Remove the 'device unlocked' warning screen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest alpine101

part of the unlocking is the registration with motorola website, they record your device as unlocked, so they will always know

Well, not really. They may have recorded your registration for the unlock key, but since the command to run this is within the bootloader fastboot environment run from a pc dos box, there's no communication with Motorola or Google at that point. So they don't know whether you executed the unlock.

But of course, putting the phone into bootloader mode does display the 'unlocked' message which is a bit of a giveaway...

Edited by alpine101

Well, not really. They may have recorded your registration for the unlock key, but since the command to run this is within the bootloader fastboot environment run from a pc dos box, there's no communication with Motorola or Google at that point. So they don't know whether you executed the unlock.

But of course, putting the phone into bootloader mode does display the 'unlocked' message which is a bit of a giveaway...

The user agreement states that your warranty is void once you obtain the unlocking code, regardless of whether you actually go ahead and unlock it.

Guest alpine101

The user agreement states that your warranty is void once you obtain the unlocking code, regardless of whether you actually go ahead and unlock it.

Well, at least one person reads the small print! But it's all fairly meaningless isn't it. Just as it has been since my first efforts a number of years ago, attaching wires to the pads inside my first Motorola phone so I could install a different firmware...

Well, at least one person reads the small print! But it's all fairly meaningless isn't it. Just as it has been since my first efforts a number of years ago, attaching wires to the pads inside my first Motorola phone so I could install a different firmware...

I guess the issue is how comfortable one is with voiding their warranty when the phone hasn't been out for too long and we don't know how reliable it is. I've seen some issues with the battery dropping to 0 so I'm personally holding off on voiding the warranty just yet. My experience has been that Motorola is very particular about these things and have regularly denied warranty due to an unlocked bootloader.

Guest alpine101

I guess the issue is how comfortable one is with voiding their warranty when the phone hasn't been out for too long and we don't know how reliable it is. I've seen some issues with the battery dropping to 0 so I'm personally holding off on voiding the warranty just yet. My experience has been that Motorola is very particular about these things and have regularly denied warranty due to an unlocked bootloader.

What country are you in?

Guest irishpancake

This is not valid in the EU....you have a two year Statutory Warranty, which is separate from your manufacturers warranty....unless it is proven that you actually damaged your device by either hardware or software modification.

Apple have recently been forced to change the wording of their International Warranty to reflect EU law, as implemented in various EU countries, including the UK and Ireland.

I will provide links when I get back home.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/12/apple-changes-warranty-policy-in-belgium-to-offer-two-years-protection/

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

Update 2: The changes appear to be EU wide as pictured above.

Update: Apple updated its warranty policy in France and Germany too. (Thanks @settebit)

Belgian consumer groups have been following the move of Italian regulators in recent months to push Apple for changes to its warranty programs in order to clarify rules regarding a statutory warranty enforced by EU law that requires companies to make sure products are free from defects for two years. It isn’t the only other nation pushing for changes to warranties, consumers groups in at least Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, and Portugal had also filed lawsuits against Apple over its AppleCare and warranty practices. Now, Dutch-language a-n-v.be reports Apple has tweaked its online warranty program in Belgium to meet EU law.

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/consumer_topics/buying_goods_services_en.htm

What rights on your shopping trips in the EU?

Wherever you shop in the EU, you have the same set of EU-wide consumer rights as a minimum

Your main EU-wide rights as a shopperinclude:

• The 2-year guarantee
  • If a product turns out to be faulty or not as advertised (‘non-conformity’), you have a 2-year guarantee, which means the seller must repair or replace it free of charge.
  • The 2-year guarantee is an EU-wide minimum, and the laws in some EU countries may offer you longer limitation periods.
  • [!] In some countries, once the first 6 months of the two-year guarantee period have passed, you may need to prove that the product was faulty or not as advertised when you received it, if the seller contests this. In some countries, there are also deadlines for contacting the seller after discovering the defect.
Edited by irishpancake