Worried about rooting my 16GB Moto G.

Guest TescoHudl

Guest TescoHudl

This afternoon i retrieved my bootloader unlocking code from the Motorola website (After several days of unsuccessful attempts, asking on forums and pestering Motorola customer services for a solution to why i was getting "Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking". In the end it turned out to be a simple, but hard to spot mistake i had made when copying the code). 

I have the phone ready to unlock it's bootloader, but i can't decide whether i actually want to root. There are some major points which are worrying me with the root on this particular device. I have rooted a 2012 Nexus 7 and a Tesco Hudl in the past without too many problems.

1. The first problem, and the one that is putting me off the most, is the fact that i am going to loose the warranty if i unlock the bootloader. On the Nexus 7, the bootloader could be relocked once it had been returned to the stock ROM and un-rooted. My Nexus ended up with several faulty components throughout it's lifetime, and eventually it needed replacing through the warranty. The tablet was in such bad condition because of a major touchscreen fault and a knackered battery, it could not be repaired. It's lucky that i could make the warranty valid again by relocking the bootloader, otherwise i would have been in trouble. 

The Tesco Hudl doesn't even appear to have a bootloader?? When i rooted it, i didn't need to unlock one at any point. It's easily turned back to stock in the event of something going wrong.

Once the Moto G's bootloader has been unlocked however, it cannot be relocked without leaving traces behind, meaning that the warranty cannot be got back once invalidated. So if it suffers a hardware fault like most of my devices have in the past, i will have nowhere to go with it.

2. Many users are reporting problems with both root methods. After reading over the topics on Modaco, it seems as if there's a 50% chance it will actually work. The root looks easy in Paul's descriptions, but i'm not so sure it will be from what other users are saying.

3. Most people who have rooted are unable to install APK's via file managers on their Moto G's. When installing an APK, a message appears showing a parsing error. I install many APK's through my device every day, so this would be a large inconvenience. 

However, the root would be a great benefit to me. I would be able to use tweaks such as the Xposed framework, Stickmount and ROM Toolbox Pro, along with many others.

Could anyone advise me on the points i have made above please... I desperately want to root my phone but i can't bring myself to do so with these issues around. I really do need to know some possible solutions or workarounds to the problems.

Cheers... :)

This afternoon i retrieved my bootloader unlocking code from the Motorola website (After several days of unsuccessful attempts, asking on forums and pestering Motorola customer services for a solution to why i was getting "Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking". In the end it turned out to be a simple, but hard to spot mistake i had made when copying the code). I have the phone ready to unlock it's bootloader, but i can't decide whether i actually want to root. There are some major points which are worrying me with the root on this particular device. I have rooted a 2012 Nexus 7 and a Tesco Hudl in the past without too many problems. 1. The first problem, and the one that is putting me off the most, is the fact that i am going to loose the warranty if i unlock the bootloader. On the Nexus 7, the bootloader could be relocked once it had been returned to the stock ROM and un-rooted. My Nexus ended up with several faulty components throughout it's lifetime, and eventually it needed replacing through the warranty. The tablet was in such bad condition because of a major touchscreen fault and a knackered battery, it could not be repaired. It's lucky that i could make the warranty valid again by relocking the bootloader, otherwise i would have been in trouble. The Tesco Hudl doesn't even appear to have a bootloader?? When i rooted it, i didn't need to unlock one at any point. It's easily turned back to stock in the event of something going wrong. Once the Moto G's bootloader has been unlocked however, it cannot be relocked without leaving traces behind, meaning that the warranty cannot be got back once invalidated. So if it suffers a hardware fault like most of my devices have in the past, i will have nowhere to go with it. 2. Many users are reporting problems with both root methods. After reading over the topics on Modaco, it seems as if there's a 50% chance it will actually work. The root looks easy in Paul's descriptions, but i'm not so sure it will be from what other users are saying. 3. Most people who have rooted are unable to install APK's via file managers on their Moto G's. When installing an APK, a message appears showing a parsing error. I install many APK's through my device every day, so this would be a large inconvenience. However, the root would be a great benefit to me. I would be able to use tweaks such as the Xposed framework, Stickmount and ROM Toolbox Pro, along with many others. Could anyone advise me on the points i have made above please... I desperately want to root my phone but i can't bring myself to do so with these issues around. I really do need to know some possible solutions or workarounds to the problems. Cheers... :)
] 1. The device has just been released and yes relocking bootloader will leave traces behind... but I am pretty confident that sooner or later we will be able to lock it without leaving traces behind.... someone always finds a way. 2. Ive rooted successfully 2 moto g using 2nd method, it works if you follow the instructions properly and i had a few problems on the way but were easily fixed (usb driver issue). 3. I had this issue when I switched my phone in for the first time and tried to install apks from sdcarf, paul also confirms hes had this problem on a non rooted phone. Factory reset solved the problem. Personally I wouldnt buy an android device and not root it, all ny devices are rooted :D Edited by ahac85

Guest TescoHudl

1. The device has just been released and yes relocking bootloader will leave traces behind... but I am pretty confident that sooner or later we will be able to lock it without leaving traces behind.... someone always finds a way.

It would be good if someone could develop a mod to remove the unlocked bootloader notifications, but you say 'sooner or later', suggesting that it could be anywhere between a couple of days or several months. Obviously we can't predict when it will be released, or if someone is even working on it, but i don't want to keep hanging on waiting for no reason. It would make more sense if a mod was developed to hide the traces after a bootloader unlock, now that most people have already gone and done it.

2. Ive rooted successfully 2 moto g using 2nd method, it works if you follow the instructions properly and i had a few problems on the way but were easily fixed (usb driver issue).

Yes, i'm sure i would be able to root my Moto G eventually, but it seems like a very troublesome process. Most people who have posted in the root threads are complaining about problems with the root, which is putting me off bothering with it. It's weird how some people can root and others can't when using the exact same methods.

3. I had this issue when I switched my phone in for the first time and tried to install apks from sdcarf, paul also confirms hes had this problem on a non rooted phone. Factory reset solved the problem.

How can i do a hard reset on the Moto G, like you suggest? On the Tesco Hudl, it could be done by pressing the reset pin on the back, but the Moto G doesn't appear to have one.

Cheers! :)

Edited by TescoHudl

IMO it's not that the root methods have 50% chance of working, it's that 100% of Moto Gs have a buggy firmware. Especially in the area of USB / ADB. Hopefully the official KitKat update will change this.

Edited by jlost

• 3 weeks later...
Guest robalbino

This afternoon i retrieved my bootloader unlocking code from the Motorola website (After several days of unsuccessful attempts, asking on forums and pestering Motorola customer services for a solution to why i was getting "Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking". In the end it turned out to be a simple, but hard to spot mistake i had made when copying the code). 

I have the phone ready to unlock it's bootloader, but i can't decide whether i actually want to root. There are some major points which are worrying me with the root on this particular device. I have rooted a 2012 Nexus 7 and a Tesco Hudl in the past without too many problems.

1. The first problem, and the one that is putting me off the most, is the fact that i am going to loose the warranty if i unlock the bootloader. On the Nexus 7, the bootloader could be relocked once it had been returned to the stock ROM and un-rooted. My Nexus ended up with several faulty components throughout it's lifetime, and eventually it needed replacing through the warranty. The tablet was in such bad condition because of a major touchscreen fault and a knackered battery, it could not be repaired. It's lucky that i could make the warranty valid again by relocking the bootloader, otherwise i would have been in trouble. 

The Tesco Hudl doesn't even appear to have a bootloader?? When i rooted it, i didn't need to unlock one at any point. It's easily turned back to stock in the event of something going wrong.

Once the Moto G's bootloader has been unlocked however, it cannot be relocked without leaving traces behind, meaning that the warranty cannot be got back once invalidated. So if it suffers a hardware fault like most of my devices have in the past, i will have nowhere to go with it.

2. Many users are reporting problems with both root methods. After reading over the topics on Modaco, it seems as if there's a 50% chance it will actually work. The root looks easy in Paul's descriptions, but i'm not so sure it will be from what other users are saying.

3. Most people who have rooted are unable to install APK's via file managers on their Moto G's. When installing an APK, a message appears showing a parsing error. I install many APK's through my device every day, so this would be a large inconvenience. 

However, the root would be a great benefit to me. I would be able to use tweaks such as the Xposed framework, Stickmount and ROM Toolbox Pro, along with many others.

Could anyone advise me on the points i have made above please... I desperately want to root my phone but i can't bring myself to do so with these issues around. I really do need to know some possible solutions or workarounds to the problems.

hello, how you could unlock your Moto G, because some days I am trying to unlock my and I can not, at the Motorola website says the following "Your device is not eligible for release" could you tell me what you did to unlock the her.
Specifications of my Moto G, dual-sim 16gb of Brazil please help me thanks

Guest TescoHudl

Best best advice i can give is to go to the Motorola website and follow the instructions carefully on unlocking the bootloader here: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a/action/auth

​My problem occurred because when i copied the code from the command prompt, i pasted it into a Notepad window. Notepad had word wrap enabled (Where it squashes the words into the window dimensions, so you don't have to keep scrolling). The word wrap feature had made a new line in the middle of unlocking code line, which hid a space i had failed to remove. When i tried to activate the code, the Motorola website told me that it was invalid, because there was a space i hadn't seen. 

When you copy the code into the website, make sure there aren't any spaces! Take your time and check the code thoroughly, then it should work! If not, contact Motorola support via their live chat service like i did!