Hudl thoughts

Guest virgopunk

Guest virgopunk

Hi all,

I've just joined MoDaCo since it seems the only place there's a proper Hudl discussion forum. I'm a regular XDA reader and having been flashing custom roms on my Galaxy Note for over a year.

I picked my new Hudl up yesterday and rooted it via Kingo with no problems.

What I'm wondering at the moment is:

1. Is it possible to get CWM working on this tab?

2. Anyone have any thoughts on whether its possible to colour calibrate the screen (one of the very few quibbles I have with the tab so far)

3. Does anyone know if it's possible to add a menu softkey (my other quibble)

4. Anyone have any opinions on custom ROMs for the Hudl. I'm no dev but it'd be great to have a custom CM mod for this tab. I use the CM Asylum rom on my note (may move over to the new Omni rom though) and something like that would be brilliant

Anywho, it's good to have found this forum and I hope we get more people interested in bending the Hudl to our will  ;)

Guest Lister Of Smeg

1) CWM is available both in pre-built rom and as a flashable

2) Dont know about this, not had a need too, not looked into it yet as at work.

3) Yes, this can be done via a Custom Rom (when one exists, such as Pac) or via Xposed module no doubt, will need to check which one.

4) Now the Kernel has been out, it should mean Custom roms can happen. Not sure if we have anyone who can. Watch this space.

Sorry for brief answers, at work, will update when home.

Edited by Lister Of Smeg

3. Gravity box for xpossed framework does this. (Quick and easy way)

4. I started to look at CM for the hudl (I roll my own flavour for my S2,i9100) but have not had time to get very far ATM.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

3. Gravity box for xpossed framework does this. (Quick and easy way)

4. I started to look at CM for the hudl (I roll my own flavour for my S2,i9100) but have not had time to get very far ATM.

CM would be fantastic to be hones, I trust you've spotted the thread with the source released?

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest virgopunk

Me again. I have a small problem. Having rebooted into recovery I accidentally switch to adb sideload mode and now I can't get out of it. I've tried holding down the power button for 30 sec and combinations of power and vol but nothing seems to work. Do any of you more knowledgeable people have an idea of how I might get back to rebooting?

If I have to sideload something in order for the Hudle to reboot do you think its possible to sideload a Gravity box zip?

Would an alternative be to let the battery run down and power up from USB?

Bit desperate so any help gratefully received and I promise not to press things until I know exactly what they do  :unsure:

Forget everything I just said. I was button mashing and, don't ask me how, the damn thing just rebooted!

Don't you hate those moments when you think you've just bricked your (brand new device). I'm going for a little lie down now!

Edited by virgopunk

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi VirgoPunk,

If that happens again, just stick a pin in the back where the reset switch is... Its a lot simple, safer and quickier!! :D

Cheers, Lister

Guest virgopunk

Ha-ha. I looked at that and wondered if it was a hard reszet button but decided it was the microphone and I shouldn't stick a sharp object in it  :blink:

I'm now fiddling try to get GravityBox working with the xposed framework (which isn't proving to be quite as straight forward since the gravity box module won't load). Time to uninstall and retry.

Guest djpatterson

OK. Final question for tonight. How do I go about getting custom recovery features (CWM or TWRP) added to the Hudl? Is the CWM MK802 ok to use?

There's a thread on here discussing and providing cwm to install

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi VigroPunk,

Yeah I first wondered what was mic and what was reset... When I saw the one of the back (I thought it had to be Reset, daft place to have a Mic) and so the other one (cant think where it is at the moment, as the Hudl's are not mine / mum + brothers) the other slot is on the side, so that has to be the Mic...

With regards to Gravity, once you have updated the Xposed Framework (setting with inside the App, top button from memory... again dont have any Androids with me at mo to test). Once you have updated that, and have installed Gravity... Reboot your Android device before trying to run Gravity... I had the same problem too... Annoyed the hell out of me.... As I you Blast Tools, same thing as Gravity and that just works....

With regards to CWM, as the above user said... Check the forums, as the correct version is in there... The one you mentioned is the one for Android TV Sticks (as I have one of those too, they are cool... but not as powerful as eBay ad made them to sound... I bought 3x of them for the family... lol). So yeah, make sure you get the right one for the Hudl, which can either be flashed as a ROM or added additionally...

Cheers, Lister