Does anyone know the charging voltage?

Guest TescoHudl

Guest TescoHudl

​I'm a bit disappointed that the Moto G doesn't come with a wall charger. I want to use my Tesco Hudl 7" tablet charger to top up the juice a bit, but i don't know whether it is safe to do so. It says on the plug that the output is 5.0V - 2.0A. It will take ages if i charge it using the USB port on my laptop, and i don't really want to buy one of those dodgy chargers off Ebay or Amazon.

Does anyone know the recommended voltage for charging the Moto G? 

Cheers! :)

Guest WillDroid

That's fine. The current rating on power supplies is simply the maximum it can possibly supply, it's the voltage that's important as long as the current is over 500mA. The phone will only draw as much current as it needs at 5V - the voltage USB operates at.

Basically, it needs to say 5V and anything more than 500mA.

Hope that helps,

Bill

Guest TescoHudl

That's fine. The current rating on power supplies is simply the maximum it can possibly supply, it's the voltage that's important as long as the current is over 500mA. The phone will only draw as much current as it needs at 5V - the voltage USB operates at.

Basically, it needs to say 5V and anything more than 500mA.

Hope that helps,

Bill

Ah, i see. I thought that if the supply current was 2.0A, but the phone was only designed to take 1.0A, it would blow up or something!

I plugged the Moto G in with the Hudl charger and all is fine. It's not overheating or anything. I didn't realise that the device only took as much current as it needed, originally i was under the impression that the charger had to be the exact amount.

Thank you for the information, it will come in handy in the future because i always worry about swapping my chargers over. Usually i buy another charger off the internet especially for the device i am using.

Cheers! :)

Guest WillDroid

No problem!  :)

Worth noting that while 500mA is sufficient, the device will charge very slowly. It will charge faster if the charger can supply more current - 1.5A is the most the Moto G will draw according to Motorola, so something around 1-1.5A is optimal, any higher is unnecessary.

Bill

Guest jordanclarke69

don't worry, you can put in any charger and it won't make a difference. no phone or tablet etc uses more than 2A to charge. but to clarify, it IS the Amperage that is important not the Voltage. The voltage is standard for any electronic product at 5V (except for things like cars, planes and submarines). 

you could damage a phone if it was only designed for 0.5A charge and you used a 2A charger, bu as the moto g is compatible with anything from 0.5-2A, you are safe!!

• 4 weeks later...

don't worry, you can put in any charger and it won't make a difference. no phone or tablet etc uses more than 2A to charge. but to clarify, it IS the Amperage that is important not the Voltage. The voltage is standard for any electronic product at 5V (except for things like cars, planes and submarines). 

you could damage a phone if it was only designed for 0.5A charge and you used a 2A charger, bu as the moto g is compatible with anything from 0.5-2A, you are safe!!

How do I politely point out this is utter rubbish. 5 V is not a standard.

Technically it shows no understanding of power supply operation and on the mundane level of every day observation it ignores all the wall warts with outputs of 3.25, 7.5, 9, 12, 15, and 18 volts that power various items I and others own.

The problem my Moto G has is that it requires a higher voltage than the nominal 5 volt level put out by some USB chargers, so I just use another charger.

Guest Simon O

How do I politely point out this is utter rubbish. 5 V is not a standard.

Technically it shows no understanding of power supply operation and on the mundane level of every day observation it ignores all the wall warts with outputs of 3.25, 7.5, 9, 12, 15, and 18 volts that power various items I and others own.

The problem my Moto G has is that it requires a higher voltage than the nominal 5 volt level put out by some USB chargers, so I just use another charger.

I think you completely misread his post..

I think you completely misread his post..

Of course I could have misunderstood his post, but I think "it IS the Amperage that is important not the Voltage." is quite clear and is wrong.

In a simplified view wall warts are voltage sources with a current limit and non-linear source resistance. D.C or A.C. is important too.

I want to avoid somebody connecting a 12V 2A transformer as a USB PSU or even believing it could be done.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest malmme

Does someone explain why in some case the moto g autoboot when plugged in a wall charge while it doesn't autoboot in other wall charge?

I. E.

Wall charger without autoboot
Samsung 0.7 A
LG 0.7 A
IPhone 1A

Wall charger with Autoboot:
Car charger
PC charger
Multiple socket with usb (1.5A)
All 5v.

Why?

Edited by malmme

Guest irishpancake

Of course I could have misunderstood his post, but I think "it IS the Amperage that is important not the Voltage." is quite clear and is wrong.

In a simplified view wall warts are voltage sources with a current limit and non-linear source resistance. D.C or A.C. is important too.

I want to avoid somebody connecting a 12V 2A transformer as a USB PSU or even believing it could be done.

So how do you think that could happen, the bolded bit above??

What kinda connector, with a mini USB on one end, would one use??

I process to not knowing, but am prepared to be educated and informed.

I believe 5V is pretty standard for microelectronic devices, and current regulation is built into the device, generally.

Any charger for mobile devices will be rated 5V.

That's why USB ports are rated 5V +/- 0.25V.

The current/amperage is the difference....

and the load [device resistance]....

something showing 5V+ when measured will not have that voltage when a load is connected.

I think what flibblesan said, you misread, perhaps not misunderstood, but maybe both.

Guest irishpancake

One of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-1500mA-1-5A-Mains-AC-DC-Switching-Adaptor-Power-Supply-Charger-Micro-B-USB-/141033109839?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item20d63a794f

Eek, why would they ever make one of these? Asking for trouble... spotted that when I was looking for a new charger a while back.

Why indeed......

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

The Micro-USB connector was announced by the USB-IF on 4 January 2007.[45] The Mini-A connector and the Mini-AB receptacle connector were deprecated on 23 May 2007.

While many currently available devices and cables still use Mini plugs, the newer Micro connectors are being widely adopted and as of December 2010, they are the most widely used.

The thinner micro connectors are intended to replace the Mini plugs in new devices including smartphones, personal digital assistants, and cameras.

Guest grabster

Just discovered today that the usb out on the motorola tk30 hands free kit installed in the lorry i drive will not charge my moto g.

It worked ok with my g300 and a samsung galaxy europa but with my moto g it merely gives me the debug connection option.

Any ideas why ?

The lorry is 24v but they all have voltage droppers built in.

I tried the different options ,media and camera but still no charging possible.

Gonna have to fish out my cigar lighter adaptor again but i dont trust them since i fried my brand new blade a while ago.

Edited by grabster

Just discovered today that the usb out on the motorola tk30 hands free kit installed in the lorry i drive will not charge my moto g.

It worked ok with my g300 and a samsung galaxy europa but with my moto g it merely gives me the debug connection option.

Any ideas why ?

The lorry is 24v but they all have voltage droppers built in.

I tried the different options ,media and camera but still no charging possible.

Gonna have to fish out my cigar lighter adaptor again but i dont trust them since i fried my brand new blade a while ago.

The only reason I see from the data you gave is that the current provided by your hands free kit is not enough to charge the Moto G. 

One example I can give you is this. If I connect my G300 to my laptop it charges fine while if I connect my Toshiba tablet it won't. It's a matter of the output current in the usb port of my laptop: its enough to charge the g300 but too low to charge the tablet.

Guest chrisuk1945

I note on the Motorola support site it quotes a charge current of 500 to 1500 mA.  Anyone recommend a charger that will do up to 1500mA?  Not a cheapo / Chinese / catchy fire one though.

Last night I was using the Moto G connected to a charger (Canon DSLR charger) and the device went dead after an hour or so.  I downloaded an app to my Nexus 7 which showed a slight discharge even though plugged in and a much bigger discharge not plugged it.  It seems that they take very approx. 200 to 400mA when in use so the charge does need to be above this.

This current measuring App does not work with Motorola products according to info on another Apps description.  I could not understand the eBay link above until I saw the 12V !

The Nexus 7 (2013) charger give a healthy 900mA with the Nexus switch on