Unable to install APKs on device?

Guest PaulOBrien

Well I have tried the various combinations to get APKs installed, apart from ADB which is still to be looked at. And still have the problem, and unfortunately that includes installing from the google drive. Anyone got any news from Motocare on this ?

It's a bit weird that some are having this problem, I got a 16GB Moto G yesterday, I have no problems istalling APK's.

Edited by goods

I've got a Tesco 16Gb, unlocked via the Motorola site with the stock ROM and can't install APKs from dropbox or from the SD Card using Astro (Parse Error) but can via adb.

I don't really want to hard reset, but may have to just to test it

I've got a Tesco 16Gb, unlocked via the Motorola site with the stock ROM and can't install APKs from dropbox or from the SD Card using Astro (Parse Error) but can via adb.

I don't really want to hard reset, but may have to just to test it

can you install catlog and take a logcat of the apps failing to install, i would love to take a look at what's going on.

Edit: you can also try wiping data for the Motorola apps individually from settings / apps

(swipe to the right until under the "all tab" select each motorola app and clear data & cache)

Guest TescoHudl

Same issue here on my Tesco mobile 16GB Moto G. The problem occurs on both the Tesco and stock ROM's. I'm using the second root method, with the modded recovery. Installing APK's from the command prompt in Windows works fine, using command 'adb install xxxx.apk'.

Guest Thumper Net

Wife has the same problem as well even with amazon appstore , this must be a bug. Hope motorola sort this out with the upcoming 4.4 kitkat upgrade

have you tried going to settings / apps swiping over to the "all tab" 
and go threw all the motorola apps disabling them and wiping data & cache for them, then reboot?

post-913969-0-43549400-1386289596_thumb.

Guest gameeater

I have the sabe problem and the solution is you need do a factory reset and dont auto restore the google acount. Be happy. Kkkkkk

Edited by gameeater

just received mine, and i also have the same problem no matter how many times i factory reset,

also i don't have those two options to untick like someone else mentioned.

going to unlock the bootloader and make a custom version of the stock rom to try and get around this 

Guest rickywyatt

I found out that moving the apk's to data thay install fine by the looks of it the sdcard dose not set the right permissions eg rw-rw-r

Edited by rickywyatt

think i have got this problem sorted now... i made a deodexed version of the stock rom

flashed it and the problem is now gone, and i can install apps from file managers etc   :)

post-913969-0-72297600-1386704747_thumb. post-913969-0-20477700-1386704752_thumb. post-913969-0-75430200-1386704755_thumb. post-913969-0-40447800-1386705824_thumb. post-913969-0-17953400-1386705827_thumb.

will upload the repacked stock rom soon 

think i have got this problem sorted now... i made a deodexed version of the stock rom

flashed it and the problem is now gone, and i can install apps from file managers etc   :)

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2023-12-16-19-37-50.png attachicon.gifScreenshot_2023-12-16-19-38-00.png attachicon.gifScreenshot_2023-12-16-19-38-09.png attachicon.gifScreenshot_2023-12-16-20-01-15.png attachicon.gifScreenshot_2023-12-16-20-01-31.png

will upload the repacked stock rom soon 

this phone is trolling me... now its not working again...  :huh:

anyway, i will upload both roms i was messing around with...

one is just pure stock but deodexed & the other has most of Motorola's stuff removed and replaced with AOSP

will also upload the removed stuff.

Guest irishpancake

I found out that moving the apk's to data thay install fine by the looks of it the sdcard dose not set the right permissions eg rw-rw-r

This is definitely true, moving or copying downloaded apk from /mnt/sdcard/download to /data enables install.....or any root folder!!!

Permissions as above when moved......but these are also there in sdcard download folder, exactly the same permissions in both locations....

rw-rw-r--  :huh: 

[Checked with JRummy Root Browser]

Edited by irishpancake

this phone is trolling me... now its not working again...  :huh:

anyway, i will upload both roms i was messing around with...

one is just pure stock but deodexed & the other has most of Motorola's stuff removed and replaced with AOSP

will also upload the removed stuff.

fixed it again, uploading now.

Guest henrythedog

Finally worked out how to install an .apk by using ADB. Followed this guide http://www.howtogeek.com/125769/

to install the jdk etc, had trouble making device work as no drivers could be found on my system for it, so went to the below

MOTO G - Software & Drivers and installed that, re-plugged my device and then my device showed up in the command line test. Then was finally able to install by adb method... no other method works for my moto g, tried everything like copying to data folder (but wouldn't do that), tried uploading to google drive, file uploaded fine, but wouldn't install from there either.. still got the parsing failed thing. Anyway, sorted now, finally :)

Hope the above works for others too.

Just tested again, and now I can install .apk files from google drive after doing the above.

Edited by henrythedog

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kieranc88

1. Download Es File Explorer from the Google Play Store.

2. Tick the fast access menu button in the top left corner of Es file explorer(looks like a globe with a picture of a phone in front of it)

3. When the menu pops out click the settings icon in the bottom right .

4. Scroll down to tools settings and click app manager.

5. Go to the last option and tick "(un)install apk automatically"

Es will then do the leg work for you when you want to install an apk, all you have to do is go to the folder in which it was downloaded and click the apk file.

I think this option is a lot easier than other workarounds that involve using google drive or moving the apk to a root folder.

You will need to turn on the root explorer option of Es file explorer for this to work, but if you need this workaround chances are you have an unlocked bootloader and are rooted. To turn on the root explorer click the fast access menu button in the top left corner, scroll down to root explorer ,click to on and grant superuser access.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MickJack

5. Go to the last option and tick "(un)install apk automatically"

I get stage 5 but it is greyed out, not an option ?

Edit: So I have been trying to install the odd app from Dropbox, worked in the past, but getting parsing error since root. Have emailed app to myself - still parsing error. Just pasted app into google drive and installed just as you would expect. funny old world eh !

Edited by MickJack