Upgrade or not

Guest paultr2

Guest paultr2

I have the 20130923.020558 build and have not implemented the latest update. As soon as there is an easy (for idiots like me) walkthough I want to root my tablet and get rid of the [T] and the Tesco bloatware.

I would like the improved wifi that the new update is supposed to offer but am worried if I update I will then not be able to root and get rid of the Tesco stuff.

So, if I update now am I stuck with the [T] ?

(I have posted this on another thread but it got 'lost')

TIA

Well it all depends on what your priority / timescale is? :unsure:

If you haven't rooted yet - if you do install the OTA update which will move you on to v1.3 (20131016.200812) then you will gain improved wifi signal strength and some other bug fixes, which could be important. After quite a bit of researching, my opinion has changed with regard to 'Kingoapp' 1-click rooting solution. This will enable you to gain root access to your hudl and is probably the easiest way to obtain it with virtually no work on your part (relatively speaking) ;)

With regards to all the Tesco stuff - this can easily be 'disabled' via the 'All' tab in the apps section in settings on the hudl - even without root - they are just normal apps.

The [T] button (as far as I have experienced) just launches the TLauncher.app so therefore with that app disabled it doesn't do ANYTHING - it just sits on the lower left in the soft buttons area of the screen. If you still don't like it visible, you have two options: -

1. Install and use 'full!screen' app - which can hide all soft buttons into the corners and gives more configurations (have a look in the Play store).
  2. You can wait until someone(personally I'm looking but it's not a high priority) have examined the SystemUI.apk to determine what others before us did to remove(hide) the [T] soft button from the display and then implement that in the v1.3 version of said file. Once this has been done, it's generally quite simple to then transfer this to the hudl and replace the stock v1.3 file. :ninja:

Hope that helps, maybe have a look at the things suggested and see what you think you'd prefer.

Guest paultr2

Thanks CM for your comprehensive reply :)

I have disabled the Tesco apps but would still like to get rid of the [T] at some point (a bit anal about things like this)

Do you think that when someone makes a 'clean' v1.3 file it will be possible to move to that from an updated tablet (not just this update but also ones in the future) ?

Edit: have you updated your Hudl ?

Edited by paultr2

Yes I have updated both units that I look after. I did so as soon as the updates became available, one of the tablets had already been rooted via Paul's method (which is pinned in the thread list) so wouldn't automatically update - this just meant it had to be returned to a stock build before it would automatically update. I could have used other workarounds detailed in the relevant threads, but decided to take the easy option instead.

Updating SystemUI.apk to remove the [T] button I don't think will be a massive undertaking, just time consuming inially i.e. figuring out what was changed. If this file is updated via 'future' OTA updates then it may well need to be done etc every time the file is updated/replaced.

Before agreeing to OTA updates or major changes I always create device backups via 'rkflashtool' and 'titanium backup pro' so that I can always reverse anything I've done. As long as you have good backups you can generally recover from most situations - each to their own of course.

It's quite easy really, but involves booting into a Linux system to use the tool 'rkflashtool' as the only working versions I know about at the moment are for Linux.

As this is off topic, there is already a thread by glossywhite about backup/restore scripts. He originally posted a backup script - but the configuration offsets were incorrect and he has since pulled the scripts/detail.

I adjusted the scripts and PM'd them back to him, unfortunately for whatever reason he hasn't updated that thread yet. So when I return tomorrow afternoon I'll update that thread with all the detail required, including both backup and restore scripts. They are fully working and enabled me to carryout a lot of upgrade testing.

I'll also explain in detail where and what the content of the scripts do ;-) or until then have a search for info about the tool.

(Sent via mobile)

Guest greyrider

If you unpack, charge it and then complete the set up, (WiFi that is) you won't have a choice, it'll baulk and tell you there's an upgrade and won't let you fail to install it. I'd go for the upgrade first anyway, it has to make things much simpler. Get it running right and then root.

If you unpack, charge it and then complete the set up, (WiFi that is) you won't have a choice, it'll baulk and tell you there's an upgrade and won't let you fail to install it. I'd go for the upgrade first anyway, it has to make things much simpler. Get it running right and then root.

Thanks.

I was not sure if I will be able to root V1.3, but as you said I will.

That was my worry.

So I'll update and then root.