fantastic value for money (I had a Moto G but went in the sea with it...) so much so that we now have 2 of them in the family.

Konsta, is there enough source code out there now for newer android releases to be running on zte blade v?

The reason I ask is, I think there's enough members here to crowd source fund a zte blade v and I can get it sent to you at no cost.

Obviously we understand there are no promises etc on what you could deliver, but is the idea even a starter - what do you think?

Edited by pallys

Guest KonstaT

Konsta, is there enough source code out there now for newer android releases to be running on zte blade v?

The reason I ask is, I think there's enough members here to crowd source fund a zte blade v and I can get it sent to you at no cost.

Obviously we understand there are no promises etc on what you could deliver, but is the idea even a starter - what do you think?

Yes, kernel source is out so there should be no problem.

Thanks for offering but no thanks. :) I've never accepted donated devices because it's always possible I can deliver what you're asking. People already tend to act like I owe them something as it is. ;)

I just received another crappy ZTE device but at least it has a modern platform (msm8210). msm7x27a (and the dual/quad-core variants msm8x25/msm8x25q) is EOL'ed for a reason. Everything beyond Jelly Bean 4.1 is hacked together anyway so I don't see much point in doing it again on another device or pushing the platform any further.

• 1 year later...