dvd download

Guest neilm40

Guest neilm40

Hi all

Does anyone have a foolproof way of ripping/downloading a dvd to the Hudl....I have tried freemake and winxd converters with real player and wondershare viewers but im having no look at all. Basically i want to install a DVD film (which i own) to watch on the Hudl when i have no wift...travelling for example.

Many thanks

Neil

Guest greyrider

Unnhhh.....uh, half to less than an hour? Dunno, I set it running and bu...er off usually.

BTW, I use VLC for Android (beta) as a video player, seems to run pretty much everything.

Edited by greyrider

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi OP,

I too would recomend FreeMake, ever since I came across that utility, i find it simply amazing due to all the formats and settings it supports. You should be able to convert into any format, MP4, MKV, AVI (or even pick an Android settings) and the Hudl should play it fine.

If you only want to play it on the Hudl, and not share out... Then I suggest MoboPlayer (will send link later, currently watching JAWS lol).

But its the one with the 3D Gallery option, very good player, hasnt refused a video yet... ;) lol

Cheers, Lister

Note that Freemake cannot by itself rip commercial DVDs. Personally, I generally use MakeMKV to rip DVDs, and then convert the resultant MKV files with Freemake if I want to get better file sizes etc. Often I leave them as MKVs to save time.

There are solutions out there for decrypting commercial DVDs "on-the-fly" so that Freemake can rip them directly, but the only one I have ever gotten to work reliably was DVD43, which is discontinued and only works on 32-bit systems (I have 64-bit Windows 7). I tried an alternative called DVDFab Passkey (Lite), but it never seemed to work properly when I tried it. I decided to just rip using MakeMKV instead.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Yeah, pretty much what SifJar said really... I've used MakeMKV in the past, but not used it that well to be honest...

For the decrypting, I still use "DVD Decrypter" even now... on the most hand, it'll work... However some discs it does not like and can't get around that. That you'll just have to live with, or look for one of the ones SifJar mentioned. However as DVD Decrypter got shut down (thanks to Sony... Boo-hoo....) you'll have to get it off a 3rd party site to be on the safe side. I always got for MrBurn.org or summit like that...

Cheers, Lister

Note that Freemake cannot by itself rip commercial DVDs. Personally, I generally use MakeMKV to rip DVDs, and then convert the resultant MKV files with Freemake if I want to get better file sizes etc. Often I leave them as MKVs to save time.

There are solutions out there for decrypting commercial DVDs "on-the-fly" so that Freemake can rip them directly, but the only one I have ever gotten to work reliably was DVD43, which is discontinued and only works on 32-bit systems (I have 64-bit Windows 7). I tried an alternative called DVDFab Passkey (Lite), but it never seemed to work properly when I tried it. I decided to just rip using MakeMKV instead.

Guest neilm40

hi again

I have managed convert a DVD with freemake however it took over 2 hours to complete, Im doing what GREYRIDER suggested (i think)...Convert to AVI, one pass encoding, HD 720p and audio to MP3...any ideas where i might be going wrong

Neil

Guest greyrider

Not a thing, my fault, sorry, I was thinking about converting to avi AFTER ripping. Doh! I use avi because they work on my PC, DVD player and tablets. You might do better to convert to MP4 as it's a smaller container. Guessing from start to completion you time's about right _ I've a pretty fast PC though so times will vary a lot. I do run SlyFox to beat encrytion and DVDFB to rip. Apologies again.

Guest CashMoney

I too would recommend MakeMKV. Handbrake is probably worth a look as well, although I don't recall offhand if it will convert directly from a DVD. If you're looking for something to decrypt the DVD's so they can be read/converted by the system then I'd go with AnyDVD by Slysoft.

Also note that converting a DVD to a different format will take different times depending on the CPU speed of the machine doing the conversion and/or the threading capability of the program you are using. An older machine will take longer than a newer machine basically.

HTH

Handbrake can't (by itself) handle encrypted DVDs. I have seen guides which claim placing a particular DLL file (libdvdcss.dll I think it's called) in some folder within Handbrake's installation will make it capable of decrypting DVDs, but I was never successful in attempting that (I believe there may have been an issue with 32bit/64bit, I tried a bunch of different versions of the DLL I found online and could never make it work though). You can also use tools like the ones I mentioned above (e.g. DVD43, DVDFab Passkey etc.), albeit with the same caveats I mentioned above (DVD43 32-bit only, DVDFab Passkey not working properly for me).

As a side note, I should probably say I never tried particularly hard with either DVDFab or libdvdcss.dll, seeing as I was happy enough with my existing solutions (MakeMKV, DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink to rip [used each for a period of time, MakeMKV is my current go-to tool], Freemake to convert) so didn't bother "wasting" loads of time trying to get something else working.